Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Who does she think she is?

Who does she think she is? Well, Stevie Nicks, of course, but does that justify the hubris of statements like (paraphrasing) "No one buys new music, we should just focus on touring"

Well, people bought the new/old music of Songs From The Vault. Rather than do another solo retrospective, why not give Joan of Arc, Julia and Space Needle and My Mother's Rings over to the band that made her famous? I've said that before and I'm saying it again. I will be angry if she does 24KG 2 instead of giving vault songs to the Mac. It's self-indulgent and arrogant. She knows the fans of her solo work vastly also enjoy Fleetwood Mac and want new or at least old unreleased music from "her band". Or "Chris's band"...remember that quote "it's your band, Christine Mac-vie, Fleetwood Mac, you started the band, so as far as I'm concerned, you just come on back" (cute).

Thoughts?

Last edited by secret love; 01-21-2018 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: Add videos
Old 01-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She is an almost 70 year old Rock star that had a very successful solo and band career that can do what ever she wants. We need to be thankful we get what we get. I questioned what she would release after 1987's Tango in the Night......... 30 years later still releasing...
Old 01-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The thing about concerts is they're of no use at the gym for your workout. You need to load audio on your phone for that, or suck songs off the cloud. So I'd prefer to have audio that bands release in the ordinary sense than all the concertizing all year. Fleetwood Mac has become a concertizing band solely, and Stevie is about 90 percent dedicated to concertizing.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-21-2018, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She can do as she pleases. My only beef is the lack of recordings overall. I would welcome a 24KG2 over an FM project for sure. More songs!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Secret love sure likes to stir the pot with these threads

Its hard to take Stevie at her word. I don't believe her comments at all. She has released 2 new albums within the last 5 years. Her comment about not wanting to record new music because no one buys it was her lame reason for not doing a Fleetwood Mac record. Instead of being honest on why she does not want to record with the Mac, she made up this clever line. If she really believed that she would not have recorded her solo albums 24K Gold and In Your Dreams. I remember Stevie saying something along the lines how proud she was of In Your Dreams and it was her best effort and she was so happy even if it did not sell well.
Tell me lies
Tell me sweet little lies
Old 01-21-2018, 07:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

With SN saying she doesn't want to record pretty much anymore (with FM),
the lyrics from a LB/CM song are straight about Stevie not wanting record if albums won't sell...

"Strange music echoed in my head
I waited for words left unsaid
The rains came and washed away my fear
I heard you whisper in my ear

I won't lay down
Lay down for free
I won't lay down
Lay down for free
For free
For free"

I particularly like to direct reference to the line from "Dreams",
SN - When the rains washes you clean, you'll know.
LB - The rains came and washed away my fear.

But back to the subject...
The chorus spells it out. I think FM has resolved that SN doesn't want to "lay down any tracks" if some sort of monetary reward isn't involved.

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 01-24-2018, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Freakazoid View Post
I think FM has resolved that SN doesn't want to "lay down any tracks" if some sort of monetary reward isn't involved.
Artists do not make money off of record sales. It's actually been this way for years (and before the internet). I think the artist might receive only a few cents off of each record sold. Record company contracts are written to benefit the record label--no one else.

What's more, the way the record company justifies this robbery is by telling the artists that they can now TOUR and make millions of dollars because they have a hit record.

I'm not quite sure what Stevie means about albums not selling. Why would it matter? Even if the next Fleetwood Mac record sold 10 million copies, Stevie would see VERY LITTLE of that money. It would so straight into the record label pockets.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Artists do not make money off of record sales. It's actually been this way for years (and before the internet). I think the artist might receive only a few cents off of each record sold. Record company contracts are written to benefit the record label--no one else.

What's more, the way the record company justifies this robbery is by telling the artists that they can now TOUR and make millions of dollars because they have a hit record.

I'm not quite sure what Stevie means about albums not selling. Why would it matter? Even if the next Fleetwood Mac record sold 10 million copies, Stevie would see VERY LITTLE of that money. It would so straight into the record label pockets.

So true! ... however, I'm guessing that FM negotiates more per units sold. Sure, artists just starting out receive fewer points per unit sold hence why so many go the indie distrubution route now, but they don't get the publicity push behind the album. LB gone that route on solo stuff.
If this is the last FM album, I'm sure the PR behind it would be huge. And all the managers would be pushing hard for higher points. But, it's cut 5 ways, and I'm sure SN likes it cut one way
sure... she doesn't like being in the studio with LB, she's earned her right to do what she wants, etc....
I just hope she will look at the big picture, since she has always said it's all about 'the fans' ... and how it will go down in RnR history if this 5 does one last swan song. I mean, it's all about the ART, right? lol

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 01-24-2018, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Freakazoid View Post
I just hope she will look at the big picture, since she has always said it's all about 'the fans' ... and how it will go down in RnR history if this 5 does one last swan song. I mean, it's all about the ART, right? lol
See the big picture is exactly right. More than just selling records, Fleetwood Mac should be focused on creating their FINAL artistic masterpiece. It is entirely possible. At this stage in their career, these iconic legends of rock and roll should not be worried about Top 40 pop hit records and selling millions of copies. Their status has already been cemented. Why not take the high road and create a beautifully layered album that will stand as a masterpiece? Another "Tusk" is within their reach.

