User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
It's a little different with Brunning, he may have only been a "placeholder" in retrospect, but at the time it really WASN'T a "given" that John would join. Glad he did, but it wasn't set in stone at the time.

Watson was there because Peter dragged him along. Doug Graves (as well as Bobby Hunt) was on par with current/recent touring additions like Neale Haywood, Carlos Rios & Brett Tuggle et.al, plus Stevie's "girls"....hired hands for tour purposes only. (and Steve Thoma, keyboardist during the '94/'95 tours) There wasn't any pretense of band "membership" at all in their hirings. Even the same could be said for Christine during the Kiln House album sessions & subsequent tour...I don't think she really was officially a member until after the tour & the Future Games sessions began.
I'll give you this, but one point of correction. Christine was announced as an official member of the group before the American tour of Kiln House. It was reported as such and can be found in one or two articles in the archive.

Here is one from March 1971, when she'd already been with them for more than six months:

http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.ph...v2&id=1047&c=2

Last edited by aleuzzi; 04-09-2014 at 08:25 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I'll give you this, but one point of correction. Christine was announced as an official member of the group before the American tour of Kiln House. It was reported as such and can be found in one or two articles in the archive.

Here is one from March 1971, when she'd already been with them for more than six months:

I seem to remember not that long back someone posting an article about Doug Graves being named a member and there is the footage of FM being introduced with new band member Doug Graves.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I seem to remember not that long back someone posting an article about Doug Graves being named a member and there is the footage of FM being introduced with new band member Doug Graves.
But Doug Graves never did an interview six months later, did he? The March 71 article I posted is still long in advance of the Future Games recording and still in advance of the end of the Kiln House tour. That's all.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Graves didn't even make it through the entire '74 tour...they got Bobby Hunt to play the last 4 or 5 shows. (Graves played the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert filming and did a couple of those "live in studio" recordings Sept - Nov '74, but Bobby Hunt was playing those final December shows...I know, I was at both the Kirshner taping and one of the final 2 shows of the tour)

Graves was engineer or 2nd engineer on Heroes Are Hard To Find & was most likely asked to play keys to "fill out the sound" (sound familiar?) for the tour. Don't know WHY he was swapped out for Bobby Hunt, except that Bobby had been in one (or more) of Bob Welch's pre-Fleetwood Mac bands and there was that connection.

Kirshner introduced the band one at a time...what's he gonna do? Leave out Doug Graves? Who was obviously on stage playing with the band. I think Don just overstepped his bounds introducing him as a "member". It'd be like somebody introducing Neale Haywood as a member nowadays.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
It's a little different with Brunning, he may have only been a "placeholder" in retrospect, but at the time it really WASN'T a "given" that John would join. Glad he did, but it wasn't set in stone at the time.
This is just pure speculation, but I would guess that Burnette, Vito, Mason and Bramlett would have had something in their contracts that they would be out of the band if you-know-who decided to return. In that sense, they could have been seen as "placeholders" too.

I think it was me who posted that Kirshner clip re Doug Graves. To me it all seems a bit ambiguous...and there was that quote from Graves that appeared to indicate he thought he was in the band itself. But I don't want to rake over all that again....
Old 04-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
This is just pure speculation, but I would guess that Burnette, Vito, Mason and Bramlett would have had something in their contracts that they would be out of the band if you-know-who decided to return. In that sense, they could have been seen as "placeholders" too.

I think it was me who posted that Kirshner clip re Doug Graves. To me it all seems a bit ambiguous...and there was that quote from Graves that appeared to indicate he thought he was in the band itself. But I don't want to rake over all that again....
Vito and Burnette were already in the band when CM was still there (TITN tour, 1988 GH, Behind The Mask, etc.) so doubt they had such issues. At least CM sang back up on some of Bekka's Time tracks so I doubt they had issues. Mason on the other hand may have been different but I think Mick knew that from day one of getting DM in that if she came back this would have to change, as far as what she wanted was concerned (as it sounds like she had more of an issue with him than he did with her).

CM joined FM in Aug '70. The Dragonfly/Purple Dancer single was the first thing released with CM as a member (There were some immigration and contractual delays for making her a member due to her still being under contract with Blue Horizon as a solo artist when the decision was made to have her join as a member).

John
Old 04-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
:
I doubt that. At the time (1994) Lindsey had just come off his OotC tour the previous year in which while promoting his solo tour, he wasn't saying all that nice of things about Mick & Fleetwood Mac in interviews...pretty much torching that bridge. At the same time, Stevie was pretty down about Mick & therefore Fleetwood Mac, as well, over the whole "Silver Springs" issue. It wasn't all that farts & giggles when they did the Clinton inauguration...they pretty much all said that they'd do it, then wish they hadn't when it came time for them all to do it.

At that point, there weren't any "placeholders" in Fleetwood Mac, they were who they were...Mick, John, Bekka, Billy & Dave (with Steve Thoma on the road and Christine in the studio). That WAS Fleetwood Mac. At that point, there was probably better odds that Peter, Jeremy & Danny would come back than Lindsey & Stevie. So, doubt if there was anything stipulated in any contracts.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default "Induction Denied: Bob Welch's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Tragedy''

We all feel that singer/songwriter/guitarist Bob Welch (formerly of Fleetwood Mac) should be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. We feel that Welch has been treated most unfairly by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and heres why:

When Fleetwood Mac was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, former Fleetwood Mac singer, songwriter and guitarist Bob Welch was snubbed despite the fact that he was a key member of the band from 1971-74! Bob Welch played guitar, sang lead vocals and wrote many of the songs on 5 Fleetwood Mac albums. Mick Fleetwood himself has said that Bob Welch was a major part of Fleetwood Macs survival and yet Welch has still not been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. We believe that no satisfactory reason has been given for why Welch was not inducted, and that the situation must be rectified by inducting Bob Welch into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You might add that he was also the front man for the band ,doing the intros and chit chat between numbers (at least that's how I remember it !)
Old 05-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default true

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
You might add that he was also the front man for the band ,doing the intros and chit chat between numbers (at least that's how I remember it !)
very true!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Today I heard Sentimental Lady. I love that song but it made me sad because it made me think about the way his life.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, I'm going to make some people pretty p'd-off here...

I can honestly understand why Bob was not inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame. I think he's a great musician, a very good song writer and a solid guitarist. There's absolutely no denying he kept the band together and for four years or so FM evolved around his talent. Some of his compositions feature in my all-time FM lists. Add in that he always seemed to be a really, really nice guy.

However, the whole point of the HOF is to recognise those who achieve significant things and influence others. Bob's record isn't great.
With FM:
5 albums. Highest chart: 34 (US)
Solo/non-FM- highest chart 12 (US)

I love the period from 1970-75. I so wish he had been part of the band with Stevie and Lindsey. I so wish they'd turned to him when Lindsey left in 87 and even after that I'd dreamed of a mass get-to gather-featuring Bob.

However, Bob was not a very talented guitarist and his song-writing (though extremely interesting) was limited. His record (chart-wise) with FM was not great and his time after FM was only moderately successful. There are loads of artists/bands that had his level of success and much, much more. If he hadn't had a link to FM there would have been no argument to be made.

I feel a bit hypocritical in that I've signed the petitions. I'm not against him being inducted per-se. But I can well understand why he wasn't. I appreciate there are plenty of bands that inducted all members. Equally (and more so?) there are bands that didn't induct all members.

I don't think his omission was a major mistake but I do think he was a major artist who played a majorly significant role in the history of this band. RIP Bob Welch.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

Thanks for this great article. A nice peak into their past history, straight from the mouth of Ms. Perfect.

Regarding FuzzyPlum's comments justifying Bob Welch's omission from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Blasphemy! Reasoning that because the period in which he was in the band wasn't commercially successful was a good reason to omit him. So all it was on his shoulders?? Wow. Bob's rolling over in his grave, and I'm standing up for Bob, for he is responsible for keeping the band alive. Sure, he had some weaknesses (as all of them do), but he was the vital link in the chain that kept the band going. Christine has acknowledged that in past interview.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-13-2014 at 08:47 PM..
Old 04-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nothing new but quite an interesting article...

Huffington Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/roger-...b_9619494.html

Deep Purple Bassist Nick Simper’s Hall of Fame Snub
Roger Weisman
Playwright, raconteur, and media/culture writer
Trying in Vain to Find Logic in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Induction Process

This year, Deep Purple, the classic English rock band that is credited with helping to lay the groundwork for heavy metal, is finally being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Having been eligible since 1993, many believe that this honor is long overdue, and others feared it would never happen as more and more diverse acts meet the 25 year mark required for admittance.

As is the case with many bands, Deep Purple included many musicians over the years, which presents the problem of deciding which members are to be honored. Usually the Hall recognizes members of “classic” lineups, whatever that means. In the case of Deep Purple, there are a number of omissions for various reasons. Current members Steve Morse (who replaced the notoriously cantankerous founding guitarist Ritchie Blackmore in 1994) and Don Airey (who took over the keyboard chair from Jon Lord in 2002) are not included, in spite of their years in the band. In addition, in spite of their popularity (largely due to other projects) the one-album stints of guitarist Tommy Bolin and vocalist Joe Lynn Turner were not enough to warrant inclusion. In the end, the Hall chose to induct all of the members from the band’s inception in 1968 up to the departure of Blackmore in 1975.

