Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Stevie - MOJO - 'The Story Behind Christine McVie's Live Return'

http://www.mojo4music.com/7148/fleet...live-comeback/

Fleetwood Mac: The Story Behind Christine’s Live Return

Lindsey Buckingham nearly blocked last night’s onstage reunion, reveals Stevie Nicks in MOJO scoop.

By ANDREW MALE SEPTEMBER 26, 2013

Stevie Nicks has talked to MOJO about Christine McVie’s on-stage return to Fleetwood Mac last night at London’s O2 Arena.

Speaking in an interview to be published in MOJO 241 (UK shelf date October 29) the diminutive Mac singer confirmed that while McVie, who left the group in 1998, has “just returned to do one song” it could have been “a few songs” if it hadn’t been for one particular stumbling block.

“Lindsey [Buckingham] is very funny about that,” Nicks told MOJO’s James McNair. “I think his words were ‘She can’t just come and go’. That’s important to him, but it’s not quite so important to me. Much as Lindsey adores her; and he does – she’s the only one in Fleetwood Mac he was ever willing to listen to – he doesn’t want the first night reviews to be all about Christine’s one song, rather than the set we rehearsed for two months.”

McVie was met with rapturous applause last night when she joined her old band to play keyboards and sing Don’t Stop, and she will be appearing with the group again at their final O2 show tomorrow. But, while the route to the stage hasn’t necessarily been a smooth one, Nicks also added that “it will be wonderful to have her back up there with us. And from there who knows.”

In a candid, funny and emotional interview, Nicks goes on to discuss her childhood, her solo career (“Fleetwood Mac weren’t that impressed”) the “unresolved” aspects of her and Buckingham’s relationship, and the bizarre night she slept on the floor of Prince’s purple kitchen.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 09-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I realize Lindsey is a perfectionist & an uncompromising idealist... but come on. Christine was in Fleetwood Mac before he joined. She remained in Fleetwood Mac after he left. She was married to John for many years. She is in the rock & roll hall of fame along with Lindsey. The woman should have a right to step on a Fleetwood Mac stage any time she damn well pleases.

You'd think Mick, John, and Stevie would have ganged up and put Lindsey in his place on this. Surely they all know how badly us fans have been aching for this for the past 15 years. And how we'd love to hear more than 1 song, too. Not to mention, I'm quite certain Mick, John, and Stevie are probably hoping for Christine's return even more than the rest of us. Plus, it's the digital age... regardless of Christine performing 1 song or 12, it'd be out there on the internet for posterity.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As I've said in the Christine in London thread, it's all about the ego.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 09-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I realize Lindsey is a perfectionist & an uncompromising idealist... but come on. Christine was in Fleetwood Mac before he joined. She remained in Fleetwood Mac after he left. She was married to John for many years. She is in the rock & roll hall of fame along with Lindsey. The woman should have a right to step on a Fleetwood Mac stage any time she damn well pleases.

You'd think Mick, John, and Stevie would have ganged up and put Lindsey in his place on this. Surely they all know how badly us fans have been aching for this for the past 15 years. And how we'd love to hear more than 1 song, too. Not to mention, I'm quite certain Mick, John, and Stevie are probably hoping for Christine's return even more than the rest of us. Plus, it's the digital age... regardless of Christine performing 1 song or 12, it'd be out there on the internet for posterity.
Shoot, then he'd probably do something dramatic, like leave the band again...I mean, be a little gracious for one of the people who built the foundation of the band you're living off of...
Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey does have a point on not wanting the first night to be about "the Christine McVie show", but I wish he let her perform a few more songs on the second two nights, at least.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
Lindsey does have a point on not wanting the first night to be about "the Christine McVie show", but I wish he let her perform a few more songs on the second two nights, at least.
Heck, I don't even see why it shouldn't be the Christine McVie show! I do understand the idea that all of the other band members have spent months rehearsing and then on the road, but still, if she has the skill to just jump right in, then why not?...I'm just frustrated.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueletter18 View Post
Heck, I don't even see why it shouldn't be the Christine McVie show! I do understand the idea that all of the other band members have spent months rehearsing and then on the road, but still, if she has the skill to just jump right in, then why not?...I'm just frustrated.
I feel your frustration, my friend. I love the guy and respect his talents, but he can be a little [CENSORED] sometimes. Besides, it's only two nights.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
http://www.mojo4music.com/7148/fleet...live-comeback/

Fleetwood Mac: The Story Behind Christine’s Live Return

Lindsey Buckingham nearly blocked last night’s onstage reunion, reveals Stevie Nicks in MOJO scoop.

By ANDREW MALE SEPTEMBER 26, 2013

Stevie Nicks has talked to MOJO about Christine McVie’s on-stage return to Fleetwood Mac last night at London’s O2 Arena.

