Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Registered

Default another celebrity A........

Kevin I'm no rasist sorbo http://mobile.rawstory.com/all/2014-...they-truly-are. And the apology....is worse. a classic example of how we /socity have devolved since the start of the Internet

Last edited by olive; 08-21-2014 at 08:37 PM..
Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
a classic example of how we /socity have devolved since the start of the Internet
I can't say I agree with that summation at all. If you are looking at celebrities of the past with rose colored glasses, that's complete folly. Just look at Henry Ford & Walt Disney's views on Jews. Henry Ford went so far as to create a newspaper for the sake of spewing hate speech against Jews, citing them as the downfall of humanity. John Wayne had shocking things to say about blacks. I could go on... but I truly believe the internet has greatly civilized the world when it comes to ignorant views. Why? Because the internet has meant the democratization of information. No longer do you have to go to libraries, attend universities, or even watch the evening news to seek out knowledge. People are bombarded with information whether they want to be or not. Everyone has instant unlimited access to worldwide knowledge in their very pockets, homes, and workplaces. In turn, this has made people far more accountable for their actions- if someone does something stupid, it's instantly uploaded & bounces around the world in mere seconds. This could be partly why humanity may seem a bit less civilized. Nothing can be contained anymore.

It's my opinion the root cause is the media, though. In this ever busier world with limitless access to instant information, journalists & the paparazzi have to venture into realms which were formerly off limits just to gain attention & relevance. Even members of Fleetwood Mac have mentioned how glad they are that the height of their fame was well before this shift. Amy Winehouse would have comparatively looked like a saint.

Despite what we may see on the internet & on tv, I still hold true to the fact that people these days are more educated & tolerant than ever. Reality shows? Now those are the downfall of civilization.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:39 AM
Registered

i agree with the reality show downfall .. especially with the contestant on Naked Dating suing the show for showing her naked .
Old 08-22-2014, 07:41 AM
Registered

ok first off I am as guilty as anyone but am getting better at texting with out thinking.

as for the past there isn't a lot of first hand proof , letters 8mm film ?with the exception of Nixon just watched HBO documentary, Nixon by Nixon: In His Own Word , incredible .

now we have text , email video instantly put out to the world for ever just hit send !

my husbands family is in the entertainment business and I work occasionally either on camera or off in film ( work i get on my own not by nepotisim )
I an not dazzled by celebrities I keep my distance and seldom go to functions with my husband my thought on a lot of them , How did you manage to get up and dress yourself this morning .... then realize someone helped them and I'll leave it at that .

Yes we are bombarded by info 24/7 we know it before it happens ! and for most it is in the form of 120 characters or less ,or sound bites very few people ( i have too ) Bothered to get the full story .

yes the media manipulates well . and the latest insider buzz word “grandicide,” for the concept of raising up a person, just to tear them down. everyone will and has gone along with it Britney Spears was one of the first, and will not be the last

" that people these days are more educated & tolerant than ever." they are a minority and it's not going to get any better turn on the news humans as a species are screwed most of america get their information from Blogs, talk radio and fox news

blah balh blah end of rant I am tired work on a filmset last night celebutard is the most spot on term ever coined and i secretly get a trill out of pointing out to parents of Kardashian fans that she is famous for a sex tape her mom produced in which she was urinated on

Last edited by olive; 08-22-2014 at 08:05 AM..