Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default You Magazine, Nov. 16

Thanks to David for this article and the other.

You Magazine (Sunday Daily Mail)
November 16, 2003

Stevie Nicks
55, is the singer-songwriter of Fleetwood Mac – on tour for the first time in 15 years
by Maureen Paton

My parents were very protective of me. They both grew up poor during the Depression, and my mother vowed I would never go through what she’d gone through.

By the time I was five, I was a little diva. I was out of control, so my parents decided to have another child. I hated Chris, my brother. I would pull his hair and kick him, until one day my father gave him permission to fight back. I’ll be apologising to him for the rest of my life.

My mum and dad made me emotionally open. That was the atmosphere I grew up in. It’s very hard for women in the music business to have relationships, though.

When you’re rich and famous you are the dominant force in a relationship, even if you try hard not to be. I’ve talked of sacrificing everything for Fleetwood Mac, but I realise now that it is simply the only thing I’ve ever wanted to do.

I’ve been married once, but we separated within months. My friend Robin died of leukemia in 1983, three months after giving birth to her son. Three months later, in the emotion of the moment, I married her widower. But it wasn’t a marriage at all. I didn’t marry again, as I knew I’d never be home, and didn’t want to argue with someone about my work.

My first serious boyfriend was a senior in high school, the same year I met Lindsey Buckingham, my fellow songwriter. Lindsey is the only boyfriend I ever really lived with. I loved to make sure his blankets were right, his food was right.

Lindsey and I have forgiven each other for all the horrible days we put each other through. We are so enjoying each other right now. We get to have our little love affair on stage again and again, and we share it with the world, but I know he’s really happy with his wife Kristen.

Don Henley, of the Eagles, and I had a wonderful relationship for over a year, but we were in two of the most famous bands in the world, and our time together was limited.

The one who broke my heart most was probably Joe Walsh (also with the Eagles), but I’ve never admitted that before. We were busy being superstars – and everyone was doing way too many drugs – but I was so in love with him. Joe is married again now, but we’re still close.

I’m still friends with all my ex-boyfriends. I’m going on holiday with Mick Fleetwood and his wife. Mick was married to his previous wife, Jenny, when we had a relationship; I felt very bad about it, as I adored their daughters. But we were completely high and messed up. We knew it was doomed. If it had gone on, it would have broken up Fleetwood Mac.

I’m great friends with Sheryl Crow, who is like my baby sister. I’m very protective of her.

I made a conscious decision that I was not going to have children. I didn’t want others raising them, and looking after them myself would get in the way of being a musician and writer.

Lindsey had his first child at the age of 50, and I feel his little girl Leelee is like my own. I’m not her godmother, but I insist on being a part of her life. She is just to die for. And their little boy Will is gorgeous, like his father. I tell Lindsey’s wife that their children make my heart sing. I feel that this is the way it’s supposed to be.

I think my mum and dad would be delighted if I adopted a baby. I have my extended family though. When I’m not touring, I live with my brother Chris, his wife Lori and their daughter Jessie, in the house in Phoenix I’ve had since 1980. My parents live five minutes away.

At Christmas I’ll be home for six weeks. That’s when I bond with my family. My mum collects my cuttings; Chris does my merchandising and Lori is one of my backing singers.

Chris sat with me when three girls were killed in a car crash after going to my show. I needed someone to tell me it was not my fault. Nobody but Chris could get that over to me.

My other family is Fleetwood Mac. I don’t need the money, but there’s an emotional need for me to go on the road again. There’s a love there; we’re a band of brothers.

Last edited by Les; 11-17-2003 at 12:19 AM..
Old 11-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Thanks Les and David!!

Quote:
Lindsey had his first child at the age of 50, and I feel his little girl Leelee is like my own. I’m not her godmother, but I insist on being a part of her life. She is just to die for. And their little boy Will is gorgeous, like his father. I tell Lindsey’s wife that their children make my heart sing. I feel that this is the way it’s supposed to be.
I LOVE this part!!! I wish we could see a pic of lil Will!!
Old 11-17-2003, 12:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, thanks for sharing. This is the kind of stuff I wish the Ask Stevie section at the Nicksfix had.
I don't remember the last time she spoke so candidly about Joe, Kim, Mick, AND Don. Glad somebody in the magazine world remembers she had loves after Lindsey.

