The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink Opening up old wounds to make amends...

Has anyone recently decided to attempt to muster enough courage to try and communicate with someone from their past that they truly cared about but lost touch with as life continued on?

I finally contacted someone who was always my closet friend while growing up...And I feel great for doing it. We were always close when we were younger, Almost more brother/sister than ever boyfriend/girlfriend (I basically lived at her home through-out my teen years, Her mother sorta hated me at first until she found out my relatives were her best friends while growing up, And that changed everything for the best) but we grew apart when I started to work long hours in manufacturing and was absolutely busy to the point I had no time to visit her and our friendship simply ceased to exist (We didnt hate each other, We just never saw each other because of the paths that life took us on)

I always looked back foundly on the good times we had so I decided "WTH...I will contact her". I had a fear she wouldnt want to talk to me or I wouldnt be able to reach her, But damn I was so wrong to worry. Now, I have contact with one of the few people that I ever did trust in my life & I feel great for doing so because I have that true friend back in my life.

Like I said, Has anyone else decided to do what I have just done and were you successful in doing so?

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 05-18-2004, 06:19 AM
Senior Ledgie

That's a wonderful story!! I"m thrilled that things worked out for you and your friend...I'm always reminded of the movie "Stand By Me", where Gordie's character has grown up and writes a book about that summer the four friends shared (granted they were hunting for a dead body,but still)...and he typed something to the effect of how we never have friends like we had when we were younger...friends that you talk to and see EVERY day and never tire of them When we get older...they seem to fall by the wayside. Sometimes it just can't be help but I'm glad the two of you reconnected.

I personally don't really have anyone from my past that I'd like to reconnect with...but I would like to 'check up' on an old boyfriend...my time with him was the most intense and happiest time of my life...but he was fighting many demons from his past and in his present...and every once in a while he creeps back into my memory and I miss that wild, crazy, passionate time in my youth (where you had no cares or no responsibilties and it was all about living for the moment)...Anyway, I often wonder if he's alright now. If he's found happiness and peace of mind...or if things got worse and he's still wandering around "like a lost soul in a fishbowl" (to quote out of context there).

Oh, and maybe my mother in law....but that's another story for another day
Old 05-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This is coincidental.

I've just done the same a few days ago. Sent an email off and haven't heard back. It was an awkard email anyway so I don't expect to. But it was an awkward situation anyway, and a long boring story. But basically a close childhood friend.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's a great story, Brian.

When I was younger, I had a friend named Jamie that I met under some bad circumstances and we went through a lot together. Unfortunately, I lost touch with her for about a year until she started attending my school. We became best friends all over again, talke don the phone for hours every day about nothing; it was great. After a couple of years, though, we just grew apart and stopped talking. We spoke before I started college, but it was only brief and nothing came of it. It's kind of sad, but I'm sure we'll meet again.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I haven't actually done that but here's my story lol..one of them...

In seventh grade I had this "boyfriend" lol..all we ever did was hold hands and pass notes...anway...we became best friends, and then in eighth grade he moved 45 minutes away to El Paso, Tx...not a big deal...except I was in 8th grade and had no car...

Well, in 11th grade I got back in touch with him and me and my other best friend would go down to El Paso all the time just to hang out...and I loved those days...Julian (my ex-bf) had come out of the closet and his father kicked him out of his house (they have always had an incredibly rocky relationship). Well, when I entered college Julian and I drifted...and I sort of took for granted that he'd always just be in El Paso..

Well, I tried to call once, nothing...the number had been disconnected...well I thought I'd call his father...his father said, "Julian? No, you have the wrong number." And I said, "Well you are his dad right? Can you tell me where to find him?" And his dad said, "No, I'm a different Wayne Watson, I don't know any Julian, goodbye." SO I guess their ties are finally severed completely...try as I might I can't seem to find my friend Julian, but I hope that one day I will see him again...
Old 05-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's weird that this topic came up. My 15 year HS reunion is next month. My best friend from High School has been on my mind. Sherri & I were as close as two friends could be . I loved her so much. We did everything together. I lived with her and her parents after my parents divorce and her parents would introduce me as their adopted daughter. But Sherri didn't like my fiancée and when I married him we lost touch. I am now divorced and I want to talk to her but I am gun-shy. Our other friend from HS has been in a coma for the last two months. She is better but I want to call Sherri and tell her everything that's happened. But the last time I tried which was like in 95' she had changed. She was bitter and not happy. She said that I am always happy and that everyone liked me. It was a weird conversation to say the least. But that's almost been 10 years and I heard she is now married and has a baby. I think I am going to call her. I almost did on the 14th cause it was her birthday. Maybe I can muster some nerve and call this weekend.

"Everyone born in the month of February thinks they are right!" Quote from a lady at the table next to us at Don Pablo's!!

http://www.myspace.com/catherinetuliano
Old 05-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Things change when you get older

Well, my stories are not so succesful.
I mean, I get contact again with friends I lost for several years. Specially a female friend that I hurted, not intentionally, but hurted her anyway. Wounds were healed so she was very glad to see me again, after 13 years.

And I also found few other friends. But when you are older than 30, and still single, things change. My married friends has (naturally) a very different life, and those encounters were kind of. "yeah, cool to see you, happy you are ok" and that's it

And the "R U still single???" typical question, like if you were a martian.

Well, I'm single because I chose to be like that. No regrets. But people don't understand sometimes. Peruvian society is a bit square in some aspects.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

About 1-1/2 years ago I got back in contact with my very best friend from a few years back. She now lives in NY and I had broken things off between us in a fairly harsh way because I was going through a lot in my life at the time. So I had a litle bit of worry that she would not want to see me. Turns out she had tried to get in touch with me on several occasions and was unable to. It's been great being "back together". If any of you, in your heart, ever want to get back in touch with someone, take the risk of looking afool. It's worth it, even if that ends up being the case. It beats the "what if's".