User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
Haven’t seen the documentary for some time, but I think they really do not like each other...
So much so that they are waiting to pounce on any wrong phrase, wrong word wrong action, to somehow score points off one another.
Really sad
I'm certain there have been plenty of times where they deliberately pushed each other's buttons but, having re-watched the clip, in this case he really looks like he's trying to be constructive. Unfortunately, she then gets very defensive and her Bob Dylan remark shows just how inflated her ego is.

I'm sorry, but no matter how much anyone loves Stevie, she is no Bob Dylan.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
She’s barely Bob Welch…

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-23-2018, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
She’s barely Bob Welch…
Quote of the week!!!
Old 05-23-2018, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
I'm certain there have been plenty of times where they deliberately pushed each other's buttons but, having re-watched the clip, in this case he really looks like he's trying to be constructive. Unfortunately, she then gets very defensive and her Bob Dylan remark shows just how inflated her ego is.

To me, Stevie is good with melody and lyrical phrasing but needs someone to help construct and arrange her songs. Without that help, her songs become overly repetitive and superficial.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
She’s barely Bob Welch…
Omg :
Old 05-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
This part always frustrates me as well; he is obviously trying SO HARD not to offend her, yet she acts like he's being absolutely AWFUL to her! As if he's insulting her SO BADLY! And she obviously truly believes he was being horrific to her, because she plays this clip again and again as evidence of how difficult he was to work with (especially highlighting it in the In Your Dreams documentary). She fully expects viewers to be shocked and appalled by his treatment of her. She has no idea how ridiculous it makes her look that this is her example of what a monster Lindsey is in the studio.

Sometimes you need to be upset if you want to face your imperfections and improve yourself. I think she's removed herself from reality, to her own detriment. I hope somebody can help her see this before it's too late.
I saw Destiny Rules when it was first released, but I don't remember a lot of it. But I vaguely remember that scene and thinking Stevie was overreacting to his feedback. I agree, Lindsey was being totally appropriate, and she seemed to take it personally, like she thought he was being patronizing. Maybe his opinion really does matter to her, so she was disappointed when he found a 'flaw' with it. And since it's obvious to me Thrown Down was written about their relationship immediately after the Dance tour, maybe Stevie was hypersensitive because of that.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
To me, Stevie is good with melody and lyrical phrasing but needs someone to help construct and arrange her songs. Without that help, her songs become overly repetitive and superficial.
Lindsey said she has a great sense of rhythm (phrasing?).

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I saw Destiny Rules when it was first released, but I don't remember a lot of it. But I vaguely remember that scene and thinking Stevie was overreacting to his feedback. I agree, Lindsey was being totally appropriate, and she seemed to take it personally, like she thought he was being patronizing. Maybe his opinion really does matter to her, so she was disappointed when he found a 'flaw' with it. And since it's obvious to me Thrown Down was written about their relationship immediately after the Dance tour, maybe Stevie was hypersensitive because of that.
I agree with all of this but I think something worth adding is that back in the day, he would probably nitpick her songs much more and likely in a not so diplomatic manner lol so she probably developed a sensitivity about that which made her overreact. And Stevie dwells in the past a lot and is dramatic just in general so I think that also influenced her grudge over that whole thing.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Lindsey said she has a great sense of rhythm (phrasing?).
I heard him say that too. And it's true, she does. I once listened to a lot of her old demos that are on YouTube and while they are veerrrryy bare boned, it's pretty impressive how she can develop that essential rhythm for her lyrics just from her voice and the plink-plink-plink piano.
But a downside of that is because she writes so many songs I think sometimes that becomes visible in how some of her songs end up sounding so similar. Sable on Blonde versus Dreams is a great example of that. They're practically identical, just with different production. And a lot of other songs too.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I agree with all of this but I think something worth adding is that back in the day, he would probably nitpick her songs much more and likely in a not so diplomatic manner lol so she probably developed a sensitivity about that which made her overreact. And Stevie dwells in the past a lot and is dramatic just in general so I think that also influenced her grudge over that whole thing.
They knew how to push each others buttons back in 1976, and 1981, and 1985, '97, '01, '03,'13 and they are still doing it today. Whether it's critiquing lyrics or making passive aggressive comments about a "beautiful wife and children" Its what they do, dysfunctional as it may seem. If it's true that Stevie's "camp" sent a spy to the Mike Levin event, Lindsey's comments and rebuttal to the Stevie comment would likely tick her off, because he was so dismissive of her. None of us know truly if she was the "driving force" behind him not being in the bad, but she's clearly okay with it. All of these things make up the drama that has followed these 2 for over 40 years. They thrive on it.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
They knew how to push each others buttons back in 1976, and 1981, and 1985, '97, '01, '03,'13 and they are still doing it today. Whether it's critiquing lyrics or making passive aggressive comments about a "beautiful wife and children" Its what they do, dysfunctional as it may seem. If it's true that Stevie's "camp" sent a spy to the Mike Levin event, Lindsey's comments and rebuttal to the Stevie comment would likely tick her off, because he was so dismissive of her. None of us know truly if she was the "driving force" behind him not being in the bad, but she's clearly okay with it. All of these things make up the drama that has followed these 2 for over 40 years. They thrive on it.
ITA. But personally I never thought this would happen and I doubt he did either. If she was the main force behind it then I would've thought that to be beneath her and if she wasn't but she let it happen, even that is shocking. She went ballistic when he jumped ship in the 80s and that was much closer to the worst days of their history.
Which is why I fully believe that she hasn't been in a normal headspace since Tom's passing and that really affected a lot of this.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That sounds like a very real possibility
Old 05-23-2018, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ITA. But personally I never thought this would happen and I doubt he did either. If she was the main force behind it then I would've thought that to be beneath her and if she wasn't but she let it happen, even that is shocking. She went ballistic when he jumped ship in the 80s and that was much closer to the worst days of their history.
Which is why I fully believe that she hasn't been in a normal headspace since Tom's passing and that really affected a lot of this.

I agree with you---and I really hope, not to be morbid--nothing happens to either one of them before they can resolve this.. And as a human being--I hope they do, Forget the weird comments about when they are 80.......whatever she said, their professional success are so intertwined, their catalogue of music has each others finger prints all over it... it would be sad to have it all end on this note.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I think the reason she overreacted was because she was told this by Lindsey over the years. In her opinion she feels Lindsey is being overly critical of her words which she thinks is only directed at her. She may have a point. Did Lindsey correct Christine's grammar or verb tense in songs? Maybe he did. Who knows. But its little things like this that this former couple quibble about constantly
Old 05-24-2018, 04:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The first sign of immaturity is becoming defensive when criticized.