Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Disney Forbidding Distribution of Film That Criticizes Bush

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/05/na...rint&position=

By JIM RUTENBERG

ASHINGTON, May 4 — The Walt Disney Company is blocking its Miramax division from distributing a new documentary by Michael Moore that harshly criticizes President Bush, executives at both Disney and Miramax said Tuesday.

The film, "Fahrenheit 911," links Mr. Bush and prominent Saudis — including the family of Osama bin Laden — and criticizes Mr. Bush's actions before and after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Disney, which bought Miramax more than a decade ago, has a contractual agreement with the Miramax principals, Bob and Harvey Weinstein, allowing it to prevent the company from distributing films under certain circumstances, like an excessive budget or an NC-17 rating.

Executives at Miramax, who became principal investors in Mr. Moore's project last spring, do not believe that this is one of those cases, people involved in the production of the film said. If a compromise is not reached, these people said, the matter could go to mediation, though neither side is said to want to travel that route.

In a statement, Matthew Hiltzik, a spokesman for Miramax, said: "We're discussing the issue with Disney. We're looking at all of our options and look forward to resolving this amicably."

But Disney executives indicated that they would not budge from their position forbidding Miramax to be the distributor of the film in North America. Overseas rights have been sold to a number of companies.

"We advised both the agent and Miramax in May of 2003 that the film would not be distributed by Miramax," said Zenia Mucha, a company spokeswoman, referring to Mr. Moore's agent. "That decision stands."

Disney came under heavy criticism from conservatives last May after the disclosure that Miramax had agreed to finance the film when Icon Productions, Mel Gibson's studio, backed out.

Mr. Moore's agent, Ari Emanuel, said that Michael D. Eisner, Disney's chief executive, asked him last spring to pull out of the deal with Miramax. Mr. Emanuel said Mr. Eisner expressed concern that it would endanger tax breaks Disney receives for its theme park, hotels and other ventures in Florida, where Mr. Bush's brother, Jeb, is governor.

"Michael Eisner asked me not to sell this movie to Harvey Weinstein; that doesn't mean I listened to him," Mr. Emanuel said. "He definitely indicated there were tax incentives he was getting for the Disney corporation and that's why he didn't want me to sell it to Miramax. He didn't want a Disney company involved."

Disney executives deny that accusation, though they said their displeasure over the deal was made clear to Miramax and Mr. Emanuel.

A senior Disney executive elaborated that the company has the right to quash Miramax's distribution of films if it deems their distribution to be against the interests of the company. Mr. Moore's film, the executive said, is deemed to be against Disney's interests not because of the company's business dealings with the government but because Disney caters to families of all political stripes and believes Mr. Moore's film could alienate many.

"It's not in the interest of any major corporation to be dragged into a highly charged partisan political battle," this executive said.

Miramax is free to seek another distributor in North America, although such a deal would force it to share profits and be a blow to Harvey Weinstein, a big donor to Democrats.

Mr. Moore, who will present the film at the Cannes film festival this month, criticized Disney's decision in an interview on Tuesday, saying, "At some point the question has to be asked, `Should this be happening in a free and open society where the monied interests essentially call the shots regarding the information that the public is allowed to see?' "

Mr. Moore's films, like "Roger and Me" and "Bowling for Columbine," are often a political lightning rod, as he sets out to skewer what he says are the misguided priorities of conservatives and big business. They have also often performed well at the box office. His most recent movie, "Bowling for Columbine," took in about $22 million in North America for United Artists. His books, like "Stupid White Men," a jeremiad against the Bush administration that has sold more than a million copies, have also been lucrative.

Mr. Moore does not disagree that "Fahrenheit 911" is highly charged, but he took issue with the description of it as partisan. "If this is partisan in any way it is partisan on the side of the poor and working people in this country who provide fodder for this war machine," he said.

Mr. Moore said the film describes financial connections between the Bush family and its associates and prominent Saudi Arabian families that go back three decades. He said it closely explores the government's decision to help members of the bin Laden family leave the United States immediately after the 2001 attacks. The film includes comments from American soldiers on the ground in Iraq expressing disillusionment with the war, he said.

Mr. Moore initially planned on producing the film with Mr. Gibson's company, but last May it pulled out.

"The project wasn't right for Icon," said Alan Nierob, a spokesman for Icon, adding that the decision had nothing to do with politics.

Miramax stepped in immediately. The company had previously produced one of Mr. Moore's films, 1997's "The Big One." In return for providing most of the new film's $6 million budget, Miramax was positioned to distribute the film.

