Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New Reissue - Fleetwood Mac - Boston 3CD Set

Thanks to superdeluxeedition.com for the info:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...oston-3cd-set/

Quote:
The live recordings on this new three-CD set feature the classic blues line-up of Fleetwood Mac (Mick Fleetwood, Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, John McVie and Jeremy Spencer) and date from February 1970 when they played three nights at the Boston Tea Party venue.

The tapes were originally left unissued, following Peter Green’s departure shortly after the gigs, but were remixed and remastered in the late nineties for individual issues of the three separate nights. They have been trotted out a number of times since, and this new set collects the three nights together, using the re-mastered recordings to present a complete document of these shows.

The release comes packaged in a round box with a 24-page book and – just what you wanted – five beer mats (!). The booklet contains new sleeve notes and reworked artwork.

U.K. Preorder Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...perdeluxeed-21

Germany Preorder Link: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00F...perdeluxe0c-21

Track listing:

Disc: 1
1. Black Magic Woman
2. Jumping At Shadows
3. Like It This Way
4. Only You
5. Rattlesnake Shake
6. I Can`t Hold Out
7. Got To Move
8. The Green Manalishi

Disc: 2
1. World In Harmony
2. Oh Well
3. Rattlesnake Shak
4. Stranger Blues
5. Red Hot Mama
6. Teenage Darling
7. Keep A Knocking
8. Jenny Jenny
9. Encore Jam

Disc: 3
1. Jumping At Shadows
2. Sandy Mary
3. If You Let Me Love You
4. Loving Kind
5. Coming Your Way
6. Madison Blues
7. Got To Move
8. The Sun Is Shining
9. Oh Baby
10. Tiger
11. Great Balls Of Fire
12. Tutti Frutti
13. On We Jam
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Will pick this up for the beer mats. And because the original single disc Snapper Vol 3 is impossible to find. The eq is actually better on a few late 80s releases though.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Will pick this up for the beer mats.
They are tempting.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 09-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

I hope they reinstate the bongo solo on Manalishi, there is room to on that disc. I also am relieved this will be on the market again due to worries of my current copy getting damaged then having to remortgage to buy the Snapper edition.

John
Old 09-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the notice. I preordered right away

Ms Moose
Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The best Live album of it's time

Had this been released back then, I have no doubt that this would have been hailed as one of if not the best of Live Rock albums of it's time. That list would have included:

Live Dead by the Greatful Dead recorded in 1969 at Fillmore East but released 70. Live at The Fillmore East by The Allman Brothers recorded late 70 released 71?, or Eat A Peach by A B a year later, Live at Leeds by the Who at Klooks Kleek (wherever that was), Undead by Ten Years After 69, Band Of Gypsies recorded 12/31/69 at the Fillmore East. Most of the other Live Albums were also rans anyway. I don't count Woodstock or festival releases or anything after 72 because it was a specific slice in time and of multiple bands participating.

doodyhead
Old 09-26-2013, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Had this been released back then, I have no doubt that this would have been hailed as one of if not the best of Live Rock albums of it's time. That list would have included:

Live Dead by the Greatful Dead recorded in 1969 at Fillmore East but released 70. Live at The Fillmore East by The Allman Brothers recorded late 70 released 71?, or Eat A Peach by A B a year later, Live at Leeds by the Who at Klooks Kleek (wherever that was), Undead by Ten Years After 69, Band Of Gypsies recorded 12/31/69 at the Fillmore East. Most of the other Live Albums were also rans anyway. I don't count Woodstock or festival releases or anything after 72 because it was a specific slice in time and of multiple bands participating.

doodyhead
It would've changed the future of Fleetwood Mac. I've been banging my head against a wall for five years to make that point clear. Whether Peter Green wanted to be a part of the future of the band, those Boston Tapes would've made him famous in 1970. Teenage guitarists in the States during the late 1980's would be trying play like Peter Green, as well as Clapton, Allman, and Hendrix.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Junior Ledgie

