Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
The only commitment this band has right now is to dodge the backlash they didn't see coming and pocket as much cash as they can possibly get away with using their dodgy as h*ll marketing. Literally hiding behind a cartoon penguin and keeping their mouth shut. Anyone who thinks that WASN'T a deliberate, intentional move - sorry but it absolutely was.
I think they're hoping they can pull off the switch as successfully as the Tango one. After all, Lindsey's departure then was equally as abrupt, yet that tour was quite successful. Unfortunately (for them) it only lasted that one tour, though. Tango almost certainly made more money by itself than the Behind The Mask & Time tours combined. So yeah, I think they can pull off this upcoming tour without getting a whole lot of egg on their faces... but can it be sustained? I have serious doubts.

While I absolutely agree with everything in the above quoted sentiment, it's still some months until the tour starts. Typically TV appearances, magazine interviews, etc don't commence until the tour does. Are they trying to gaslight everyone through their "lay low" and hide behind the penguin mascot strategy in the meantime? Undoubtedly. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this whole thing in the press when the tour approaches. They have plenty of time to craft a winning spin after these initial gaffes... but we'll see how well that'll go over in this age of instant fact checking.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Interesting. I can't imagine how music fans wouldn't know who Neil Finn is especially as "Don't Dream It's Over" has evolved into an anthem of sorts for this current generation. Neil never garnered a ton of name recognition in the states but his bands Crowded House and Split Enz are certainly very well known around the world. Crowded House has sold 10+ million albums and have been inducted into the Australian Music Hall of Fame. They've been named Group of The Year at The Brit Awards and won 11 Aria Awards (26 nominations). His pre-Crowded House band, Split Enz, is considered one of the most influential bands of the late 70's and early 80's.
He was a 1 hit wonder 3 decades ago, and Rumours alone sold 4 times as many copies as his combined life's work. It's no mystery why he has no name recognition.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
That's kinda sad to hear. As a music fanatic growing up in the 70s/80s, I got to know a ton of music from the 50s/60s. It's weird to me that a fan of FM - whose last great album ("Tango in the Night," IMO) hit the same year as Crowded House's monster debut LP hit America - doesn't know who Finn is. I'd bet that anyone who is unaware of Finn's work is no doubt missing out on a boatload of other great musicians' work from that era and earlier.

It's one thing to not care for Finn's music, but not even knowing who he is...? Ah, well, it's the world we live in, I guess. My teen-aged son is looking forward to the ELO show next weekend that we'll be attending together, but I'm sure many of his peers have no idea who Jeff Lynne is! These clueless young 'uns really need to GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

That's one potential positive of all this FM nonsense. By the end of this tour, Finn's work will have gotten a lot of new (and well-deserved) exposure here in the States. Being a huge fan of both Finn and LB, I'm really torn about these FM developments!
You sound like you're raising a fine young man. There's nothing better than "The College of Rock and Roll Knowledge."
Old 08-13-2018, 03:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
He was a 1 hit wonder 3 decades ago, and Rumours alone sold 4 times as many copies as his combined life's work. It's no mystery why he has no name recognition.
At worst, Finn is a 2.5-hit wonder, as "Something So Strong" also hit the Top Ten in the US, while CH's "Better Be Home Soon" cracked the Top 50. And then there's the Split Enz classic, "I Got You" (which Finn wrote and sings lead), which also hit #50 and is still in regular rotation on classic alternative radio. A minor distinction, but to me there's a big difference between Neil Finn and true one-hit-wonders like Tommy friggin' Tutone!
Old 08-13-2018, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you!
Old 08-13-2018, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Interesting. I can't imagine how music fans wouldn't know who Neil Finn is especially as "Don't Dream It's Over" has evolved into an anthem of sorts for this current generation.
Anthem? How? This sappy little thing is no anthem at all. I did not even remember that I knew it until I checked it out lately. And while I was pretty much alive during the 70s/80s/90s and listened to tons of music, I forgot far superior songs.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Since you brought it up, Lindsey only was a 1 hit wonder as a solo artist, too. And Rumours alone probably sold 4 times as many copies as his combined life's solo work, too.

So why bring that up?
Old 08-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Since you brought it up, Lindsey only was a 1 hit wonder as a solo artist, too. And Rumours alone probably sold 4 times as many copies as his combined life's solo work, too.

So why bring that up?
But Lindsey IS a successful artist, very much so. What is YOUR point here?
Old 08-13-2018, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
But Lindsey IS a successful artist, very much so. What is YOUR point here?
According to Wikipedia, Law and Order went to #32, Go Insane to #45, Out of the Cradle to #128, Under the Skin to #80, Gift of Screws to #48, and Seeds We Sow to #45.

The poster I responded to was making the point that Lindsey as a solo artist was much more successful than Neil Finn. My point was why bother to compare the two? But if people want to compare the numbers, Lindsey as a solo artist is not that well known. More than Neil Finn? Maybe, but it's like comparing Michelle Shocked to Aimee Mann- neither one of them are that famous, so what's the point in comparing their sales?

I would guarantee you more people know Don't Dream It's Over than Trouble. Guarantee it. Does that matter? Not to me. But everything that poster made a point to say about Neil Finn applied to Lindsey, too.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think The Ledge needs a section here that's dedicated to $tevie fans only. Wouldn't that be nice?

