Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Review from the last night of the North American Tour

Entertainment Music
A study in contrasts
By MIKE ROSS, SPECIAL TO SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 25th June 2009, 2:11am

It was the last date of this particular leg of this particular tour -- till Denmark in October -- and Fleetwood Mac didn't seem the least bit tuckered out.

It was more like one last hurrah. It was drummer Mick Fleetwood's 66th birthday last night. Perhaps that explains it.

Actually, Stevie Nicks has always seemed a bit sleepy on stage, but that's just her style, you know?

While she omitted a few high notes during the show at Rexall Place last night, her sultry, sleazy, captivating voice was largely intact.

There's no one quite like this singer. She often plays with her notes in the manner of a bored cat toying with a doomed mouse, which might be an unpleasant image to associate with such a beautiful voice, but at heart I think Stevie Nicks is a cat person. She'd understand.

Anyway, her ex Lindsay Buckingham provided most of the fireworks during the extra-long hit parade (rescheduled from a date cancelled in May).

He comes off a bit too much in love with himself, but he's such an awesome guitarist that he's entitled, don't you think?

GREY PONYTAILS

The grey ponytailed rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, meanwhile, provided an oblivious rock solid accompaniment to this rock 'n' roll study in contrasts: the laid-back Stevie vs. the fiery Lindsay, the witchy woman vs. the howling wolf, pick your metaphor.

How these two ended up together is a mystery, but they did, the tension of their relationship and ensuing break-up supposedly providing some kind of magical, creative juice that resulted in one of the finest rock records ever made, Rumours.

Would it have been the same if they hadn't split? We'll never know. Fans should be pretty sure, however, that without this colourful couple, Fleetwood Mac would've probably been just another garden variety British blues band.

The pair of frontpeople made hash of their stormy past onstage -- for our amusement, surely.

In one of his bits of canned patter, Buckingham laughingly referred to the band's "complex and convoluted emotional history." He would expand on the theme later.

You can try to read body language into it. While Nicks gave Buckingham a hug at one point -- was this, too, rehearsed? -- the two largely kept to their respective sides of the stage, and their respective musical domains, too.

At times, she also twirled like a tasselled ballerina and played air guitar during his solos. Lindsay made a lot of guitar face, sometimes howling "oh yeah!" at the end of a particularly great solo.

Like I said, it was a study in contrasts, two concerts in one, really. Buckingham got the up-tempo, high energy stuff and the blistering solos -- especially shining in songs like I Know I'm Not Wrong, Go Insane and the distinctive Big Love.

Stevie took the mellow side of the road, haunting hits like Gypsy and Rhiannon (no relation to Chris Brown's girlfriend). She was especially "sleepy" -- let's just say hypnotic -- in one of her signature songs, Landslide.

TWO-HOUR HIT PARADE

Overall, it was a two-hour-plus hit parade that was promised to contain no new music, only "songs that we love to play and I'm sure you want to hear!" Buckingham declared. (Bachman Cummings take note.)

They played a bit with the arrangements, but not so much that you'd have to play "guess that tune" after the song kicked in.

The Chain -- with huge vocals provided by a trio of backup singers who couldn't possibly replace departed singer Christine McVie (talk about complex, convoluted emotions) -- came early.

The tribal groove of Tusk had the crowd cheering with joy. The canned horns filled the arena.

There are always things to nitpick about a bunch of 60-ish millionaires touring on their laurels -- they're doing it more for money than fun, let's get real here -- but this is Fleetwood Mac.

I always say that rock stars don't become famous by accident. They're up there for a reason. They're up there because they're great.

By the two-hour mark, Buckingham was still uncorking one wild solo after another, Nicks was still in good voice -- and several different outfits -- and Mick was still banging out the beat (and that damn gong) like a champ.

You couldn't ask for more. Well, you could, but let's not get greedy.

MAIN EVENT

Fleetwood Mac

IN THE SEATS

12,000 in Rexall

NOTE PERFECT

One last hurrah for the last date of the tour -- and happy birthday to Mick Fleetwood.

RATING

4 out of 5
http://www.edmontonsun.com/entertain...17951-sun.html
Old 06-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Concert review: Fleetwood Mac
By Tom Murray, June 25, 2009 6:14 AM

Where: Rexall Place

When: Wednesday night

EDMONTON — So, was it worth the wait, you ask?

With multiple stories running in all media about fans distraught at last month’s postponement of Fleetwood Mac’s Edmonton date, you just knew that anticipation would be running high when they finally rescheduled — and that the band would be fully aware they had to deliver.

Well, deliver they did, with a stomping two hours plus set of hits that eschewed almost all recent material and honed in on the hits.

Guitarist Lindsey Buckingham in particular was on fire from opener Monday Morning on, playing as though his life depended on it, sizzling leads igniting The Chain and Second Hand News, vocals coming straight from the heart. His ex-girlfriend and constant foil Stevie Nicks was a step behind, a strong singer but unable to hit the notes she once did on Rhiannon and Sara, or sharing missing member Christine McVie’s Say You Love Me with Buckingham.

Even with these slight reservations it was still an at times powerful experience — made so in part by one of the greatest and oft overlooked rhythm sections in rock history, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood — with songs that could’ve been glossed over after over thirty years of constant radio and live play. It was especially impressive considering the fact that all of the interior drama that made Rumours and Tusk such fantastic albums has now dissipated over the years as the various members have reconciled with each other. And although Buckingham made a special point of noting those tensions, you could still feel those old emotions rise up on songs like Second Hand News — or maybe it was simply the combined memories of 12,000 fans as up to date on the band’s romantic entanglements as they are.

A strange, strange situation to be in — personal hurts played out for entertainment — but then that’s where the band has always excelled.

And it has to be said that while they have little competition when it comes to muscular California pop, Nicks and Buckingham also slay when the acoustic numbers come out. Buckingham started it off alone with an impassive, almost vengeful Big Love that fully deserved the near unanimous standing ovation it got, with Nicks joining him for Landslide — good, but almost a letdown in comparison.

Buckingham’s intense performance reminded that while he was lumped in with the California folk pop movement of the ‘70s he always considered himself in some ways allied with the British punks — and that Tusk, their experimental to Rumours, was meant to take the band out of formula. It never did, but a few cuts have survived into the stage show — a long version of the hit Sara, and a reserved take on Storms.

To see a group as involved in their back catalogue as Fleetwood Mac is a heartening thing — especially with so many other bands simply playing by rote. They may not be breaking new ground as they once tried, but Buckingham did acknowledge with a wink that there is something in the works — fingers crossed that playing these old classics will give us a new Rumours and not, say, Mirage.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Enter...567/story.html
Old 06-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Registered

Thanks for these, vivfox.
Gosh, paid journalists (first review) can't get 'Lindsey' spelled correctly, nor the proofreaders/editors. Has Lindsay Lohan really had such an impact on the media that they assume every Lindsey is a 'Lindsay' ?? That's crasay.
Oh, the digs. "too much in love with himself"...."canned patter"
Earlier this concert season, he was compared to 'someone's drunk uncle' for his expanded take on 'NGBA'... Lindsey was so good on this tour, that this snarky-ness doesn't bother me, I even find it kind of amusing. Mostly, I'm relieved the snarksters aren't throwing acerbic barbs at Stevie, for once, even though many have noted her 'drowsy' demeanor this tour. It seems the 'clever' barbs have been aimed more at Lindsey, which may be a first. I wonder if the 'canned patter' were to show up 50 times on YouTube, from every show they performed, if he'd maybe realize it's kind of pointless to just say the same words without really a reason to Stevie, i think, has varied her 'Gypsy' introductions a bit, though not by much, and mainly perhaps to haphazard teleprompter vision! Well, she sure sees "Go To Tent" nice and clear, God Bless Her
I think it'd be funny to watch a Lindsey speech looped, with the 'we don't have a new album...yet' repeated at least 30 times from different cities on one YouTube video.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 06-25-2009 at 10:05 AM..
Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Entertainment Music
A study in contrasts

Last Updated: 25th June 2009, 2:11am

It was the last date of this particular leg of this particular tour -- till Denmark in October -- and Fleetwood Mac didn't seem the least bit tuckered out.

It was more like one last hurrah. It was drummer Mick Fleetwood's 66th birthday last night. Perhaps that explains it.

Actually, Stevie Nicks has always seemed a bit sleepy on stage, but that's just her style, you know?

While she omitted a few high notes during the show at Rexall Place last night, her sultry, sleazy, captivating voice was largely intact.

There's no one quite like this singer. She often plays with her notes in the manner of a bored cat toying with a doomed mouse, which might be an unpleasant image to associate with such a beautiful voice, but at heart I think Stevie Nicks is a cat person. She'd understand.

Anyway, her ex Lindsay Buckingham provided most of the fireworks during the extra-long hit parade (rescheduled from a date cancelled in May).

He comes off a bit too much in love with himself, but he's such an awesome guitarist that he's entitled, don't you think?

GREY PONYTAILS

The grey ponytailed rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, meanwhile, provided an oblivious rock solid accompaniment to this rock 'n' roll study in contrasts: the laid-back Stevie vs. the fiery Lindsay, the witchy woman vs. the howling wolf, pick your metaphor.

How these two ended up together is a mystery, but they did, the tension of their relationship and ensuing break-up supposedly providing some kind of magical, creative juice that resulted in one of the finest rock records ever made, Rumours.

Would it have been the same if they hadn't split? We'll never know. Fans should be pretty sure, however, that without this colourful couple, Fleetwood Mac would've probably been just another garden variety British blues band.

The pair of frontpeople made hash of their stormy past onstage -- for our amusement, surely.

In one of his bits of canned patter, Buckingham laughingly referred to the band's "complex and convoluted emotional history." He would expand on the theme later.

You can try to read body language into it. While Nicks gave Buckingham a hug at one point -- was this, too, rehearsed? -- the two largely kept to their respective sides of the stage, and their respective musical domains, too.

At times, she also twirled like a tasselled ballerina and played air guitar during his solos. Lindsay made a lot of guitar face, sometimes howling "oh yeah!" at the end of a particularly great solo.

Like I said, it was a study in contrasts, two concerts in one, really. Buckingham got the up-tempo, high energy stuff and the blistering solos -- especially shining in songs like I Know I'm Not Wrong, Go Insane and the distinctive Big Love.

Stevie took the mellow side of the road, haunting hits like Gypsy and Rhiannon (no relation to Chris Brown's girlfriend). She was especially "sleepy" -- let's just say hypnotic -- in one of her signature songs, Landslide.

TWO-HOUR HIT PARADE

Overall, it was a two-hour-plus hit parade that was promised to contain no new music, only "songs that we love to play and I'm sure you want to hear!" Buckingham declared. (Bachman Cummings take note.)

They played a bit with the arrangements, but not so much that you'd have to play "guess that tune" after the song kicked in.

The Chain -- with huge vocals provided by a trio of backup singers who couldn't possibly replace departed singer Christine McVie (talk about complex, convoluted emotions) -- came early.

The tribal groove of Tusk had the crowd cheering with joy. The canned horns filled the arena.

There are always things to nitpick about a bunch of 60-ish millionaires touring on their laurels -- they're doing it more for money than fun, let's get real here -- but this is Fleetwood Mac.

I always say that rock stars don't become famous by accident. They're up there for a reason. They're up there because they're great.

By the two-hour mark, Buckingham was still uncorking one wild solo after another, Nicks was still in good voice -- and several different outfits -- and Mick was still banging out the beat (and that damn gong) like a champ.

You couldn't ask for more. Well, you could, but let's not get greedy.

MAIN EVENT

Fleetwood Mac

IN THE SEATS

12,000 in Rexall

NOTE PERFECT

One last hurrah for the last date of the tour -- and happy birthday to Mick Fleetwood.

RATING

4 out of 5
http://www.edmontonsun.com/entertain...17951-sun.html
Awesome review!!! But wasn't Mick born in 1947???? That means that it was his 62th birthday

Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDonna93 View Post
Awesome review!!! But wasn't Mick born in 1947???? That means that it was his 62th birthday
Mick has been waffling about his age for 2 decades now... he's 61 going on 66 this year!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Mick has been waffling about his age for 2 decades now... he's 61 going on 66 this year!
What??? LOL

