Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Murphys, CA (Ironstone) preview article

http://www.lodinews.com/features/art...6532fc592.html

Fleetwood Mac's Buckingham, McVie bring duo project to Ironstone

Fleetwood Mac's Buckingham, McVie bring duo project to Ironstone
To celebrate the release of their new self-titled duo album, Fleetwood Mac veterans Lindsey Buckingham, left, and Christine McVie are going on tour. They'll be making their only California stop at Ironstone Amphitheatre in Murphys, joined by the Wallflowers. (John Russo/Courtesy photograph)

If you go
When: 8 to 10 p.m. Friday, July 21, 2017
Where: Ironstone Amphitheatre, 1894 6 Mile Road, Murphys
Tickets: $55 to $250; buffet tickets available for purchase
More information: www.ironstoneamphitheatre.net
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 5:10 pm

By Kyla Cathey/Lodi Living Editor

Three years ago — just months after she rejoined Fleetwood Mac for the "On With the Show" tour — Christine McVie and bandmate Lindsey Buckingham headed to the studio to reconnect and record new material.
Despite the time apart, the pair quickly got back in the swing of things. The result is their first-ever duo project: the 10-song album "Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie," released in June.
The project's scope was unexpected, Buckingham said.
"It got sort of started as a lark," he told the News-Sentinel.
The pair began the songwriting project with their thoughts on a new Fleetwood Mac album. But once he and McVie began working together again, it took on a larger scope. They had admired each other's songwriting abilities for decades, and wanted to work on a few songs together.

When bandmate Steve Nicks' tour schedule caused delays with the band's next album, Buckingham and McVie decided to work on the duo project. Soon, they were turning out singles like the soulful "In My World" and African island-inspired "Red Sun."

Mick Fleetwood and John McVie contributed to the album's rhythms.
Now, Buckingham and McVie have launched a not-to-be-missed summer tour, and the only California stop is at Ironstone Amphitheatre in Murphys.
"I hear it's a great venue," Buckingham said.

The pair have — individually and together with each other and their bandmates — written some of the biggest hits in Fleetwood Mac's songbook.
McVie was behind songs like "Think About Me," "Songbird," "Don't Stop," "Save Me" (with Eddy Quintela), "Everywhere," "Hold Me" and "Little Lies" (with Eddy Quintela).

Buckingham — who was also named one of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time by Rolling Stone in 2011 — was the creative force on "Go Your Own Way," "Never Going Back Again," "Tusk," "Second Hand News" and "Can't Go Back."

He counts "Big Love" as one of his favorites to write — though choosing a favorite is hard.

"It was a band ensemble song, the way it was originally conceived and executed," he said.

But over time, it's also found a role as a single guitar piece as well.
"It continues to represent what one might call the high water mark of a style of playing I revere and want to put out there as what I do," Buckingham said.

It shows how a song can evolve, he added.

Solo projects like those he and McVie have taken on — as well as their duo project — are a big part of Fleetwood Mac's success. The band helped Buckingham launch his solo career, but his solo projects have helped him better work with the band, he said.

Often when a band turns out a hit — like Fleetwood Mac's album "Rumours" — their audience begins to expect them to follow a set of formulas.
But Fleetwood Mac took some risks with "Tusk," their next album, and it panned out, Buckingham said.

"That has led me to be wary of painting myself into a corner," he said.
Smaller projects like solo albums or "Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie" help each of the band members continue to grow and stretch their musical and writing talents.

"That's what they represent, the ability to keep taking risks," he said.
The variety and chance to work on independent projects has been a change from the party lifestyle and "soap opera" of Fleetwood Mac's early days, Buckingham said.

Buckingham left Fleetwood Mac in 1987, and McVie stopped touring in 1991, though she did continue to record with the band for a time. In 1997, the band re-formed with Buckingham on-board ever since, but McVie soon left again, retiring for several years.

When she rejoined in 2014, the band made her promise she'd stay this time, Buckingham said with a chuckle.

Despite their trials over the years, the band remains close, he said.
"The family that is the five of us, this unlikely group of people to be in the same band together ... that's kind of what makes it work," he said.
It's a sentiment McVie echoed in a press release about the tour.
"Lindsey — and everyone in Fleetwood Mac — really has been my big, beautiful, crazy family, and I missed them, I missed making music with them. I missed their company," she said.

Buckingham and McVie will tour through the end of the month, and then Buckingham will be back at work on other projects.

"I'm pretty much done with another solo album. As of now, that is scheduled to come out as of January," he said. If his tour with McVie is extended, that could be pushed back, he added.

But it won't be the end of his collaboration with McVie and the rest of the band.
"Fleetwood Mac is planning on going out again," he said — maybe as early as next year.

The Wallflowers will be opening for Buckingham and McVie.

[with a risk of attracting more social meida hate from TL members who do not seem inclined to start threads themselves, posting the article that popped up in my feed. folks certainly do love to hate on TL all over social media, don't they?]

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"