Oh wait....
Old 08-13-2018, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
The only commitment this band has right now is to dodge the backlash they didn't see coming and pocket as much cash as they can possibly get away with using their dodgy as h*ll marketing. Literally hiding behind a cartoon penguin and keeping their mouth shut. Anyone who thinks that WASN'T a deliberate, intentional move - sorry but it absolutely was.

100% THIS! Especially the cash pocketing part.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
So why bring that up?
Lindsey has been associated with Fleetwood Mac for 43 years of its 50 year existence- he is 1/5 of the most famous lineup of this band. Fleetwood Mac songs that had his production, guitar playing, and vocals hit the Top 40 nearly 2 dozen times. Rumors is still one of the top 10 best selling albums of all time- 41 years after its release. During his tenure FM had 7 albums in the top 10- 4 of which were #1. So to suggest that Lindsey doesn’t belong in the band because his side projects flopped is ludicrous.

I was simply responding to Sugar Mouse, who has been trying to sell Finn to us for months as this miraculous living legend. I’m just not buying it. Even if he WAS, I wouldn’t give a damn. I love my Rumours 5. They will ALWAYS be the definitive version of this band to me.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey has been associated with Fleetwood Mac for 43 years of its 50 year existence- he is 1/5 of the most famous lineup of this band. Fleetwood Mac songs that had his production, guitar playing, and vocals hit the Top 40 nearly 2 dozen times. Rumors is still one of the top 10 best selling albums of all time- 41 years after its release. During his tenure FM had 7 albums in the top 10- 4 of which were #1. So to suggest that Lindsey doesn’t belong in the band because his side projects flopped is ludicrous.
Just to be clear, I definitely wasn't suggesting that Lindsey doesn't belong in FM because his side projects flopped, and I don't think anyone else was suggesting that, either. I wasn't even saying his solo works were flops. What I was saying was that there was really no point in comparing his sales with Neil Finn's, because neither one set the sales charts on fire.

I think of all the musicians FM could have hired to replace Lindsey, Neil and Mike were very smart choices. Neil and Mike aren't polarizing like, say, Sheryl Crow or John Mayer, for example. I suppose there's somebody out there who might hate Neil or Mike, but generally they seem to have flown under the radar enough that the mention of their names doesn't provoke a strong negative reaction. They also are different enough from Lindsey that they'll bring something new to the shows, and not just try to imitate Lindsey.

I also think that somewhere down the road, Lindsey will rejoin FM. Crazier things have happened.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 PM
Storms123
This message has been deleted by Storms123.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just to be clear, I definitely wasn't suggesting that Lindsey doesn't belong in FM because his side projects flopped, and I don't think anyone else was suggesting that, either. I wasn't even saying his solo works were flops. What I was saying was that there was really no point in comparing his sales with Neil Finn's, because neither one set the sales charts on fire.

I think of all the musicians FM could have hired to replace Lindsey, Neil and Mike were very smart choices. Neil and Mike aren't polarizing like, say, Sheryl Crow or John Mayer, for example. I suppose there's somebody out there who might hate Neil or Mike, but generally they seem to have flown under the radar enough that the mention of their names doesn't provoke a strong negative reaction. They also are different enough from Lindsey that they'll bring something new to the shows, and not just try to imitate Lindsey.

I also think that somewhere down the road, Lindsey will rejoin FM. Crazier things have happened.

I agree with much of what is said above. Mike very well known and could likely draw out of TPH fans who are missing their band. Personally, I had never heard of Neil Finn before this (Yes I'd heard of Crowded House) so he's definitely flown under the radar for me. I also think in both cases, fans are not directing any blame towards them (and they shouldn't) I think the failure or success will be dependent on the chemistry between Christine, Stevie and Neil. Mike will be as unassuming at John is ( and he will play Landslide very well), but will fans buy into/enjoy Stevie and Neil singing "Silver Springs" to each other (I have to think this gets pulled, but you never know with this crew). Can the 3 of them harmonize together? And will fans buy into Neil singing some of Lindsey's "classics" (GYOW/Tusk) Since this fiasco was unleashed upon us, I have listened to Neil--I just don't "hear" his voice on these songs. My opinion.
I also am not a huge fan of "covers" and while 4/5's of the people who originally recorded these songs will be playing/singing them, the lead vocalist is different--and to my ears, that's a cover. The next few weeks will tell the tale for sure.
I also wouldn't be shocked if he rejoined at some point (assuming all parties are on the right side of the dirt) but I am sure the wounds are still fresh. As a fan of the band, I would love to see the 5 of them together again. Whole situation STILL breaks my heart. I don't think this is how they want the "farewell" tour to go. IMO, they would not be going out on top.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Who?
I don't know him and nobody I know knows him.
Strange, I know him very well and so does everyone I know.
I have seem him live probably more than any other artist I like too

It is ignorant to judge an artists popularity on his chart ratings in the US.....if you look at the countries Finn was successful in they are mostly Commonwealth countries. Chart ratings in the US does not define success.

Last edited by Angel75; 08-13-2018 at 09:13 PM..