User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Talking Christine's list of hits

The definition of a hit for this list is cracking the top 40 on Billboard or top 10 on another chart.

Over my head #20 US Billboard

Say you love me #11 US Billboard

Don't Stop #3 US Billboard

You make loving fun #9 US Billboard

Think about me #20 US Billboard

Hold me #4 US Billboard (for seven weeks....31st biggest hit of 1982)

Love in store #22 US Billboard

Got a hold on me #10 US Billboard #1 Adult contemporary USA

Love will show us how #30 US Billboard

Little Lies #4 US Billboard #1 Adult contemporary USA

Everywhere #14 US Billboard #1 Belgium singles chart #1 Adult Contemporary USA

Save Me #33 US Billboard #7 Canada singles chart

Skies the limit #1 USA Adult contemporary chart

As long as you follow #43 US Billboard #1 Adult contemporary chart

Friend #29 US Adult contemporary chart

I know if I missed anything or something is wrong there will be more than one of you that will correct me
Old 10-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The definition of a hit for this list is cracking the top 40 on Billboard or top 10 on another chart.

Over my head #20 US Billboard

Say you love me #11 US Billboard

Don't Stop #3 US Billboard

You make loving fun #9 US Billboard

Think about me #20 US Billboard

Hold me #4 US Billboard (for seven weeks....31st biggest hit of 1982)

Love in store #22 US Billboard

Got a hold on me #10 US Billboard #1 Adult contemporary USA

Love will show us how #30 US Billboard

Little Lies #4 US Billboard #1 Adult contemporary USA

Everywhere #14 US Billboard #1 Belgium singles chart #1 Adult Contemporary USA

Save Me #33 US Billboard #7 Canada singles chart

Skies the limit #1 USA Adult contemporary chart

As long as you follow #43 US Billboard #1 Adult contemporary chart

Friend #29 US Adult contemporary chart

I know if I missed anything or something is wrong there will be more than one of you that will correct me
Looks right, though using your definition of a 'hit' Friend probably shouldn't really be on your list.
Other than that I guess you could argue a case for I'd Rather Go Blind (even though it was only a cover): Chickenshack UK #14 (though I dont think that version charted in the US).
Old 10-28-2015, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Looks right, though using your definition of a 'hit' Friend probably shouldn't really be on your list.
Other than that I guess you could argue a case for I'd Rather Go Blind (even though it was only a cover): Chickenshack UK #14 (though I dont think that version charted in the US).
You are right. I caught that after I posted the list. I was wondering if anyone would notice
You win!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's quite an impressive list, revealing Christine has been the most consistent hit maker of the group. Even a lower charting song like As Long as You Follow still remains in the public conscious;. a few days ago I heard it playing in the grocery store.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:22 PM

I'd keep Friend. I heard it a lot when it came out.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

I didn't know that Skies the Limit and As Long As You Follow both made it to #1 adult contemporary. Given that success, I'd find it surprising that these songs were never played in concert, even on the 1990 tour, but this is Fleetwood Mac after all.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOfTheDragon View Post
I didn't know that Skies the Limit and As Long As You Follow both made it to #1 adult contemporary. Given that success, I'd find it surprising that these songs were never played in concert, even on the 1990 tour, but this is Fleetwood Mac after all.
As Long As You Follow.... yes
Skies The Limit... I'm not so sure. Was that a typo Macfan4life?

Anyway, even in 1990 it would have been a matter of space. So many great, recognisable Christine songs. They'd have had to have dropped a big Christine hit to put one of those in (they needed BB and RV to show their faces with a couple of songs each and Christine couldnt have had a bigger share than Stevie).
Old 11-08-2015, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Skies the Limit, gross.
Lindsey would of turned that song into something special. It doesn't work. Not produced right. The album was horrible, but Save Me worked.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
As Long As You Follow.... yes
Skies The Limit... I'm not so sure. Was that a typo Macfan4life?

Anyway, even in 1990 it would have been a matter of space. So many great, recognisable Christine songs. They'd have had to have dropped a big Christine hit to put one of those in (they needed BB and RV to show their faces with a couple of songs each and Christine couldnt have had a bigger share than Stevie).
Not a typo at all. While Skies the limit never came remotely close to cracking the top 40 it was definitely on the AC charts. I was in college in 1990 and Dick Clark used to have an AC countdown that was syndicated across the USA on AC stations. I would listen to Skies the Limit climb the charts because Dick Clark would also have interviews with the band. I never heard Skies the Limit on any other radio station except this countdown show. The Skies the Limit video was in regular rotation on VH1 in 1990.

I actually like the song. One thing I learned from listening to Dick Clark's countdown show was how this song was meant to be. Behind the Mask was finished but the album seemed very dark to the band. It had none of the peppy love songs from Chris. Chris wrote this song and it was purposely the first track on the album. It was a last minute addition to the album.

There is a typo though. According to AC Billboard USA it went to #10, not #1. I was not able to edit the original post.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-08-2015 at 08:30 AM..
Old 11-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There is a typo though. According to AC Billboard USA it went to #10, not #1. I was not able to edit the original post.

It's okay a song but I agree it could have been better. Typo- yes, I didnt think it went to either Rock or AC #1

Out of Skies The Limit and As Long As You Follow I think the latter would have been better to play live as it had become a really popular song with those that bought Greatest Hits.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not a typo at all. While Skies the limit never came remotely close to cracking the top 40 it was definitely on the AC charts. I was in college in 1990 and Dick Clark used to have an AC countdown that was syndicated across the USA on AC stations. I would listen to Skies the Limit climb the charts because Dick Clark would also have interviews with the band. I never heard Skies the Limit on any other radio station except this countdown show. The Skies the Limit video was in regular rotation on VH1 in 1990.

I actually like the song. One thing I learned from listening to Dick Clark's countdown show was how this song was meant to be. Behind the Mask was finished but the album seemed very dark to the band. It had none of the peppy love songs from Chris. Chris wrote this song and it was purposely the first track on the album. It was a last minute addition to the album.

The song doesn't work. As long as You Follow works. That album only proved that they needed Lindsey and any success it had was due to Tango in the Night. Save Me was a real single and deserved to chart but it was not a great lead single.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Skies the Limit used to be a straight-up skip for me, but once I got past that awfully pedestrian intro I realised it was actually kinda catchy.

But as for playing it live, I think the unforgivable grammatical error is reason enough for it to never have seen the light of day.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Skies the Limit, gross.
Lindsey would of turned that song into something special. It doesn't work. Not produced right. The album was horrible, but Save Me worked.
Agree! I like the song but the production is really gross. Save Me did save thatalbum, somewhat.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulMiracle View Post
Skies the Limit used to be a straight-up skip for me, but once I got past that awfully pedestrian intro I realized it was actually kinda catchy.

But as for playing it live, I think the unforgivable grammatical error is reason enough for it to never have seen the light of day.
I assume what you think is a grammatical error was actually intentional artistic licence. Numerous songs are littered with them.

I like the album for what it is, but that configuration of Fleetwood Mas was never destined to sustain itself. Rick thrives best on his own. And as much as I respect Billy's talent, his style is very generic, and has no distinguishing characteristic edge.

It's really astounding that Lindsey, Stevie, and Christine all left the band at certain points of time, yet they all are reunited once again.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
It's really astounding that Lindsey, Stevie, and Christine all left the band at certain points of time, yet they all are reunited once again.
That is amazing. Shows how much the chemistry mattered.