Speaking in an interview to be published in MOJO 241 (UK shelf date October 29) the diminutive Mac singer confirmed that while McVie, who left the group in 1998, has “just returned to do one song” it could have been “a few songs” if it hadn’t been for one particular stumbling block.

“Lindsey [Buckingham] is very funny about that,” Nicks told MOJO’s James McNair. “I think his words were ‘She can’t just come and go’. That’s important to him, but it’s not quite so important to me. Much as Lindsey adores her; and he does – she’s the only one in Fleetwood Mac he was ever willing to listen to – he doesn’t want the first night reviews to be all about Christine’s one song, rather than the set we rehearsed for two months.”

McVie was met with rapturous applause last night when she joined her old band to play keyboards and sing Don’t Stop, and she will be appearing with the group again at their final O2 show tomorrow. But, while the route to the stage hasn’t necessarily been a smooth one, Nicks also added that “it will be wonderful to have her back up there with us. And from there who knows.”

In a candid, funny and emotional interview, Nicks goes on to discuss her childhood, her solo career (“Fleetwood Mac weren’t that impressed”) the “unresolved” aspects of her and Buckingham’s relationship, and the bizarre night she slept on the floor of Prince’s purple kitchen.
Lindsey needs to grow the F up!! Come on. It's two nights out of the entire tour. He can read through glowing reviews of every show they've played and will continue to play for rest of the tour if he needs his ego stroked that badly. This really, really surprises me and somewhat reduces my respect for Lindsey. To me, his attitude is petty, childish and yes, ego driven. He, of all people, should try to have a little empathy and understanding of Christine - her reasons for leaving in the first place and her desire to return to the stage. And yes, Lindsey, she can "just come and go" because ultimately it's not up to you. Her fans have given her that right. Her fans say it's OK and that's all that matters.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 09-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not that Lindsey's concerns aren't valid - they are, and it makes sense. It's just that it seems a bit ridiculous at this point in the game. Fleetwood Mac doesn't have anything to prove. They're going to have glowing reviews whether or not Christine is there.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
It's not that Lindsey's concerns aren't valid - they are, and it makes sense. It's just that it seems a bit ridiculous at this point in the game. Fleetwood Mac doesn't have anything to prove. They're going to have glowing reviews whether or not Christine is there.
I was gonna say the same thing.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oh my lord. This is why I need to check before posting and not write late at night. I don't think you can change thread titles can you? Off to go hide in shame for the misspelling of Chris' surname. Oops, my apologies...

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think there are some complexities to the situation that need to be acknowledged. I'm sure Lindsey has a very big ego and has enjoyed having to share less musical space post-Christine and all that, yes, but there are other things at play here. Christine changes the dynamic of the band completely. It is something of a different band with her, and adjustments are made when she's there vs. when she's absent. I think the idea that she could potentially flit in and out of it as she sees fit could be very frustrating indeed, given that, and I can see Lindsey's trepidation.

Yes, it's only one song for two nights. That's why he agreed to it. But I imagine he'd want to avoid setting a precedent for having a "part-time" member of the band who's only there when it suits her. I'm not saying Christine would've become that, in fact I'm sure she wouldn't, and she probably only really wanted to do one song anyway. But I do think he just wanted to draw a line. I can understand why he'd want to be cautious. It all seems fair enough, to me.

The outrage here would be more warranted if the article said that Christine was planning on playing with the band and then Lindsey stepped in and said "no", so she didn't. But that isn't what happened.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Oh my lord. This is why I need to check before posting and not write late at night. I don't think you can change thread titles can you? Off to go hide in shame for the misspelling of Chris' surname. Oops, my apologies...
Fixed it for you.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Obviously a line has to be drawn somewhere, but if, hypothetically, she is to rejoin, I don't see Christine as the type who would just go in and out as she sees fit. A more likely scenario is that she gives her terms, they work with it and try to compromise, after which she's in for the long haul. What, IMO, is frustrating for many people is how Lindsey saw performing a few more songs on the London shows as her "coming and going"

Old 09-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
Obviously a line has to be drawn somewhere, but if, hypothetically, she is to rejoin, I don't see Christine as the type who would just go in and out as she sees fit. A more likely scenario is that she gives her terms, they work with it and try to compromise, after which she's in for the long haul. What, IMO, is frustrating for many people is how Lindsey saw performing a few more songs on the London shows as her "coming and going"
But we need to keep in mind that the quotes from this article are taken out of context from a conversation that Lindsey had with Stevie. And the analysis written is all based on speculation on her part. Christine isn't the type who would just "come and go", but Stevie would probably be on board with such a scenario if it were to come up, and it's Stevie that Lindsey was responding to. We don't know the whole conversation that Lindsey and Stevie had, but these quotes are not necessarily Lindsey's complete feelings on the entire situation.