For example, when Bob Dylan was nearly 57 years old, he created one of the greatest albums of his career in "Time Out Of Mind". For many fans and critics, the album marked Dylan's artistic comeback after he appeared to struggle with his musical identity throughout the 1980s. "Time Out of Mind" is hailed as one of Dylan's best albums, and it went on to win three Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year in 1998. It was also ranked in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time in 2003. The record included some of his most sublime songs including "Not Dark Yet" and "To Make You Feel My Love". QUESTION: Do you think Dylan was worried about Top 40 hits and record sales at that stage in his career? I think not. Dylan's status as a legend had already been established. Similar examples include Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" and Tom Petty's "Wildflowers" (both produced by Rick Rubin). These men were making the greatest music of their careers as older artists who cared little about "record sales".

Thus, back to Fleetwood Mac. For anyone in this group to care about record sales and Top 40 hits at 70 years old is DEMEANING! It's beneath them to strive for huge record sales that will never come. They are millionaires many times over and can still fill arenas rehashing their old dinosaur hits. If they care ANYTHING about their artistic legacy and leaving behind some sense of respect, they will immediately set about making a serious, layered, artistic record with a groundbreaking studio producer.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
See the big picture is exactly right. More than just selling records, Fleetwood Mac should be focused on creating their FINAL artistic masterpiece. It is entirely possible. At this stage in their career, these iconic legends of rock and roll should not be worried about Top 40 pop hit records and selling millions of copies. Their status has already been cemented. Why not take the high road and create a beautifully layered album that will stand as a masterpiece? Another "Tusk" is within their reach.

For example, when Bob Dylan was nearly 57 years old, he created one of the greatest albums of his career in "Time Out Of Mind". For many fans and critics, the album marked Dylan's artistic comeback after he appeared to struggle with his musical identity throughout the 1980s. "Time Out of Mind" is hailed as one of Dylan's best albums, and it went on to win three Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year in 1998. It was also ranked in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time in 2003. The record included some of his most sublime songs including "Not Dark Yet" and "To Make You Feel My Love". QUESTION: Do you think Dylan was worried about Top 40 hits and record sales at that stage in his career? I think not. Dylan's status as a legend had already been established. Similar examples include Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" and Tom Petty's "Wildflowers" (both produced by Rick Rubin). These men were making the greatest music of their careers as older artists who cared little about "record sales".

Thus, back to Fleetwood Mac. For anyone in this group to care about record sales and Top 40 hits at 70 years old is DEMEANING! It's beneath them to strive for huge record sales that will never come. They are millionaires many times over and can still fill arenas rehashing their old dinosaur hits. If they care ANYTHING about their artistic legacy and leaving behind some sense of respect, they will immediately set about making a serious, layered, artistic record with a groundbreaking studio producer.
Yes, they need to think about their overall legacy. Sadly I often think Stevie feels like she's made her legacy, and somehow that legacy will be tainted if she does things that don't sell in the same numbers. Very short-term thinking. Right now the historical perspective will be on albums, because concerts live on in the minds of those who attended, and in published reviews, but really it's the albums that people in the future will have access to to try and understand why someone was so popular "back in the day". I for instance can't fully understand how crazy Sinatra fever was back in the day and the girls screaming at his concerts etc but I can listen to his records and understand what his amazing talent was, and then from there imagine why people went nuts to see him live. A big part of Stevie's legacy, and one she put a LOT of energy into, is her visual image. She's spent gazillions of hours in front of mirrors perfecting poses and outfits and makeup etc.... I'd like her now to put a lot of that energy into songs. In her early days, the songs got more of her energy.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=secret love;1219906]Who does she think she is? Well, Stevie Nicks, of course, but does that justify the hubris of statements like (paraphrasing) "No one buys new music, we should just focus on touring"

It's simple. She is a musician with an opinion about the industry. Just like you are a listener with an opinion about her.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie made millions when the Dixie Chicks version of "Landslide" was a huge hit. Writers of songs make more money than singers that don't write their own music.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
Stevie made millions when the Dixie Chicks version of "Landslide" was a huge hit. Writers of songs make more money than singers that don't write their own music.

Ha. Dixie Chicks. They sure shot themselves in the foot. They’ve been irrelevant ever since they opened their big mouth and insulted the President and alienated their fan base. Serious, have they done anything since 2002 or 2003 when they did that? Stevie mentioned them in her speech the other night and I had totally forgotten about them. I guess that just proves if you want to remain relevant you need to keep creating and touring and not just live off your hit(s).
Old 01-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Umm, the Dixie Chicks had a hugely successful national tour in 2016/2017, garnered lots of media positive attention, and have another album scheduled to be released soon.

Last edited by StevieandChris; 01-28-2018 at 03:43 PM..
Old 01-29-2018, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And won Album of the Year at the Grammys the following year!