- Jake
Old 11-17-2003, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Exactly Jake

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
The one who broke my heart most was probably Joe Walsh (also with the Eagles), but I’ve never admitted that before. We were busy being superstars – and everyone was doing way too many drugs – but I was so in love with him. Joe is married again now, but we’re still close.
I really do believe Joe was the love of her life....she doesn't really speak about him a ton, but that makes me think what they had was almost sacred or something.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Exactly Jake

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
I really do believe Joe was the love of her life....she doesn't really speak about him a ton, but that makes me think what they had was almost sacred or something.
You're almost right. He's the love of her life until Fate brings us together.

- Jake
Old 11-17-2003, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Exactly Jake

Quote:
Originally posted by darklinensuit
You're almost right. He's the love of her life until Fate brings us together.
Fair enough then. You keep Joe Walsh, I'll take Stevie.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Exactly Jake

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
She said Joe hurt her the most... but according to the Mojo article Les posted, Stevie said recently (around the time of the Madison Square Garden show) that Lindsey is her "love for all time." Do you think she means "the love of my life?" Not to get into the "Stevie's 3 great loves" discussion again, cause the Lord knows we've beaten that thing to death!

I really liked this article... it was like we were listening to her given a monologue or something, very cool. And the thing about the 3 girls dying in the car crash, that was after my show in Greensboro I was wondering if they'd heard about it...
Old 11-17-2003, 01:28 AM
Senior Ledgie

~~~Thanks for this view of a very candid Stevie who seems at peace with her life and the decisions she's made - good for her!
"These days Lindsey deals with me on a much kinder level. And I'm more willing to be open with him. It's nice to think that I might go to my grave being Lindsey's friend and not a thorn in his side for all eternity."
~~~Stevie Nicks - August, 1997~~~
Old 11-17-2003, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by golddust
~~~Thanks for this view of a very candid Stevie who seems at peace with her life and the decisions she's made - good for her!
I totally agree, it's really nice to know that she's in such an emotionally good place. I'm really happy for her.

Thanks for posting this great article, Les.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: You Magazine, Nov. 16

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
Thanks to David for this article and the other.

Stevie sure is cutting loose lately.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy You Magazine!!!

Thanks David and Les!!!!
Lindsey had his very first child at 48!!!
On July 8, 1998...he was 48 years old!
LeeLee at 50! So Glad Stevie figured out
Lindsey Loves his Wife and Kids as Joe does,
Don, Mick and all "her guys"! Stevie is very
dramatic...a romantic and makes it up as
she goes along...an illusion, we think!!!
AT times her true love is Lindsey,now Joe?
This tired subject is rather... Boring!Sky
Old 11-20-2003, 03:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Does anyone else think this article reads a little strange? I know it was printed, but it's as if the author took some liberties with the quotes. I just can't hear Stevie saying things like "My mum collects my cuttings" (huh?) or "I married her widower" (who talks like that??). It's like one of those bad, machine translations!

It sounds like stuff she might say, but there must have been some heavy editing. It's like they cut out her personality and left just the straight facts

Daniel
stevie-nicks.info
Old 11-20-2003, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I'm not certain about the editing.

Quote:
Originally posted by SpyNote
Does anyone else think this article reads a little strange? I know it was printed, but it's as if the author took some liberties with the quotes. I just can't hear Stevie saying things like "My mum collects my cuttings" (huh?) or "I married her widower" (who talks like that??). It's like one of those bad, machine translations!

It sounds like stuff she might say, but there must have been some heavy editing. It's like they cut out her personality and left just the straight facts

Daniel
stevie-nicks.info
Daniel, you are probably correct, but I've also heard interview where Stevie mimics accents on interviews, when in a loose, playful mood. She might well have said "mum" part at least.

I think the heavier editing actually happens when people don't feel like typing up her wordiness (quite similar to what is handed down to us on the official site's Q&As.

It's a great read though. All the ummmmmm, etc have been excised.

Thank you, Les and David for getting this out to us.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by SpyNote

Daniel
stevie-nicks.info
This is an article that is a regular thing in the magazine every Sunday with a different famous person. Its a suppliment with a Sunday news paper.

I do feel they edited it very much to fit the format it always follows.

Love Sarah