Old 06-25-2009, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
To see a group as involved in their back catalogue as Fleetwood Mac is a heartening thing — especially with so many other bands simply playing by rote. They may not be breaking new ground as they once tried, but Buckingham did acknowledge with a wink that there is something in the works — fingers crossed that playing these old classics will give us a new Rumours and not, say, Mirage.
Maybe they have something up their sleeves new material wise, and will sneak up and surprise the hell out of all of us. One can hope!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDonna93 View Post
What??? LOL
I'm totally serious... he started lying about his age about the time he wrote his book... that's been about 20 years now. I believe him to actually be 66 (maybe going on 67?), but he's especially telling all the press this year that he's turning 61. Hey, if it makes him feel better, more power to him. He's still chugging along on his drum kit and working to keep the band togethe, that's all that matters to me!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hahahahaha, it's only our Mick Fleetwood who's doing that kind of stuff, hahahaha Well, I read on wiki that he was born 1947 but maybe that's wrong....hahahaha, love his humour!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I'm totally serious... he started lying about his age about the time he wrote his book... that's been about 20 years now. I believe him to actually be 66 (maybe going on 67?), but he's especially telling all the press this year that he's turning 61. Hey, if it makes him feel better, more power to him. He's still chugging along on his drum kit and working to keep the band togethe, that's all that matters to me!
I used to think this, but he's the youngest of 3 and when his older sister died, when I read her obituaries it was clear that Mick had to be born after she was, which was 1944. So, then I started to believe him more about
1947. And it wasn't just her obit, but interviews she gave during her life, talking about their upbringing that helped confirm his age. One of the pieces about her from 1990 is here: http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...1&postcount=12.

But even Lindsey has joked with Mick onstage about the discrepancy. Lindsey told him during the SYW tour that there were some reports that had him 5 years older.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 06-25-2009 at 11:16 AM..
Old 06-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Entertainment Music
A study in contrasts

Fans should be pretty sure, however, that without this colourful couple, Fleetwood Mac would've probably been just another garden variety British blues band.
"GARDEN VARIETY"???? Mike Ross, you don't have a CLUE, your head is so firmly superglued up your ass.

Savoy Brown is "garden variety"...Fleetwood Mac was the cream of the crop...nobody could touch 'em (not even Clapton & his cronies).

And, in addition, Fleetwood Mac had stopped being a blues band 6 YEARS before Buckingham & Nicks joined.

Last edited by chiliD; 06-25-2009 at 11:17 AM..
Old 06-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey all,

Just got back from Edmonton after attending the show last night and wanted to share.

They had a little bit more energy than in Calgary. Again, same set, 1 encore. One really fun thing...at the very end of "Gold Dust Woman," when it was very quiet, someone in the crowd yelled "HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICK!" Then, right before they were going to start "Oh Well" the crowd broke into "Happy Birthday". When the singing stopped, Lindsey quipped "Wow...you guys really have your **** together"

Stevie dedicated Landslide... "as a strong woman...to the women of Iran in the struggle for freedom"

The crowd was a lot of fun as well. I made a friend in the row ahead of me who was dying to hear GDW, and went nuts when it finally happened. Wasn't one of you by any chance was it?

At the end of the show, Stevie encouraged us to hop a plane to Denmark for their next show.

Anyway...I just did 2 shows in 2 days. I'm completely exhausted. It's been a dream of mine to follow them around to multiple gigs, like so many of you have done. And it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala View Post
Stevie dedicated Landslide... "as a strong woman...to the women of Iran in the struggle for freedom"
Wow, that's highly unusual for Stevie to say something that political, especially in concert. It's good to hear that Stevie is paying attention to current world events, even on the road . It's a good reminder she's not as dippy as she'd have us believe .
Old 06-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala View Post
Hey all,

Just got back from Edmonton after attending the show last night and wanted to share.

They had a little bit more energy than in Calgary. Again, same set, 1 encore. One really fun thing...at the very end of "Gold Dust Woman," when it was very quiet, someone in the crowd yelled "HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICK!" Then, right before they were going to start "Oh Well" the crowd broke into "Happy Birthday". When the singing stopped, Lindsey quipped "Wow...you guys really have your **** together"

The crowd was a lot of fun as well. I made a friend in the row ahead of me who was dying to hear GDW, and went nuts when it finally happened. Wasn't one of you by any chance was it?

At the end of the show, Stevie encouraged us to hop a plane to Denmark for their next show.

Wow, they said a lot of unique things last night. I wish I could have been there to hear it. Mick's birthday, Iran, Denmark. What spontaneity from them. Love it. I've enjoyed this tour immensely. In 1984 I saw the Jacksons' Victory tour 11 times. Had no plans to see Jackson in London this summer. Figured I would buy the dvd when it came out. Well . . . I'm not going to wait to buy any Fleetwood Mac dvds.

I can't accept Stevie's invitation to see the band in Denmark, but I will try to see them in Europe and try to make all the memories last.

Michele
Old 06-26-2009, 02:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a very close friend who lives in Denmark... I would give an arm and a leg to visit her during the week of that show.