The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bekka Bramlett Interview (Lodi 9-2013)

Bekka Bramlett talks John Lennon’s laundry, the best part of musical life

Lodi News Sentinel, September 6, 2013

http://www.lodinews.com/lodi_living/...a4bcf887a.html

How do you describe yourself?

I’m a pretty fun-lovin’ gal. I have two arms and two legs and 10 fingers and 10 toes, and I just count my blessings every day. I’m an Aries, so I kind of wake up on fire and I go to bed on fire.

I really am lucky. I get to hang out and make music with my heroes and “sheroes.”

You’ve been performing with Shane Dwight lately. Who have you performed with in the past?

Shane and I are on a role right now. He’s a handsome booger; he’s not my boyfriend or anything, but we have a great brother-and-sistership. I feel like I’ve known him for 8 million years.

I’ve worked with Billy Joel, Elton John, Vince Gill, Faith Hill, Bob Seger, Jonny Lang and Pete Anderson and Patti LaBelle and Rod Stewart, and, of course, Fleetwood Mac.

You were a part of Fleetwood Mac when Stevie Nicks stepped down from the band. Did they want you to try to replace her on stage?

I would have never gone into it had they said, “Be the stunt Stevie.” For one thing, there’s only one Stevie Nicks, and I’m not her. But I am Bekka Bramlett! They wanted me to be me. (I was more comfortable) after we got on the road and I realized no one was going to throw tomatoes.

There’s no filling Stevie’s shoes, but how do you walk into that spotlight? I’m not that good of an actress anyhow.

You first started touring as a musician when you were 17, and your parents were musicians, as well. What was it like growing up?

I was raised in a pretty musical family. Daddy went to heaven a few years ago, but mommy is still rockin.’ I’m not kidding — we have a session tomorrow! (laughs).

Daddy would bring over Eric Clapton, George Harrison, John Lennon, Robin Miller, Jimi Hendrix. I was little. All I knew was some of them had accents and b.o. Those were the times they were quote-unquote rock ’n’ rollers, and wore the same stinky leathers. Mama (Grandma) would wash their clothes. They would be recording, and mama would say, “Well, let me was them clothes for you.” They’d say, “It’s quite alright,” (Bramlett says in a British accent). And she’d go, “Oh, no, really, you stinky rock ’n’ rollers.”

I just remember their kindness ... . They were right there at my kitchen table and on my couch and on our floor.

When I got my first dose of my own record, it was a huge array of Stevie Wonder and Al Green, ELO, Boston, AC/DC, all the way down to “The Sound of Music” and Sheena Easton. I learned from everything that inspired me.

What do you like people to experience when they see you play?

You know that they’re people just like us, needing to get out of the house. I’m a hermit myself, and my friends call me up: “OK, hermit, I’m getting you out of the house.” So when they buy a ticket to a show, they may also be buying a new outfit and hiring a babysitter. Shoot, they may even get a limo just to go out and have a good night.

I like to let them sweat and rock and make out and have a ball — especially on a budget. If we can do all that, and see their hands in the air, then I feel like I’ve been a part of a good night.

You’ve played with a lot of musicians, and have a lot of heroes and “sheroes.” How does Mr. Shane Dwight compare?

He is exactly worthy of standing tall with all of my heroes — he really is. Talent means a natural gift from God, and he understands this. He keeps that humble gorgeousness that is the same thing as B.B. King, the same as Eric Clapton.

He realizes the power of words are forever. You can’t be willy nilly. You can’t be thoughtless. You have to be a sharing, kind person. Shane is like that.

— Lauren Nelson
Old 09-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hilarious about the body odor.

Michele
Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for sharing this. Bekka has such a great personality.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 09-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting this! I wish I had some of her Aries energy...
Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

You were a part of Fleetwood Mac when Stevie Nicks stepped down from the band. Did they want you to try to replace her on stage?

I would have never gone into it had they said, “Be the stunt Stevie.” For one thing, there’s only one Stevie Nicks, and I’m not her. But I am Bekka Bramlett! They wanted me to be me. (I was more comfortable) after we got on the road and I realized no one was going to throw tomatoes.
Have I ever said how much I love Bekka Bramlett???

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-10-2013, 02:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Have I ever said how much I love Bekka Bramlett???
No, you haven't.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie