Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:38 AM
Registered

Default Wheelchair user told she can’t sit with friends at Rogers Arena

A Vancouver Island woman who uses a wheelchair wants Rogers Arena to change its policy after repeatedly being told she can only enjoy shows next to one friend or family member.

Joan Knowler said the issue came up most recently when she tried buying Fleetwood Mac tickets through Ticketmaster earlier this week.
She wanted to sit with her husband and another couple, but was told her that wasn’t possible due to her disability.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/wheelchair-user...rena-1.1772784
Old 04-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
A Vancouver Island woman who uses a wheelchair wants Rogers Arena to change its policy after repeatedly being told she can only enjoy shows next to one friend or family member.

Joan Knowler said the issue came up most recently when she tried buying Fleetwood Mac tickets through Ticketmaster earlier this week.
She wanted to sit with her husband and another couple, but was told her that wasn’t possible due to her disability.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/wheelchair-user...rena-1.1772784
That is just sad. Maybe she can be assisted out of her wheelchair into a seat and the wheelchair removed to a waiting area so at least she can sit by her husband for the show and enjoy it. Having to do that is unfair, but at least she could be by her husband/friends. Aren't there disability laws in Vancouver?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Ledgie

I'm sorry but that policy doesn't seem bad to me at all. I would love to sit by my friends too but I could only get decent seats in pairs of two. So I don't see the difference.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it is a fair policy as well.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ I agree. Sometimes one of my friends who is visually impaired (blind in 1 eye) gets one of the seats offered by the venues for visually impaired and handicapped individuals. Often we go together or with a larger group. I can't imagine a venue being obligated to have special seating available for any number that may be in your party for such event. Having a companion seems reasonable to me. Lets say you went with a group of 6, then others looking for accessible seating may be left out entirely. Basically no matter what you can not please everybody and I think their policy is reasonable to sit with a companion.

After searching more for that venue it seems they have the practice of offering such guest that complain special perks including free meet/greets etc. As they say the squeaky wheel gets the grease.