User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
When the release was first announced I was sort of flamed here by stating there was not enough "new" or unreleased songs that would make a re-release special. I knew they would never release any live songs without Lindsey. In some strange way, the re-release is about as exciting as the original release in my book. There are definitely some great songs and special moments. However they are way to far between in my book. The Tusk re-release was out of this world with unheard live tracks and different versions of the songs. Mirage was decent but no new live tracks. The HBO concert can only go so far.
One interesting thing about Tango is that its considered to be the Mac's second most successful album (I would question that because the Dance went to #1 and sold just as many copies I believe). However, the album only sold 3 million copies in the United States. In 1987 for an album to have 2 top 5 singles and 2 top 20 singles that is actually poor sales. In the late 80's they changed the way album sales were tabulated and album rankings were also changed. If you remember the Garth Brooks/Motley Crue controversy (if you are too young google it). Tango peaked at #7 which tells you sales were sluggish. Please don't flame me I am not knocking the album or the sales. I am stating that the sales were bleak compared to radio airplay vs other artists. It no doubt was a hit album and a success but it did not attract many new Mac fans. The songs got airplay but people were not flocking to buy the album.
Well the world isn't just the US. From what I've read, Tango also did very well in Europe, particularly the UK.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mirage was decent but no new live tracks. The HBO concert can only go so far.
That is my number one complaint about Mirage. Just putting the HBO concert out was sheer laziness. I mean, I know that it had tons of overdubs, and sounded very polished, but I was VERY disappointed that they couldn't give us an ACTUAL live show(NOT a bunch of overdubs - which HBO is).
Old 04-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That is my number one complaint about Mirage. Just putting the HBO concert out was sheer laziness. I mean, I know that it had tons of overdubs, and sounded very polished, but I was VERY disappointed that they couldn't give us an ACTUAL live show(NOT a bunch of overdubs - which HBO is).

I agree, I was very disappointed we didn't get the full 1982 set on deluxe Mirage. Some of the performances they put on the deluxe Tusk were not that great either. They should have used better live performances on Tusk deluxe, full 1982 set on Mirage deluxe.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Well the world isn't just the US. From what I've read, Tango also did very well in Europe, particularly the UK.
That was NOT what I said. I made no comparisons to other countries and never implied the United States is the rest of the world. YES, Tango did extremely well in the UK and sold almost as many copies there as the United States. However the sales make sense there because there were hit singles. I was pointing out the sales did not back the radio and MTV play in the United States.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
I agree, I was very disappointed we didn't get the full 1982 set on deluxe Mirage. Some of the performances they put on the deluxe Tusk were not that great either. They should have used better live performances on Tusk deluxe, full 1982 set on Mirage deluxe.
I wanted an actual LIVE show. Watch the Mirage DVD, and almost all the guitar solos have been replaced. His hands don't match what's being played! I want to hear the real thing, warts and all...
Old 04-06-2017, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That was NOT what I said. I made no comparisons to other countries and never implied the United States is the rest of the world. YES, Tango did extremely well in the UK and sold almost as many copies there as the United States. However the sales make sense there because there were hit singles. I was pointing out the sales did not back the radio and MTV play in the United States.
I know, but then odds are the reason it's regarded as their second most successful album is because of the success it had over there.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When the release was first announced I was sort of flamed here by stating there was not enough "new" or unreleased songs that would make a re-release special. I knew they would never release any live songs without Lindsey. In some strange way, the re-release is about as exciting as the original release in my book. There are definitely some great songs and special moments. However they are way to far between in my book. The Tusk re-release was out of this world with unheard live tracks and different versions of the songs. Mirage was decent but no new live tracks. The HBO concert can only go so far.
One interesting thing about Tango is that its considered to be the Mac's second most successful album (I would question that because the Dance went to #1 and sold just as many copies I believe). However, the album only sold 3 million copies in the United States. In 1987 for an album to have 2 top 5 singles and 2 top 20 singles that is actually poor sales. In the late 80's they changed the way album sales were tabulated and album rankings were also changed. If you remember the Garth Brooks/Motley Crue controversy (if you are too young google it). Tango peaked at #7 which tells you sales were sluggish. Please don't flame me I am not knocking the album or the sales. I am stating that the sales were bleak compared to radio airplay vs other artists. It no doubt was a hit album and a success but it did not attract many new Mac fans. The songs got airplay and intense heavy play on MTV but people were not flocking to buy the album. It only sold just over 2 million copies in the late 80s and took until the year 2000 for it to be certified 3x platinum.
It's sold 15 million copies worldwide, and spent seven months in the top 20.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I wanted an actual LIVE show. Watch the Mirage DVD, and almost all the guitar solos have been replaced. His hands don't match what's being played! I want to hear the real thing, warts and all...
On the dance you clearly hear Stevie singing with herself MANY times.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
It's sold 15 million copies worldwide, and spent seven months in the top 20.
***Bangs head against the wall****
You missed my point too. Get out of the cocoon of that you think I am saying the album was not a success. Don't be so defensive. In the late 80s some albums sold 4-5 million copies in the USA with one top ten hit sometimes. 2 million for the heavy MTV play and the number of hits the album had was extremely weak. And that is not even counting the buzz that came with the album being the first Mac album in half a decade.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-06-2017 at 06:39 PM..
Old 04-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to disagree about the comments that Tango was not that successful in the US. It was. There were 4 major Top 20 singles that were extremely popular and the album spent more than seven months within the Top 20 and ten months within the Top 40 so the fact that it only peaked at #7 is irrelevant. Look at the Greatest Hits album. That only peaked at #14 and that's coming up to 10 million sales now.

Because of the string of hit singles the album sold steadily and not all at once like Mirage did. That album sold lots of copies in the space of about four months and then it completely dropped off the radar. That album spent five weeks at #1 and yet it didn't sell as much as Tango. There you have it.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, the 3 videos that were released from Tango got a ton of airplay on MTV and VH1, plus other video shows that were all the rage in 1987. You couldn't turn on MTV without seeing those Fleetwood Mac videos. Mirage had two big singles, but Love in Store was not played on the radio nearly as much as the 4 singles from Tango.

Mirage came and went, but Tango had a surprising amount of staying power.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, as far as I know, Tango was a very popular album that did quite well and a several of its songs are still pretty popular. Maybe it was a slower burn, but it was very successful in the end. I think it's one of the most popular albums from the 80s.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Demos, Alternates & B-Sides

I got my Box set today. I'm loving disc 2 it's great to have all these in quality sound. This is such a great collection for us fans. The liner notes are right on point about Stevie's "involvement" with this release. The b-sides sound so so great. It makes me so excited for the Buck/McVie album. Down Endless Street, Ricky are sounding better than ever. You and I .....love it! Im thrilled with these box set releases but I want the 1975 album and all the pre Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac albums too............Tommorow night the DVD disc.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I got my Box set today. I'm loving disc 2 it's great to have all these in quality sound. This is such a great collection for us fans. The liner notes are right on point about Stevie's "involvement" with this release. The b-sides sound so so great. It makes me so excited for the Buck/McVie album. Down Endless Street, Ricky are sounding better than ever. You and I .....love it! Im thrilled with these box set releases but I want the 1975 album and all the pre Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac albums too............Tommorow night the DVD disc.
Can you PLEAAAASE can scan the liner notes? Or take a picture of them so we can read it? Pleaseee, I love reading those things.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
***Bangs head against the wall****
You missed my point too. Get out of the cocoon of that you think I am saying the album was not a success. Don't be so defensive.
I'm not in a cocoon or being defensive. I was thirteen in 1987. I bought TITN in August of that year (although I had been paying attention since the debut of the "Big Love" video). It was all over the radio and MTV/VH-1. "Little Lies" topped MTV's Top-20 show twice.

THE Stephen Hopkins