Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-03-2003, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default A new fan.

I have to say that I am just starting to really appreciate Peter Green's enormous talent. When I was younger I listened to Then Play On a couple times in it's entirety but it was one or two Kirwan tracks I liked and that was all. Lately though I am hearing more in the Green tracks on that and earlier recordings and talk about growing on me! Wow. I think he was and is amazing and expressive, and I will start on getting the newer recordings. I guess we are lucky to have had him and to have him around still.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:23 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Woo-HOOO!!!

Another convert!

Old 01-04-2003, 05:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think I've heard anyhting from PGSG.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile YAY!

Keep diggin' Mac Fan & Becca, there's lots of great PG stuff to be heard from all parts of his career!

Maybe not, but I often wonder if some fans think that ALL of Peter's stuff (or possibly even just all pre '71 FM stuff) is "strictly blues". If not, then it's great that those of you have accurate information but, in case any of you DO/DID think this, then you should consider checking out some of Pete's stuff as Peter could ROCK like the rest (& the best) of 'em too!

John
Old 01-05-2003, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: YAY!

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
Keep diggin' Mac Fan & Becca, there's lots of great PG stuff to be heard from all parts of his career!

Maybe not, but I often wonder if some fans think that ALL of Peter's stuff (or possibly even just all pre '71 FM stuff) is "strictly blues". If not, then it's great that those of you have accurate information but, in case any of you DO/DID think this, then you should consider checking out some of Pete's stuff as Peter could ROCK like the rest (& the best) of 'em too!

John
I have to admit, that I thought all of his music would be Blues music. I think I've seen a few of his CDs somewhere, but didn't buy them. I'll keep looking for his CDs.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Petah' Green

I too was a "late" convert to Peter Green. I wasn't even too keen on the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac stuff when I first started listening to FM in the mid seventies. Man things have changed. Mr. Green is a true pro and I would have to agree with Mick when he says that he's my favorite guitar player from Fleetwood Mac (sorry Lindsey fans...just an opinion).

Get "Then Play On" by Fleetwood Mac and "Destiny Road" by PGSG. I love both of those albums.

Joe
Old 01-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm going to go for 'Collection' and for the first Splinter Group CD. I have Then Play On and my Dad had it as an album and love Closing My Eyes in particular. I also have an 18 track best of from Australia with a lot of Green and Spencer and three Kirwan tracks. Am hoping to get another from England because it has Geen Manilishi and Dragonfly and three others I don't have.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile BECCA

Yeah that English one you're referring to (and I'm sure it's the CBS GH from 1971) is the best place to start. It's probably even better for those who have NO Green era Mac and want an introduction (though I know you were saying you have heard some but you'll still like it I think) as it has a good mix of the blues AND rock stuff which is unusual for "early Mac" compilations.

John
Old 01-06-2003, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Splinter Group CD suggestions:

Time Traders
Destiny Road
Blues Don't Change
Soho Session (or Live In Soho, as the re-release is titled)
First Album (Japanese import version has a live version of "Green Manalishi" as a bonus track)

Robert Johnson's Songbook & Hot Foot Powder are "acquired tastes", I think (for the newbie to blues or to Peter Green).
Old 01-06-2003, 03:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

ChilliD, thanks for posting that.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Also...

I'd recommend the Japanese import of "Destiny road" as the 2 bonus tracks which are only on that version of the CD ("The brave" & "Gamblin' man") are among the albums' best tracks and it's still a mystery to me to as to why they were left off of the other editions of the album.

John