While Disney's objections were made clear early on, one executive who spoke on condition of anonymity said the Miramax leadership hoped it would be able to prevail upon Disney to sign off on distribution -— which would ideally hoping happen this summer, before the election and when political interest is high.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Well...

that's surprising, considering Diss-Knee's only goal is in making money while receiving large tax breaks/shelter (ala Wal-fart & Suck ass Ni-Ke)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 05-05-2004 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Because Ni-Ke really does suck ass...
Old 05-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am not a huge fan of M. Moore. But this is silly and stupid on Disney's part. I mean if Moore can prove the stuff is true, I say release it.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They're really nipping this in the bud, considering that the film is still be edited and won't be finished until late-July. It's only being done because Moore has a lot of clout at the box-office with his docs.

The censorship is getting out of hand, first Sinclair and now Disney. What a crock of ****. Lemme get a list of email addys and phone numbers ready like I did for Sinclair.

I'm sure it'll be released somehow, probably through Lions Gate. I was REALLY looking forward to it.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so mad I can't see straight. Hmm. . . Moore is working on a film that links the Bush family to the Bin Laden family and to the Saudi Arabians and a major US corporation won't release it because they're going to lose the fat tax cuts they get in a state governed by. . .the brother of the POTUS. The same state, I'd like to remind everyone, that was responsible for ensuring that Bush was elect. . I mean appointed to the office of President to begin with. Nope. No conspiracy here--please--how stupid can Disney be? I refuse to watch another Disney-owned channel or buy another Disney product until they reverse their decision. This is censorship at its worse. Do we really want to see how far they'll go if they're given another four years in office? Read my quote at the bottom of the post--if that doesn't send shivers down your spine, then you've already been brain-washed by the Repugs!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGeMe
Read my quote at the bottom of the post--if that doesn't send shivers down your spine, then you've already been brain-washed by the Repugs!

And we should change it from Repugs to Rethugs. That's what they are, you know, thugs. They've replaced the mafia.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No kidding. Last night I was watching Countdown with Keith Olbermann on MSNBC and he was interviewing Joe Wilson. It would seem that Keith & his producers got three different e-mails from the White House with suggested "talking points" for Wilson after they promo'ed the fact that Wilson would be their guest last night on the show! Unbelievable. One actually asked them to please call the White House--I guess for "instructions". Olbermann, God bless him, wouldn't bite and had the balls to show the e-mails on the air and read from them. I guess he'll be hunting for a new job soon. I guess this explains why the reporters and anchors tow the Rethug party line-they're afraid not too. Wilson said in his interview that it didn't surprise him--that he'd been told by countless reporters that they're afraid to go against the White House because they're then denied access--no access-no job. And God knows, as lousy as this economy is, they'd never find another one!
Old 05-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You can watch a couple of scenes from the movie at Moore's official site. He also posted a new letter about the censorship of his film.

http://www.michaelmoore.com

You can email him and ask a question about what's going on, I've emailed him numerous times and gotten some fantastic and constructive responses.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I e-mailed him earlier today and asked him to post some contact numbers so that his fans could protest this censorship by Disney. Haven't gotten a reply yet but I'll keep checking his website to see if he's posted an update or contact info there for us.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

You know Michael Moore isn't going to back down on this. Hopefully the film will come out on time in July. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
You know Michael Moore isn't going to back down on this. Hopefully the film will come out on time in July. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Interestingly, I think both sides had a secret meeting and are milking this publicity machine for all its worth

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Interestingly, I think both sides had a secret meeting and are milking this publicity machine for all its worth
Why not? The goal of Miramax is to make money off of their films. That is their business. However, I do think Disney is bowing to pressure from a certain Florida politician as well. Someone needs to take a giant can of Raid and spray it all over that state.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course. However, they all try to censor all of his projects. They tried to do it with his two previous books and then had the gall to say that they wouldn't be published if he didn't excise certain parts. And remember the vitrol over Bowling For Columbine? It's sickening. We no longer have freedom of speech or press in this country.

