Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac... the ORIGINAL reality show?

So I had a bit of an epiphany while banging my head on the wall after reading Stevie's deep thoughts on the homeless in the Stevie forum . Why is it we're all still here? Strictly speaking, this band only released 5 studio albums, and not all of them great. The most popular incarnation of Fleetwood Mac hasn't released a new studio album in nearly 23 years now, and aren't likely ever to again. 7 years later, the fans are still bickering about whether the 60% Rumours band's last album was any good. I'm finding myself scratching my head at why I still care about these folks .

Lindsey has always said the soap opera was a big aspect of many people's interest in the band. I think he might have been on the right path, but simply used an incorrect term. After all, soap operas are scripted and use soft lighting... wait, that hits too close to home . I think what's more correct is that Fleetwood Mac was the original and longest running reality show! Listening to Stevie and Lindsey badmouth each other in the press just never gets old, hearing Lindsey dribble about being a forgotten visionary, and Stevie vapidly spew out her deep thoughts on the homeless vs the rich... you can't write this sh!t! Not to mention the ongoing witch hunt (hah!) about who Stevie is currently banging, if she and Lindsey are still really writing songs about each other... and I understand why Christine was a perpetual hot mess of a drunk! Do we really just tune in for the drama and can't-buy-it banter? I'm starting to think it's yes for me!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it is more than just the music - it has to be. I like lots of different kinds of music but Fleetwood Mac has been my band since I was 14 although I'm not in love with them anymore but I think we are still friends.

Fleetwood Mac is not your average band. We enjoyed Rumours all the more because of the background to its recording.

However I have to say that the talk of Stevie & Lindsey's relationship gets right up my nose these days ITS OVER for Gods sake!

But yes generally I would say it's more than music

Gail
Old 12-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Louie, for me, it's seemingly the only group who's songs I don't "skip over" and I never get tired of listening to them. I love Queen, Tom Petty, the Beatles... and many other bands... but I have to be in the right mood to listen to them. Fleetwood Mac is enjoyable at all times for me. Must be the music, mate.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I think we may be here, in a forum, for reasons that go beyond the music to the personalities.

But Fleetwood Mac is still loved by a lot of casual fans and it's not because of the sex and drug saga anymore (though that may have attracted a lot of people 30 years ago). It's just because the music endures, I believe.

Michele
Old 12-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oh come on guys... you weren't supposed to take this seriously. Where are my smart @ss responses? Carrie? Anyone?