All except for Nick Simper, the founding bassist who played on the first three albums including the hit single, “Hush.”

Commenting in Classic Rock magazine, Simper himself seemed to take the snub in stride and did not blame his old bandmates. “Yes, it is a little strange that I am [the] only one from Marks I, II and III being left out, but I shan’t lose any sleep over this. It’s not as if I need to be given this award to know what we did in Deep Purple made an impact. And I’m sure it wasn’t a decision that came from the band.”

Even considering that the band did not achieve their greatest success or even their defining sound until his departure in 1969, his exclusion is quite inexplicable. After all, vocalist Rod Evans, whose tenure with band ended at the same time as Simper’s, is being honored, in spite of controversy and a lawsuit around fraudulent use of the band name.

Interviews with numerous Hall of Fame acts back up Simper’s belief that the groups themselves do not necessarily choose the inductees. I have tried to find the specific rules as to who is to be included, and who makes these decisions, but in vain. Even searching for consistency in the list of members proves to be problematic. In my search for a set of criteria, I found numerous examples which simply contradict each other.

The only thing I ever found that suggested a concrete rule was in the case of Jack Sherman, erstwhile guitarist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Sherman was vocal in his disappointment at being snubbed when the band was inducted in 2012. Though the decision was ostensibly made by the Hall of Fame, Sherman believed that the decision was influenced by the band itself. Told that induction was limited to “original and current members, and those who played on multiple records,” he believed that it was technicality designed to exclude him and Jane’s Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro, who played on the band’s 1995 album One Hot Minute when long-time member John Frusciante had taken a hiatus from the band. By these criteria, Sherman, who played on the first album but was not a founding member, did not qualify. In a turn of events that must have been particularly insulting, current guitarist Josh Klinghoffer, who had only a full member of the band for three years and had been all of four years old when the band was founded in 1983, did receive the honor of inclusion. This strange technicality made Klinghoffer the youngest member of the Hall of Fame.

The “original and current members, and those who played on multiple records” rule does explain many omissions, but not all. It does not explain the exclusion of Fleetwood Mac guitarist Bob Welch in 1998. Though Welch not a member of the original band or its later classic Rumours line-up, he was a pivotal member for several years and albums and was essential to saving a fracturing band while helping it make the transition from blues-infused hard rock to the pristine pop rock for which it is best known. Welsh attributed the snub to a then-recent breach of contract lawsuit between him and his former bandmates. This of course, would be a fallacious argument if the band indeed did not have some sort of say in who was inducted.

But apparently the band may have some say. When the Rolling Stones were inducted in 1989, the band requested that founding pianist Ian Stewart (“Stu”) be inducted with them, even though he was fired from the band (or to be more specific, was demoted from band member to session musician and road manager) before their first album. This decision was made by the Stones’ manager, Andrew Loog Oldham, who argued that the stocky, square-jawed Stewart did not fit the image of the young rebellious band. Jagger, Richards, and company, however, held him in high esteem. Keith Richards would frequently say, even after Stu’s death in 1985, “I still feel like I’m working for him. It’s his band.” They presented the argument to the Hall that, in spite of the fact that he had never been credited as a band member on any album, as a founder, he should be eligible. Now while he technically fits the rule that excluded Jack Sherman, as a member who was not terribly well known, it is hard to imagine that the Hall would have automatically inducted Stewart if it were not for the band’s intervention.

The current member factor seems to be used quite inconsistently. When the Grateful Dead were inducted in 1994, keyboardist Vince Welnick had been in the band for less than 4 years, but was still included . Meanwhile, when the Allman Brothers Band were so honored the following year, only original members were inducted, ignoring not only members from the mid 70s, when their popularity was at its zenith, but also then-current members including Warren Haynes, who was not only instrumental in their comeback six years earlier, but would later prove to be the glue that would hold the band together over the next couple of decades.¹

Now, I do not intend to slight Klinghoffer, but personally, I believe that Haynes is far more deserving of the honor.

Which leads me back to the case of Nick Simper. Before Deep Purple, Simper had played with a number of working English bands in the early sixties. Notably, he was the last bass player for Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, a hugely influential group whose single “Shakin’ All Over” became a rock staple and was famously covered by The Who on their Live at Leeds album. Admittedly a late-comer to the group, Simper had the sad distinction of being present (and injured) in the car crash that killed Kidd. He would later do a stint in Screaming Lord Such and the Savages before playing in the Flower Pot Men with Jon Lord.

