The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

it's ironic, because in the early days of the BN version of FM Stevie was most definitely NOT the face of the band. She was most often the butt of some at times nasty jokes. They made fun of EVERYTHING about her that is considered iconic now-- her stage antics, her voice, oh god her voice, the way she articulated her lyrics (the number of parodies portraying her singing as an incomprehensible garbled mess of braying vibrato), the lyrics themselves, on and on and on. She was just trashed in the press and by radio stations for a long time. And when her voice gave out on tour, the reviews were not nice. Mick was the figurehead and the main face/voice in interviews.

Over time clearly that all changed and from Rumours onward she became seen as this sexy siren and thanks a whole lot to Herbert Worthington's images of her she really became THE face of the band (visually). Once her solo career took off, that was it.

Then she became the joke again-- drugs, crappy songs, rehab. Then she got fat, which in this culture made her more of a joke than being stoned out of her head.

Then she bounced back. Even though the triumphant return was the whole band on The Dance, it added to the big, epic legend of Stevie Nicks which, like any good legend (think, say, Elizabeth Taylor) is full of big dramatic ups and downs and turbulence and love affairs and addiction and rehab and success and failure and all that. That's the stuff that sells magazines. And because she always was willing to talk about it all, people felt like they knew her story. And all that transcends music. The others in comparison were more reserved about letting the public into their private lives and didn't give the same types of interviews-- or have the same need for attention Stevie does.

She always WANTED to be the center of attention, and did whatever it took to BE the center of attention. The result now is, as Christine said, Stevie is like a brand. And that transcends music, the quality of her songs, or whether she ever writes anything new again. She is, rightly or wrongly, at this point the touchstone for most of the general public.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank the Lard for Stevie. Fleetwood Mac couldn't have survived without her.

I'm certain that Stevie would agree, and her legion of fans.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I disagree. She's the face of Fleetwood Mac.
Almost as much as Mick Jagger is the face of
the Rolling Stones. Or Robert Plant for Zeppelin.
She's the most famous. I don't dispute that. But even in the last 10 years since I've been collecting the FM stories, I don't see her dominating FM discussions like she once did. In the eighties and nineties, it was a different story.

Michele
Old 08-29-2015, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
none of these statistics matter, the most recognizable member of Fleetwood Mac is Stevie Nicks. I know people leave the concerts amazed at Lindsey's guitar prowess.. but the fact is, Stevie is the cultural touchstone of the band. she's lost several steps from her heyday, but she is the face of Fleetwood Mac.
Your fallacy is assuming that Stevie's very public brand is somehow synonymous with that of Fleetwood Mac's brand. She's part of it, but the actual lion's share of songs that were played ad nauseam back in the day, the singles, the songs that made Fleetwood Mac a legend, were largely Christine's. Christine doesn't have a brand independent of Fleetwood Mac (it was never a high priority). Christine is synonymous with Fleetwood Mac. The Fleetwood Mac brand was severely diminished without her. Fleetwood Mac was never able to get past Christine's departure.

Quote:
I disagree. She's the face of Fleetwood Mac.
Almost as much as Mick Jagger is the face of
the Rolling Stones. Or Robert Plant for Zeppelin.
I completely disagree.

The better (maybe only) comparison would be to Neil Young with Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. Yes, Neil is the star of the band. Without Neil, they play to amphitheaters. With Neil, they play to sold-out stadiums. Neil is heavily associated with their classic sound and image, and is unquestionably the most visible member and the biggest name in the group. Neil and Stevie have brands independent of their respective bands.

However, their respective bands also have unique brands, which aren't necessarily dependent on the star player. CSN has proven to be a viable brand without Neil. Fleetwood Mac would most likely be viable without Stevie if Christine and Lindsey were still there (don't give me that "Time" bulls**t) because of how intertwined they are with the Fleetwood Mac brand.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-30-2015, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still puzzled on the part about the namesake of the band are in the basement of the earnings scale.

Its like some business CEO's giving up most or some of their salary and put their money back into the company to keep it strong.

Maybe thats whats up with the Mac and keep the other 3 happy and it will keep the band in business.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 08-30-2015, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie's the car.
Lindsey's the driver.
Christine's the backseat passenger.
John and Mick are the tires.

Stevie - 30%
Lindsey - 25%
Christine - 25%
John - 10%
Mick - 10%

That's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
well except these days Stevie has moved into the driver's seat. I'd make Lindsey the engine these days-- he's the only one giving energy to try and move them forward.
Hahahahaha.Thats a different way looking at it.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I'm still puzzled on the part about the namesake of the band are in the basement of the earnings scale.

Its like some business CEO's giving up most or some of their salary and put their money back into the company to keep it strong.

Maybe thats whats up with the Mac and keep the other 3 happy and it will keep the band in business.
well. 10% of a 1.5million gross per night beats 50% of a 50,000 gross. I'd take the 10%
Old 08-30-2015, 09:57 AM

With diehard fans she is popular, adored, and weirdly imitated in wardrobe. But the general public doesn't care much for her. She is like the Rosanne Bar of singers, one classic rock fan said to me.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
The Fleetwood Mac brand was severely diminished without her. Fleetwood Mac was never able to get past Christine's departure.
I agree that the band was diminished without her and I might concede that for some people SYW was proof that the band could not get past her departure in the studio. But on stage, I think the quartet did very well without Christine. They're better with her, but the live shows with the four of them were not failures either from the stance of an audience member or an accountant.

Michele
Old 08-30-2015, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Time version did not get anywhere but it was made up with great musicians.