User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
And she didn't even "run" it as she was just a receptionist that was training to be a sound engineer.
I think they were referring to her bootleg company that her and her boyfriend had, before she joined the recording studio as a receptionist.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
thanks nicole!

What struck me was her presentation of her career before meeting LB… running a record company? And definitely creating the impression that her company produced all these "albums you've heard of" by these bands. She sold bootlegs of concerts. it's the stuff like that that make you go hmmmm….
Bit unfair- I think this may be down to how the producers of this programme cut her interview.
'I had a record company...
...we sold all over the world.
we did...'

I have the impression she'd said a lot more and probably explained exactly what her business was but it was cut out. May not have been interesting enough for the makers of this programme.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Interesting because I'd have to go back to my hard copy and verify, but I don't think my edition of the book said that anything was recreated from memory. She said she relied on her audio diaries, which she went back and listened to and I remember thinking that she was trying to bestow false credence on her recollections through that assertion.

Michele
I have the Kindle edition, and it's the page before the 'title page', actually. Nothing about audio diaries right there. I just don't understand why it's such a big issue that she needs to claim EVERY WORD is true, and that we can take that to the bank. If she herself can admit some conversations are based on memory then it's not a big stretch to then conclude that some words aren't accurate, seeing as everyone's memory is infallible. That's not even mentioning stories that I think ARE altered for various reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I think for me her behavior after the book has been unusual and maybe, I'd have to think about it more, has by association influenced how I think about the book.

I know when I read it, like so many others, I found the writing left a lot to be desired, but you muddle through it to try and understand the point she wants to make about these people. And that's the thing-- the book is more about all these other people, not about her. She doesn't let the reader "in" to understand her that much. And because she doesn't, you're just left with the picture she chose to paint of herself, which is this impossibly innocent, naive, angelic person to whom all this bad stuff just happened, but who kept going back for more and who, even years later, still rhapsodizes about her abuser. Which is fine if that's what she wants to do; but we're all entitled to have our opinions about what she put out for us to read.

Then after the book came out, to do these things like troll FM fans and readers of the book [and if I were a betting person I'd bet my house she trolls this board], is just weird. I can buy having some curiosity when the book first comes out, and wanting to sort of eavesdrop to hear what the reaction to the book is, but then, you better be prepared for what you hear. It might not be all good. And clearly it hasn't been. So to then, at age--what is she? 50 something at least?? -- to troll around the internet and befriend people and engage with them only to attack them or insult them, that is unhealthy.
I wish posts had a like button because THIS. I've always appreciated the existence of the book and I've read it a couple of times. I'm not even questioning her motives for writing it. My problems with the book and with her and nearly wholly based on how she's acted about it AFTER the fact. Her actively searching out SN/FM/LB fans to FB friend and SN/FM/LB FB groups to join strikes me as odd. Her way of talking to those who disagree with her also strikes me as a touch immature and childish, given her age.

For me, personally, it DID kind of suck having her (and later, one of her staunchest supporters) publicly call me out by name - in a post just dedicated to that - and insulting me, especially as she'd 'liked' what she then denigrated, and the information she'd been given, which caused her to say what she did, wasn't even accurate.

She can claim it's a book for healing and for abuse victims, etc, but it doesn't really read like that. I'm very pleased if it DID help those who suffered abuse but it doesn't mean that every word in the book is magically true and accurate because of that. Someone being there doesn't automatically mean they're right and there IS such a thing as objective truth, contrary to what she and some of her fans seem to think. Changing details of what happened at the AMAs isn't a big deal in and of itself, and certainly it's not slanderous. However, I truly believe it was altered and facts were omitted and changed so that it portrayed a certain vision of the band - CAH and Lindsey isolated from the uncaring band, etc. In terms of how she writes about herself, I really felt a lack of self-reflection and growth, to be honest. I was told a lot about what she learned and felt, but the way the story was told didn't really bear it out.

Quote:
Overall, I think the book is a good thing to have though, because I find the things people choose to embellish or lie about are just as revealing as the truthful anecdotes. I wish a few more people who have been associated with FM would write books, Sara and Ray for starters. But also Billy is writing one and I want to read about his FM years very badly.

Michele
This. A thousand times this. What is slightly altered in a story, what is omitted, what is added, etc, ALL these things are hugely of interest to me. It doesn't have to be a big lie; it's the smaller ones that usually interest me more, especially if they're consistently told that way. In addition, I find it fascinating seeing what adjectives she chooses to describe people or events, what note she ends chapters on, what metaphors re-occur, whether the verbs in stories are related to active or passive things on a consistent level, and so on. It's all very interesting to me.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 03-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so with you both on the above comments. I think the same way. I find the little nuances so intriguing.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:28 AM
Senior Ledgie

Location: By the beautiful 3 rivers in southeast Washington State

Can someone help me out? This thread caused me to have a slight interest in re-reading Storms, but part of the last page is missing. It's the page that starts out:

"Lindsey would often excise a small fragment of my angelic wing to use as a vehicle for the phallic, yet whimsical blunt he'd roll each evening, and I, not to be out witted by this abusive practice, would embezzle each and every guitar pick, from which to snort my blow, from his vast personal collection, set aside particularly and painstakingly before each show. It was I who was responsible each night as the bare skin of his fingers pelted the metal wire. Afterward, I recall with perfect clarity that I sneezed out of my own nose a sprinkled, frosted, cupcake and it was then I realized that whenever Lindsay left the room, Fleetwood Mac swapped out the blow for flour, cake flour, not self-rising as evidenced by the painful procedure of cheek implants just a few short yea.....