It was the Cerulean and Live Boston Tea Party lps from the 80s that got me into Peter Green. Several of the tracks on those sets are devastating. The long Rattlesnake Shake in particular and World In Harmony leaves it's studio counterpart in the dust.
The remastered box is excellent however Danny's guitar is frequently mixed back and some of the interplay is lost in key places for example on that same Rattlesnake Shake. The sound quality of the remaster is a vast improvement in my opinion but i have to stick with those better balanced mixes for listening pleasure.
I wish Wolfgangs Vault would crack on with issuing the Dinky Dawson tapes they have. I honestly believe that from the end of 1969 to may 1970 Fleetwood Mac were the best guitar band in the world.
I agree that if these Boston tapes had been issued in spring 1970 then Green would be even more of a role model for todays guitarists. As it is, he's something of a cult for those in the know. Same for Danny and was Jeremy ever better than Tiger and Stranger Blues on these sets ?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash1 View Post
It was the Cerulean and Live Boston Tea Party lps from the 80s that got me into Peter Green. Several of the tracks on those sets are devastating. The long Rattlesnake Shake in particular and World In Harmony leaves it's studio counterpart in the dust.
The remastered box is excellent however Danny's guitar is frequently mixed back and some of the interplay is lost in key places for example on that same Rattlesnake Shake. The sound quality of the remaster is a vast improvement in my opinion but i have to stick with those better balanced mixes for listening pleasure.
I wish Wolfgangs Vault would crack on with issuing the Dinky Dawson tapes they have. I honestly believe that from the end of 1969 to may 1970 Fleetwood Mac were the best guitar band in the world.
I agree that if these Boston tapes had been issued in spring 1970 then Green would be even more of a role model for todays guitarists. As it is, he's something of a cult for those in the know. Same for Danny and was Jeremy ever better than Tiger and Stranger Blues on these sets ?
I don't want to hijack the thread but I think this underpinn the idea of PG/FM being a superb live act: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dq-GV1M2YI
Old 09-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoork_1 View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread but I think this underpinn the idea of PG/FM being a superb live act: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dq-GV1M2YI
Arghhh-hhhh- hh! Holy smoke...., where does that sound-bit come from?

Ms Moose
Old 10-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
I hope they reinstate the bongo solo on Manalishi, there is room to on that disc.

John
Yes, and also those ~30 seconds of Jeremy's slide solo that has been edited out of 'Talk to me baby (a.k.a. I can't hold out)'. If you compare the remastered version to those released in the 80's, you'll notice that a small part has been removed.

GJK

Last edited by GJK; 10-01-2013 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 10-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
Arghhh-hhhh- hh! Holy smoke...., where does that sound-bit come from?

Ms Moose
Vienna....
First secs give a glimps of Peter Greens "guitar slinger" skills,
second part is my fav solo...
I thing this show made me aware of that his playing/style started to changed radically
Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 AM
Senior Ledgie

So are the versions of Black Magic Woman and Jumping at Shadows on Show-biz Blues not in the previous Boston set? Would be interesting to know if any other songs were left out. It seems like they played two sets at least one night based on announcer dialogue, and three nights total. Seems like there may be more unreleased songs.

Also, how is that Vienna concert? I've never heard it.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:02 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
So are the versions of Black Magic Woman and Jumping at Shadows on Show-biz Blues not in the previous Boston set? Would be interesting to know if any other songs were left out. It seems like they played two sets at least one night based on announcer dialogue, and three nights total. Seems like there may be more unreleased songs.
Yeah, the Show-Biz Blues Black Magic Woman/Jumping At Shadows are not on the 3-CD box. Some earlier releases also had an alternative version of World In Harmony and an unedited Green Manalishi with a conga solo that´s missing from the box.
It sure would be great to have all recorded music from these shows made available!
Old 10-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post

Also, how is that Vienna concert? I've never heard it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Yeah, the Show-Biz Blues Black Magic Woman/Jumping At Shadows are not on the 3-CD box. Some earlier releases also had an alternative version of World In Harmony and an unedited Green Manalishi with a conga solo that´s missing from the box.
It sure would be great to have all recorded music from these shows made available!
It's been quite a while since I've read the booket to Show-Biz Blues, but I seem to recall that "Black Magic Woman" & "Jumping At Shadows" were from the same show as "Rattlesnake Shake/Underway", "Tiger" & "Green Manalishi" (which originally made up side 1 of the classic bootleg entitled Merely A Portmanteau...which was from a show in Paris, if memory serves.