It was Lord who recommended Simper to fill the role as bassist in Deep Purple, a band that he was starting with guitarist Ritchie Blackmore. When singer Rod Evans came to audition, he brought along his drummer Ian Paice, and the lineup of what would later be known as Deep Purple Mark I, would be complete. That lineup, which played a blend of proto-progressive and psychedelic rock, would find modest success and tour internationally.

Simper and Evans would be fired in 1969 due to the desire of Blackmore, Lord, and Paice to take the band in a heavier direction. Simper would play with a number of bands over the ensuing decades, but would never find the same level of success. Evans would resurface in Captain Beyond, a band that included former members of Iron Butterfly and Johnny Winter’s band. Not quite a “supergroup”, they were at the very least a “pretty-nifty-group.” They released a couple of well received, if not hot selling albums, before Evans left the music business to work as a respiratory therapist.

Unfortunately, Evans’ story took a pitiable turn in 1980, when he was recruited by a disreputable promotion company to participate what would be a Deep Purple reunion in name only, with a group of hired guns (apparently Simper was also approached, but turned down the offer). After a few warm-up gigs, the band was set to play at the 12,000 seat Long Beach Arena. On the day of the show, the managers of (the real) Deep Purple placed a half page ad in the LA Times informing audiences that no members of the band’s most popular Mark II and III lineups would be performing. The show went on as scheduled, and went off poorly. Sound problems abounded, the band was below subpar, and angry fans, realizing they’d been duped, began leaving immediately, many asking for refunds. A lawsuit was brought against Evans (assumed by many to be at the behest of guitarist Ritchie Blackmore) which resulted in his loss of all future Deep Purple royalties. It is a sad and embarrassing story and one does have to wonder how Evans, who was described by his former band mate, Bobby Caldwell, as an “intellectual giant” (although, to be fair, this is by rock star standards [ducks]) would have allowed himself to be roped in to such a dubious enterprise.

When I saw that Evans was being inducted and that Simper was not, I was perplexed. I don’t think that Evans should be excluded for events of over thirty years ago, but why was Simper excluded when his parallel tenure with the band was not marred with controversy? Who decided? Do the bands in question really have as little say as we are led to believe? Were there inter-band politics that we do not know about, or is it just another example of the bassist not getting any respect? This situation with Nick Simper and Deep Purple, above all others, indicates to me that there really is no rhyme or reason. Even if one argued that rules changed from year to year, this case indicates a complete lack of logic within itself.

If anyone can shed light on this, please let me know. Looking at these and other cases, it seems to me that the decisions of who gets in and stays home and bitterly watches the ceremony on TV, are taken on a case by case basis and based more on whims than specific criteria. We may never know the answer, but the case of Nick Simper once again highlights the irregularities and inconsistencies of the induction process of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

(¹The only reason I can imagine for this strange paradox is that Welnick joined a band that played together more or less continuously for several decades, as opposed to Haynes who joined a band that was reforming after having been broken up for several years. It’s not much, but it’s all I got, and it would explain the absence of Deep Purple’s Steve Morse and Don Airey.)
Old 04-09-2016, 08:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Steve Miller Tears Into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame After Induction

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steve...atest-articles

Though gracious in accepting his 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, Steve Miller wasn’t so kind backstage afterward. He offered withering criticism of the entire exercise, zeroing in on the way organizers dealt with honorees.

“The whole process needs to be changed from the top to the bottom,” Miller told reporters in the press room of the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. “They need to get their legal work straight. They need to respect the artists they say they’re honoring, but they don’t.”

Specifically, Miller said he didn’t prearrange for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to use his music or footage for the ceremony – and, in fact, still didn’t have a signed agreement. He also said organizers provided tickets for only him and his wife. They informed Miller that his fellow band members would have to pay their own way, with passes running as much as $10,000 a piece, he said.

At that point, a publicist for the induction ceremony attempted to cut Miller off – but he pressed on. “We’re not gonna wrap this one up,” Miller said, insisting the publicist sit down so that he could continue. “This is how close this show came to not happening, because of the way the artists are being treated right now.”

Miller’s stern commentary followed a hits-packed Hall of Fame set that began with “Fly Like An Eagle,” then continued through “Jet Airliner” before concluding with “The Joker.” He was inducted by the Black Keys.

Read More: Steve Miller Tears Into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame After Induction | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steve...ckback=tsmclip

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."