User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM Playing NY Tennis Event 8/29

Hamptons Magazine

[When I call the number, I only get a busy signal. So, I don't know if this is still a go]

http://www.hamptons-magazine.com/edletter.html

Finally, this marks the 25th anniversary - and the last summer -- of the famed Huggy Bear tennis tournament that Teddy Forstmann started in honor of his brother, Nick. Don't miss the exhibition match with the top two doubles teams in the world, Mike and Bob Bryan and Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor, and the party finale on August 29 with a performance by Fleetwood Mac. For ticket information call Julia Harris at 212-627-0578. Proceeds go to Keep a Child Alive and the Southampton Fresh Air Home.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, even if I had the money to go to this, I probably wouldn't be connected enough to get in. It's like a secret society:

http://www.danshamptons.com/content/...1_2007/60.html

Issue #21, August 17, 2007

The Best Kept Secret In The Hamptons

For more than 20 years, the Huggy Bear Invitational, known as tennis' "best-kept secret," according to Tennis Magazine, has been one of the world's most popular five-day, 32-team, professional and amateur doubles events. Even if you are one of the Hamptons' most popular socialites, it is quite probable that you have never heard of the Huggy Bear. And you are not alone. For many years, the Huggy Bear has been kept as an in-the-know event. The press was not permitted to enter the concealed doors of the tournament, and thus, little is known about it.

The Huggy Bear is held every year by the Forstmann family and other wealthy philanthropists to raise money for children's charities all over the world. Started in 1985 by Tony Forstmann with his friends and local tennis pros in the backyard of his Hamptons' residence, they named the grounds Camp Huggy Bears (which is supposedly a reference to Tony's nickname - he is quite the hugger). A few years later, brothers Ted and Nick Forstmann got involved in the tournament, and it was during this time they decided to turn it into a charity event. Matches were played at Camp Huggy Bears, Ted's Southampton estate and other private courts in the area with a highly exclusive guest list. Dividing the tournament into two sections, one for professionals and amateurs and the other for professionals and ex-professionals, many of the sport's biggest names were attracted. Each year, the top doubles players in the world come to the Huggy Bear the week before the U.S. Open. Players such as Ken Rosewall, John McEnroe and Martina Navratilova have all participated in the tournament.

It may seem unlikely for touring tennis professionals to feel an urgent need to participate in such a tournament, but this is not the case. Not only do entrants compete for the opportunity to receive a large cash prize, but the system set up for the Huggy Bear also encompasses a bisque system - a chance to use one or more free points at any time during a match. Each team in the tournament is given a different bisque handicap, which is designated by Ted Forstmann and the Tournament Director, Tom Annear. This system creates a great deal of hype and excitement for the players.

Not only are there intense tennis matches at the Huggy Bear, there is also an elegant party on the Saturday night of the tournament. In 2006, located outside the Southampton Hospital, a tent was pitched to accommodate the hundreds of people who attended the annual benefit dinner. Celebrities such as Faith Hill, the Dixie Chicks, The Temptations, Roger Waters and Ray Charles are among the entertainers who have performed at the event. In addition, Gwen Stefani attended the 2006 dinner with her husband, Gavin Rossdale, who also participated in the tournament.

Since its inception, the Huggy Bear has raised almost $30 million for numerous charities, including The Hole in The Wall Gang, a camp started by Paul Newman for children with cancer and other chronic diseases and Friends of Nick, a charity started in memory of Nick Forstmann, who died of lung cancer in 2001, that awards scholarships to inner-city students.

After Nick died six years ago, the Huggy Bear's chances of continuation were slim to none. Nevertheless, after a long period of lobbying by supporters, Forstmann agreed to host the Huggy Bear for one more year in 2005, and then agreed to extend the tournament until it reaches its 25th anniversary in 2009.

The 2007 Huggy Bear Invitational will be held from August 22-26. The celebration dinner on Saturday night will include cocktails, dinner and a special performance by Stevie Nicks. This year's tournament will help to benefit charities including, Keep a Child Alive, ACE Africa, Friends of Nick, Southampton Fresh Air Home, United Friends of the Children, Hollygrove, Vijay Armitraj Foundation and National Foundation for Teaching Entrepreneurship.

- Evie Salomon
Old 08-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Well, even if I had the money to go to this, I probably wouldn't be connected enough to get in. It's like a secret society:
I wonder how much it costs to get tickets. I wonder if you can pay for just closing night and not all 5 days.