How does it end???

On another note. I don't post often, but I really love it here.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think she's doing more than trying to prolong her looks, to me she's trying to recapture the past. She's not the only one. I think there are two people in the FM circle who have never had anything in their lives that matched that exciting time and they are stuck in a cycle of trying to relive it, trying to preserve the past and stay in it, rather than just remember it. They may have new relationships, new spouses, but they haven't moved on from FM.

Michele
Who's the second one? Ken?
Old 03-14-2015, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdreamin View Post
Can someone help me out? This thread caused me to have a slight interest in re-reading Storms, but part of the last page is missing. It's the page that starts out:

"Lindsey would often excise a small fragment of my angelic wing to use as a vehicle for the phallic, yet whimsical blunt he'd roll each evening, and I, not to be out witted by this abusive practice, would embezzle each and every guitar pick, from which to snort my blow, from his vast personal collection, set aside particularly and painstakingly before each show. It was I who was responsible each night as the bare skin of his fingers pelted the metal wire. Afterward, I recall with perfect clarity that I sneezed out of my own nose a sprinkled, frosted, cupcake and it was then I realized that whenever Lindsay left the room, Fleetwood Mac swapped out the blow for flour, cake flour, not self-rising as evidenced by the painful procedure of cheek implants just a few short yea.....

How does it end???

On another note. I don't post often, but I really love it here.
LOL. I wish the last page (and the last page of the epilogue) were that amusing.

The last page of the chapter.

The last page of the epilogue.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 03-14-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
I think they were referring to her bootleg company that her and her boyfriend had, before she joined the recording studio as a receptionist.
That makes more sense, but is it right to call it "record company"?
As someone else stated, basically she sold bootlegs...
Old 03-14-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdreamin View Post
"Lindsey would often excise a small fragment of my angelic wing to use as a vehicle for the phallic, yet whimsical blunt he'd roll each evening... Afterward, I recall with perfect clarity that I sneezed out of my own nose a sprinkled, frosted, cupcake and it was then I realized that whenever Lindsay left the room, Fleetwood Mac swapped out the blow for flour, cake flour, not self-rising as evidenced by the painful procedure of cheek implants just a few short yea.....
Can someone explain what do these lines mean?
I just remembered that I never fully understood them, I think they were meant to be cool metaphores but since english isn't my first language I find it hard to grasp the concept, there are too many in a row.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I shake my head at the implausibility of people in the audience being awed by looking at her in the wings in her sheer dress, to the point where they were ignoring Stevie.
I always thought that sounded ridiculous when I read the book. But about a week ago CAH was talking about this very incident on FB and John Courage made several comments about that moment in time, which all kept in line with CAH's memories of that incident.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclare View Post
Who's the second one? Ken?
My guess would be Mick.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
My guess would be Mick.
I'm not sure whether that was a joke- but its funny (and pretty much true).
Old 01-23-2023, 10:36 PM
Junior Ledgie

I read it online over the weekend. So much has been said about it, but I wanted to add something because I went through a series of conclusions and finally arrived at this: even in my twenties, if my boyfriend had committed DV against me I would have been out of there in a heartbeat. Carol Ann isn't mentally challenged. This isn't the Dark Ages; she could have booked anytime.
But to allow it to continue... plus, what about the road crew who witnessed the after effects? They just turned a blind eye?
Old 01-24-2023, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bols59 View Post
even in my twenties, if my boyfriend had committed DV against me I would have been out of there in a heartbeat. Carol Ann isn't mentally challenged. This isn't the Dark Ages; she could have booked anytime.
But to allow it to continue... plus, what about the road crew who witnessed the after effects? They just turned a blind eye?
I have no interest in debating this issue specifically regarding Harris and Buckingham, but in relation to women staying with their abusers- it happens all the time. I’m glad you feel confident that you would leave in a heartbeat, good for you. Not everybody feels they can for a myriad of reasons. Tina Turner and Nicole Brown are two famous women who dealt with abuse by men who proclaimed to love them, and both had very different outcomes.

And again, speaking generally, yes other people ignore abusive behavior. Imagine you’re on a road crew, and you see a superstar slapping his girlfriend- who are you going to go to? HR? LOL! If you said one word in complaint, at least back then, you would have been fired so fast your head would have been spinning.

Abuse is a horrible thing, and not everyone reacts the same way to it.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If only domestic violence, especially in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s, was that simple. Also not commenting/debating that book or particular relationship.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2023, 01:00 AM
sweetdudejim
This message has been deleted by sweetdudejim.