User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Like all it does is repeat "Go Your Own Way" 3 times. The first two times it sounds like women/woman singing. The third time sounds like Lindsey. It's so bizarre I think Lindsey might even be behind it.
hmmm it sounded like the same chick all the way through to me....
Old 07-14-2017, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
So then the question is, how could Stevie allow Landslide to be played in a beer commercial without Mick's permission, but not be allowed to put SS on her album?

It's so confusing.
She wrote Landslide, and owns the publishing rights to it. Mick has no say on how it's licensed -- he would only be able to do that for songs that he wrote.

The Silver Springs issue is different - not a licensing issue but a band/business issue.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Guess I'm being dense, but I still don't get it. Stevie wrote Silver Springs, just like she did Landslide, so what's the difference? And how could Mick be the one to say Stevie couldn't put SS on her album? I mean, could John have the power to keep Stevie from using SS? Or was it just Mick, and if so, how?
Old 07-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Guess I'm being dense, but I still don't get it. Stevie wrote Silver Springs, just like she did Landslide, so what's the difference? And how could Mick be the one to say Stevie couldn't put SS on her album? I mean, could John have the power to keep Stevie from using SS? Or was it just Mick, and if so, how?
My understanding- she was free to RErecord SS, just not use the FM recording, because Dick wanted it for the boxed set (that sold 50 copies).
Old 07-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
My understanding- she was free to RErecord SS, just not use the FM recording, because Dick wanted it for the boxed set (that sold 50 copies).
I think the other poster's question is, both Landslide and Silver Springs were Stevie-written, band-recorded, and one she used in a commercial and one she couldn't even put on her own solo album.

It seems the crux of the issue in both cases is/was money. Silver Springs would have been a new song to most people and therefore could generate income for the band-- having it on a band compilation album would give that album a new song most people didn't have and a new song to be released to radio all of which would generate band revenue. If she put it on her solo album all that interest and income would go elsewhere. Now, the question of HOW Mick had the authority to tell her no is another still murky question. He wasn't the manager of FM at the time she was doing her solo compilation.... so otherwise there must be some sort of contract/agreement signed by the band about needing agreement from everyone in the band to use a band recording? Or does Warner's get a say since they own the masters??

With Landslide, if there is such an agreement/contract, the fact she was able to use the song would seem to indicate she was able to get everyone to agree to let her use it. Landslide has been around so long it's not really going to generate new sales for the band so no risk of sabotaging the sales of a new FM album (and it might even help sell some of their back catalogue). Maybe she had to share some portion of the money with the band to use the actual band recording??

We need a music industry legal person to weigh in.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 07-14-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Old 07-14-2017, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What you said. I'm having a "phone only"(no computer) week, and I HATE trying to type out long responses on it.

But yeah, they probably all have to sign off on it?, and bankrupt Mick will always put what's best for his wallet, first.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Has anyone seen it? How could they have sold their song to a commercial for COPD medication? SO BAD.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wqcE/anoro-i-have-copd

I hardly even recognized it as the song, the snippets were so small. And if Lindsey made some money off of it, good for him!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I think the other poster's question is, both Landslide and Silver Springs were Stevie-written, band-recorded, and one she used in a commercial and one she couldn't even put on her own solo album.

It seems the crux of the issue in both cases is/was money. Silver Springs would have been a new song to most people and therefore could generate income for the band-- having it on a band compilation album would give that album a new song most people didn't have and a new song to be released to radio all of which would generate band revenue. If she put it on her solo album all that interest and income would go elsewhere. Now, the question of HOW Mick had the authority to tell her no is another still murky question. He wasn't the manager of FM at the time she was doing her solo compilation.... so otherwise there must be some sort of contract/agreement signed by the band about needing agreement from everyone in the band to use a band recording? Or does Warner's get a say since they own the masters??

With Landslide, if there is such an agreement/contract, the fact she was able to use the song would seem to indicate she was able to get everyone to agree to let her use it. Landslide has been around so long it's not really going to generate new sales for the band so no risk of sabotaging the sales of a new FM album (and it might even help sell some of their back catalogue). Maybe she had to share some portion of the money with the band to use the actual band recording??

We need a music industry legal person to weigh in.

I can only weigh in about music supervision and licensing.
Fleetwood Mac might have some sort of agreement within the band, where there has to be unanimous votes amongst everyone when it comes to sequencing, songs getting swapped between band and solo efforts, etc. R.E.M. worked that way - they had to have all band members agree on every decision or it got killed.
Who knows, Stevie could have embellished the situation about Silver Springs to make it a more interesting conversation.

But regarding licensing rights - it's a 50/50 split between the writer(s) and publisher(s) always. The deal always has to equal 100% no matter how many writers and publishers own a song. Each side gets 50% of the agreed upon amount. Mick or anyone else in the band aside from Stevie, would have zero legal rights to how Landslide is licensed.
But I'm sure if any of them have reservations about any song's use, they're going to express their concerns. (i.e. "I understand you want your song to be used in that commercial, but I' don't think it's a great idea -- it wouldn't be good for the Fleetwood Mac brand used in that context, etc.")
Old 07-15-2017, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought it was Lindsey singing at the end of this ad. Based on this thread, it sounds like Landslide has been strategically licensed out to make money (Budweiser commercial, One Tree Hill deal... Wasn't it also in a movie trailer for a movie about suffragists last year?), however I think this is a low for GYOW. I can't imagine Lindsey or whoever owns this track is making much money off of this commercial. And it makes the song sound bad!

Dying over the GO Your Own Way comment!