Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking "Give me one more chance ... chance ... chance ... chance..."

I was in the checkout line at the grocery store this evening, starting to become VERY annoyed as the lady in front of me asked for a price check because she was being charged about 2-cents more for something. The lady behind me sighs very loudly, and I smile over my shoulder at her, although I'm still pretty ticked.

As usually happens to cheer me up in a bad mood, the spirit of Stevie intervenes, and the single version of "Say You Will" starts playing over the intercom. I immediately start to perk up -- and, I'll admit it, dance a little in the checkout line. I've heard the song in the store once or twice before (incidentally, the ONLY place I've ever heard it -- if it's not Matchbox 20, they don't play it on the "adult hits" radio station down here...)

So, the lady behind me sees me having such an obvious good time and taps me on the shoulder to say what a nice song it is, and ask me who sings it. I practically scream, "Fleetwood Mac!!!", as I notice that the intercom is a little louder in volume than normal. Of course, if I had control over the volume, I would've turned it all the way up when the song came on.

The next minute or so is the whole "Oh really? Fleetwood Mac? I didn't know they had a new album out..." conversation that I've had SO many times, and then the guitar solo finishes and the chorus come back in:

"Say you will, say you will, give me one more chance...
chance...
chance...
chance...
chance..."

I burst out laughing. Didn't they invent CD's in part to do away with the whole needle-stuck-in-the-scratch aspect of LPs?

Anyway -- the skip contines for another 15 seconds or so: "chance ... chance ... chance ..." The checker picks up her phone to call the office (I guess, or whoever has control over the in-store music), but apparently no one answers.

"chance ... chance ... chance ... chance..."

People in the checkout area have stopped what they are doing, and are collectively staring at the ceiling speakers, and muttering to themselves and each other. And by this time, I'm practically in hysterics, I'm laughing so hard. The lady behind me is laughing too, and we seem to have forgotten about the annoying price check situation.

"chance ... chance ... chance ... chance ... BEEEEEP ... Michael, please come to the office! Michael, please come to the office! CLICK ... chance ... chance ... chance ... chance ... chance..."

This goes on for another 30 seconds or so, and by this point all movement, activity, everything has stopped at the checkout area. And everyone is looking at the ceiling, looking at each other, laughing, and looking back at the ceiling. Finally, the music stops, and several people start to clap and yell and woo-hoo.

The lady behind me says something to the effect of "Well, it was still a nice song." So, I told her the whole album was good and that that was the title song, "Say You Will." I also told her the Mac would be in Houston in June and that I hoped to see her there.

Needless to say, I'm still laughing.

(Sorry the story was so long
long
long
long
long)
Old 03-02-2004, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

That's hilarious! Thanks for posting.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's awesome. I had a similar experience once...unfortunately it wasn't with a FM song. I was in an Eatons (a Canadian department store that doesn't exist anymore for those of you that don't know) trying on clothes when Paradise City by Guns N' Roses came on. It kept repeating! It was driving me nuts. I still can't stand to listen to that song.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That is a funny Mac story you will remember forever!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 03-04-2004, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's really great when those type of Fleetwood Mac moments occur. Sadly enough, the only ones I experience is with teachers and the people running the lunch line when they see my Say You Will tour shirt. I guess it isn't that bad -- I do get an extra dessert for it, and my grades have significantly improved this year.