I wonder how much FM is being paid for the gig.

Michele
Old 08-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I wonder how much it costs to get tickets. I wonder if you can pay for just closing night and not all 5 days.

Michele
They always play the most random events....

When I heard Stevie was performing at the City of Hope benefit, I was praying that she did her song City of Hope. I would have never complained again...
Old 08-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
I read that last year's event raised 1.5 million. And you have to keep in mind that this is being held at some dude's oceanfront estate, so it's not like some kind of stadium. So I think tickets should be in the $1000-$2500 easily, if not more. The same night, Rufus Wainwright and Nora Jones are doing a benefit show in Water Mill where tickets are in the $500 range, so this is not too unreasonable for a Hamptons society event. I would totally pay $2000 just for the surreal experience of pretending like I'm of this social element and being able to drink champagne under a white tent while watching my favorite band. My house is way north of the highway, so I'm always up for the opportunity to peak behind the hedges into the lives of those who live south of the highway!
Old 08-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wanna go. A semi-private show like that would be amazing.

I can always dream...
Old 08-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
I wanna go. A semi-private show like that would be amazing.

I can always dream...
Yes, if it was in California, I'd try to go.

The problem is, at those prices I could only get one ticket and the more private a function, the more awkward it is to show up alone. I think nothing of going to regular concerts alone, but small charity or corporate functions are different.

Once the music started, it wouldn't be a problem. But milling about stag before the concert . . . I've done it before and it's the pits.

Still, I'd do it, given the opportunity.

Michele
Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But milling about stag before the concert . . . I've done it before and it's the pits.
Well, I beg to disagree! These kinds of events are ripe for celebri-stalking. And it would finally give me an excuse to buy white pants. I relish the thought of going out, popping the collar of my Ralph Lauren purple label shirt and and acting like a total self-important douchebag- for just one night. Although some would argue that I am a douchebag full-time anyway, but that's another matter for another time... And it's not inconceivable that FM members (as well as their extended clans) would be milling about and pressing the flesh.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, if it was in California, I'd try to go.

The problem is, at those prices I could only get one ticket and the more private a function, the more awkward it is to show up alone. I think nothing of going to regular concerts alone, but small charity or corporate functions are different.

Once the music started, it wouldn't be a problem. But milling about stag before the concert . . . I've done it before and it's the pits.

Still, I'd do it, given the opportunity.

Michele
I would have been in the exact same situation-- so you would actually have a buddy if they ever magically came and did something similar in California!

But honestly, I am going to get serious about this entire "Fleetwood Mac and Stevie thing" (as my mom lovingly calls it) considering we don't have a whole ton of time left with them. If they started doing smaller shows like Heart, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc in upcoming years just for kicks.... I would be ECSTATIC.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Well, I beg to disagree! These kinds of events are ripe for celebri-stalking. And it would finally give me an excuse to buy white pants. I relish the thought of going out, popping the collar of my Ralph Lauren purple label shirt and and acting like a total self-important douchebag- for just one night. Although some would argue that I am a douchebag full-time anyway, but that's another matter for another time... And it's not inconceivable that FM members (as well as their extended clans) would be milling about and pressing the flesh.
But would you be comfortable alone? It's easier to blend in, if you're with someone else. Then you can celebrity-stalk together without looking like that's what you're doing. You can pretend to be discussing your other summer home, all while really checking out how Mick is feeding Stevie the duck confit.

Michele
Old 08-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But would you be comfortable alone? It's easier to blend in, if you're with someone else. Then you can celebrity-stalk together without looking like that's what you're doing. You can pretend to be discussing your other summer home, all while really checking out how Mick is feeding Stevie the duck confit.

Michele
That's the worst part about going to FM concerts with middle-of-the-road fans. My parents were doubting my sanity when I was like, running in circles at the show. I got especially weird looks when I started crying when we were on the stage before the show hahahahahahaha
Old 08-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I found an article from 2006 donations are 4 levels. Papa bear is $75000.00 being the top level and Baby bear being the lowest at $10000.00
Old 08-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD View Post
I found an article from 2006 donations are 4 levels. Papa bear is $75000.00 being the top level and Baby bear being the lowest at $10000.00
Wow! And it might be more now with inflation.

Michele
Old 08-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD View Post
Are you sure they don't have a fetal bear level?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Stevie has done this event before. I think Don Henley or one of her musical friends is somehow connected with it.