User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
Yes, it does cost more. The free range organic eggs I buy are 3x the cost of regular eggs, maybe more. But I won't eat the regular ones anymore. I try to buy as much organic stuff as possible. Deanna, I also love the mushy raisin bran! Isn't that weird?

Lux, you're right about how gross food is here. I don't understand why people buy all that crap. Real food tastes better. I guess the advertising brainwashes people into thinking things are "good". I dunno.

What are the food like in supermarkets down under?

and the bad food is horribly addicting...luckily after I stop eating it I don't crave it anymore...but it's like crack the bad food

I have wanted to try free range eggs - my ex-bf swore by them and I've still never tried them...

I would also like to start buying non-hormonally injected chicken and beef -but it's SO expensive...even now if I do buy beef (the leanest kind) it's at least twice the price as the nasty fully-fat meat... Stupid food industry in this country...
Old 01-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
and the bad food is horribly addicting...luckily after I stop eating it I don't crave it anymore...but it's like crack the bad food

I have wanted to try free range eggs - my ex-bf swore by them and I've still never tried them...

I would also like to start buying non-hormonally injected chicken and beef -but it's SO expensive...even now if I do buy beef (the leanest kind) it's at least twice the price as the nasty fully-fat meat... Stupid food industry in this country...
I know, I buy the "bad" meat too. It will come down as more people buy it. I've heard you can get it online too, I haven't looked into it yet though, I wonder if that would be cheaper.

You're right, the bad food can be like crack. I don't even go down the cookie aisle or the chip aisle. It was hard to get away from but I am glad I did.

I buy the Pete and Gerry's eggs. I'm not sure there's a huge difference in taste, probably since their diet and lifestyle are completely different. I didn't really notice though. There's another kind that is high in omega 3s cuz they feed the chickens flax seeds but they are super expensive, I think the brand is The Country Hen or something like that. Mmmm...food...
Old 01-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
all this talk of cookies may cause the relig-a-tards in the world to claim Sesame Street's "Cookie Monster" is either a pedophile or gay (Last time I look he was made of carpet fabric, Kinda hard to be gay when yer nuthin' but a piece of blue carpet...But I am sure the relig-a-tards will say he is gay since there's a hand up his ass )

Seriously, As long as a child has a safe home environment and is not neglected I have no problem with Gay/Lesbian couples raising the child...Children want love, Plain and simple as that!
Old 01-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas
Yeah, the article is unscientific, filled with falsehoods, and slanders every gay and lesbian on the planet. I'd love to see this thread removed.
Now now now, there are lots of threads that others on this board would like to see removed too that we feel are full of lies and offensive. But obviously the liberals around here carry more weight than the conservatives do. Bet you wish it was like that in the real world?

Last edited by Brwn_eyes0511; 01-21-2005 at 07:18 PM..
Old 01-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
1. Bran is healthy.
2. Bran is good for your system, if you catch my drift.
3. Bran has so much fiber in it that it's like you're eating air, you can eat as much as you want and not gain anything.
4. Bran has all GOOD carbs.

I usually have bran muffins every morning.
But doesn't bran have a lot of carbs, even if they are good? It's very carb dense, is it not?

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
are full of lies and offensive.
List them.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
But doesn't bran have a lot of carbs, even if they are good? It's very carb dense, is it not?
Good carbs are good for you. You shouldn't eliminate carbs from your diet, just as you shouldn't eliminate fat from your diet. You have to eat good carbs and good fat. That's what the South Beach Diet is all about. And the trick when it comes to carbs is that you can subtract the dietary fiber and sugar alcohol from the total carbs. So, say a bran muffin is 15 grams of carbs and it has 8 grams of dietary fiber. You're only eating 7 grams of carbs in the end.

Old 01-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
I know, I buy the "bad" meat too. It will come down as more people buy it. I've heard you can get it online too, I haven't looked into it yet though, I wonder if that would be cheaper.
Last time i bought chicken from whole foods, it was literally only about 40 cents more expensive for the whole breast package...so keep checking...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-21-2005, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Good carbs are good for you. You shouldn't eliminate carbs from your diet, just as you shouldn't eliminate fat from your diet. You have to eat good carbs and good fat. That's what the South Beach Diet is all about. And the trick when it comes to carbs is that you can subtract the dietary fiber and sugar alcohol from the total carbs. So, say a bran muffin is 15 grams of carbs and it has 8 grams of dietary fiber. You're only eating 7 grams of carbs in the end.
mmmkay. I didn't say you should eliminate them, I was questioning the wisdom of eating so many. even if they are "good"
Thanks for the "info" though.
oh, and why can you subtract those things again?

Old 01-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
mmmkay. I didn't say you should eliminate them, I was questioning the wisdom of eating so many. even if they are "good"
Thanks for the "info" though.
Bran muffins don't have that many carbs. It's not as if you're eating a loaf of white bread; you're eating whole grains. And how can eating good carbs in moderation be bad for you?

Quote:
oh, and why can you subtract those things again?
Because you don't digest them.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bran muffins don't have that many carbs. It's not as if you're eating a loaf of white bread; you're eating whole grains. And how can eating good carbs in moderation be bad for you?

Because you don't digest them.
I didn't say eating good carbs in moderation is bad for you. I thought they were very carb dense, that's all I was trying to find out. You say they're not carb dense.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lux, did you go to a movie theater while you were in the states by any chance? Those large drinks are monsters! I have to have a small drink at the movie theater, and even so, something about fountain drinks really bothers me. But, yeah, if you think those McDonald's drinks are big! The movie theaters seem to specialize in whatever is the most unhealthy thing.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
Lux, did you go to a movie theater while you were in the states by any chance? Those large drinks are monsters! I have to have a small drink at the movie theater, and even so, something about fountain drinks really bothers me. But, yeah, if you think those McDonald's drinks are big! The movie theaters seem to specialize in whatever is the most unhealthy thing.
AND charge like three times more for the crap they sell...
Old 01-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
AND charge like three times more for the crap they sell...
Yep, twenty dollars gets you some water soda, some nachos with chips buried in salt and "cheese" dip that doesn't seem to have any cheese, and some horrifying candy that's jumbo size. It's such an event to get one of the "combo" things at the movies. It's like that could be your only meal for the whole day.

Last edited by GateandGarden; 01-21-2005 at 08:43 PM..
Old 01-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
Yep, twenty dollars gets you some water soda, some nachos with chips buried in salt and "cheese" dip that doesn't seem to have any cheese, and some horrifying candy that jumbo size. It's such an event to get one of the "combo" things at the movies. It's like that could be your only meal for the whole day.
You're so right....and the thought of what you just described made my stomach turn...the smell of a movie theater came back to me and blech -I never guy snacks there because of the price mostly -but also because nothing ever appeals to me there....