Having said that, there is no doubt in my mind that the movie will be released this summer. There's going to be a bidding war for it from rival studios because all of this controversy makes it a guaranteed moneymaker.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I kinda get that impression too. And all I can say is that it's high time a liberal figured out how to manipulate the public as much as the conservative thugs have!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From the IMDB.com:

Uproar Over 'Fahrenheit 9/11' Heats Up

Controversy is again swirling around provocative documentary filmmaker Michael Moore (Roger and Me, Bowling for Columbine) following Miramax's announcement on Wednesday that it will not be distributing Moore's latest film, Fahrenheit 9/11. Earlier, the Walt Disney Co. said that it would prevent Miramax, which it owns, from releasing it, even though Miramax had financed it. Zenia Mucha, a spokeswoman for the company (herself a former adviser to New York Republican politicos George Pataki and Alfonse D'Amato), said that "it was not appropriate for Disney ... to be the distributor of a politically charged movie in an election year." Critics immediately pointed out that some of Disney's ABC radio stations present a daily barrage of politically charged programming, generally reflecting conservative opinion. "All I can say is, thank God for [Miramax Co-chairman] Harvey Weinstein, who stood by me during the entire production of this movie," Moore said in a statement posted on his website on Wednesday. The film is due to compete at the Cannes Film Festival next week for the festival's Palme d'Or award. Michael Barker, co-president of Sony Pictures Classics, which released the controversial Oscar-winning The Fog of War, told today's (Thursday) San Francisco Chronicle that he expects to see Moore's picture at Cannes and that he might be interested in distributing it "if Miramax pitches it to us and it's anything like The Fog of War." Likewise a Lions Gate spokesman told the Toronto Star that his company would also consider releasing the film, adding: "We tend not to be frightened off the controversial projects." Ironically, the title of Moore's film derives from the 1953 Ray Bradbury sci-fi novel Fahrenheit 451 about a society that burns controversial books, forcing a group of dissidents to memorize the classics in order to preserve them. The ads for Fahrenheit 9/11 bear the tagline: "The Temperature Where Freedom Burns."

And from Moore's page:

Wednesday, May 5th, 2004
Disney Has Blocked the Distribution of My New Film

Friends,

I would have hoped by now that I would be able to put my work out to the public without having to experience the profound censorship obstacles I often seem to encounter.

Yesterday I was told that Disney, the studio that owns Miramax, has officially decided to prohibit our producer, Miramax, from distributing my new film, "Fahrenheit 9/11." The reason? According to today's (May 5) New York Times, it might "endanger" millions of dollars of tax breaks Disney receives from the state of Florida because the film will "anger" the Governor of Florida, Jeb Bush. The story is on page one of the Times and you can read it here (Disney Forbidding Distribution of Film That Criticizes Bush).

The whole story behind this (and other attempts) to kill our movie will be told in more detail as the days and weeks go on. For nearly a year, this struggle has been a lesson in just how difficult it is in this country to create a piece of art that might upset those in charge (well, OK, sorry -- it WILL upset them...big time. Did I mention it's a comedy?). All I can say is, thank God for Harvey Weinstein and Miramax who have stood by me during the entire production of this movie.

There is much more to tell, but right now I am in the lab working on the print to take to the Cannes Film Festival next week (we have been chosen as one of the 18 films in competition). I will tell you this: Some people may be afraid of this movie because of what it will show. But there's nothing they can do about it now because it's done, it's awesome, and if I have anything to say about it, you'll see it this summer -- because, after all, it is a free country.

Yours,

Michael Moore
mmflint@aol.com
www.michaelmoore.com

Thursday, May 6th, 2004
Today's NY Times Editorial: "Disney's Craven Behavior"

Friends,

Below you will find today's New York Times Editorial. Please pass it around.

Thanks for all of your letters of support. No news to report today, hopefully tomorrow.

Yours,

Michael Moore

May 6, 2004 – Editorial, New York Times
Disney's Craven Behavior

Give the Walt Disney Company a gold medal for cowardice for blocking its Miramax division from distributing a film that criticizes President Bush and his family. A company that ought to be championing free expression has instead chosen to censor a documentary that clearly falls within the bounds of acceptable political commentary.

The documentary was prepared by Michael Moore, a controversial filmmaker who likes to skewer the rich and powerful. As described by Jim Rutenberg yesterday in The Times, the film, "Fahrenheit 9/11," links the Bush family with prominent Saudis, including the family of Osama bin Laden. It describes financial ties that go back three decades and explores the role of the government in evacuating relatives of Mr. bin Laden from the United States shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The film was financed by Miramax and was expected to be released this summer.

Mr. Moore's agent said that Michael Eisner, Disney's chief executive, had expressed concern that the film might jeopardize tax breaks granted to Disney for its theme park, hotels and other ventures in Florida, where Jeb Bush is governor. If that is the reason for Disney's move, it would underscore the dangers of allowing huge conglomerates to gobble up diverse media companies.

On the other hand, a senior Disney executive says the real reason is that Disney caters to families of all political stripes and that many of them might be alienated by the film. Those families, of course, would not have to watch the documentary.

It is hard to say which rationale for blocking distribution is more depressing. But it is clear that Disney loves its bottom line more than the freedom of political discourse.