Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mr Scarrott meets Mr Fleetwood, and Why

I’m in such a good mood. I’m standing in a queue in Waterstone’s in London’s Piccadilly clutching Mick Fleetwood’s autobiography. I’ve been having a wonderful chat with three other fans that has continued from when we had stood outside, occasionally caught in the rain. One prefers the Peter Green incarnation of Mick’s band and we good-humouredly traded lyrics from Green Manalishi as bemused shoppers walked by. Another had discovered the band through being a former neighbour of original bassist Bob Brunning- we talk fondly of Long Grey Mare and sadly of his decline. A fourth, who professes her love for Lindsey Buckingham and who denounces his former replacements Rick Vito and Billy Burnette as “imposters” has met Mick before and tells me he is the most charming man.

I can easily believe this. Fleetwood is genial, in great humour and exudes a certain serenity. He certainly knows how to work a crowd. In full Big Friendly Dandy Giant mode, he chats to each of the punters amiably and swiftly abandons the advertised no posed photographs rule as I-phones click happily away. Perhaps he simply wanted to avoid Stevie Nickses of all ages, shapes and genders trying to recreate the pose from that album cover. I don’t blame him for this…

My turn comes sooner than I realise. A bookseller silently takes my copy and places it on the table. Mick starts signing the title page and I move towards him. A look in his eye signals that he realises that I have suddenly had a fit of nerves. I have never met anyone this famous, and here I am, next to a man who has been at the heart of an endlessly regenerating band that I love like no other. I forget the planned courtesies, there’s no “Hi Mick,” or “Great to meet you,” or “Your Fleetwoodness, I am so honoured”.

Mick places his left palm atop my right hand. It’s a natural, warm, kind gesture; he’s used to the tongue-tied, the temporary idiots that we are all capable of becoming. I am going to have to make this question count. I had thought of asking about Danny Kirwan whose musical beauty entrances me and whose fate worries me endlessly. No, I decide, there may not be any news about him and I don’t want to darken the atmosphere with memories of unpleasant firings and a Les Paul shattered against the wall. I decide on a different tack.

“Is there any chance,” a tiny voice finally struggles from my throat “that you might play Why from Mystery to Me again?”

Fleetwood is momentarily startled. Seated on a stool, his lithe frame suddenly seems to spiral alarmingly towards the ceiling as if trapped in some Alice in Wonderland fantasy as I become a confused white rabbit by his side.

His eyes pop. They really do.

“You know, Christine was listening to that song just the other day,” he says in that wonderful soft, mellow tone of his, “she said that was a song that never got anywhere.”

My confidence rises. I’m chatting to Mick Fleetwood about one of the great lost, haunting songs of the Seventies. This is going better than I had dared hope. I almost feel as if the Songbird herself has walked into the room as well. “It’s such a beautiful track,” I venture and suddenly the drummer is transported back forty-one years as he fondly recalls the percussion, the strings, the production of the number - I momentarily think about mentioning Bob Weston’s astonishing guitar work, but decide against it. No, Scarrott, best not mention Bob Weston, even now.

“You know,” I carry on, “there’s a great video on Youtube of you doing the song with Stevie and Lindsey in 1975 or so- the harmonies are beautiful” before I add a little superfluously “after Bob Welch left.” I mentally kick myself- I know that Mick may be entitled to get his chronology mixed up every so often, but I’m reasonably certain that he remembers the personnel change at Fleetwood Mac’s defining moment in history.

“Is there? Wow!” he exclaims, looking straight ahead, incredulously as I realise the old adage that fans often know more about an artist’s career than they themselves might not be so wide of the mark after all. “You know, one of these days we should go and do some more of those songs from way back when.”

I furiously nod my agreement. “Maybe you could do it for your 50th anniversary?” I’m having a great time. I’m planning Fleetwood Mac’s sunset years with its one original member and all Mick has to do is convince Lindsey to sing Hypnotised, Closing My Eyes and Woman of a Thousand Years. He can get Stevie to do Green Manalishi. John will love it!

The dream melts from my grasp. We both sense that my time is up. He motions for a photograph. My camera had died whilst photographing the poppies at the Tower of London earlier in the day and one of my fellow punters lends me her phone for the task with the promise she’ll email the results to me. I pray she won’t forget.

“Thanks, Mick,” I say in parting. “Thanks for keeping the band going.”

“Enjoy the book!” I hear as I slip away.

The most charming man. She wasn’t wrong.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 11-09-2014 at 09:26 AM..
Old 11-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah, a lovely story. He certainly has a degree of charisma about him.
'A song that never got anywhere'... I wonder if he and Christine are aware of just how much esteem its held in by fans. Hope you get your pic!
Old 11-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wonderful story and you really made me laugh when you said best not to mention Weston, even now.

Too bad Jenny couldn't write a song about it, that could plague him for decades.

Michele
Old 11-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing. And I had a chuckle at "your fleetwoodness"
Old 11-10-2014, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for your lovely comments. I had almost as much fun writing my post as I did meeting the man himself. It'll be a really great memory to have.

I'm not holding out much hope that Why will ever make it back into the set but I've done what I can to plant the seed of the thought! It really could be Christine's Silver Springs, but I'm biased. I guess we folks on the Ledge have to accept that we're not bread-and-butter audience for the band and they know their market, but hey, guys, give it a go!

I'm still waiting and hoping for my photo! If you're out there, don't let me down!

Cheers

Mr Scarrott
Old 11-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Thank you so much for sharing. What a great story!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
Thank you for your lovely comments. I had almost as much fun writing my post as I did meeting the man himself. It'll be a really great memory to have.

I'm not holding out much hope that Why will ever make it back into the set but I've done what I can to plant the seed of the thought! It really could be Christine's Silver Springs, but I'm biased. I guess we folks on the Ledge have to accept that we're not bread-and-butter audience for the band and they know their market, but hey, guys, give it a go!

I'm still waiting and hoping for my photo! If you're out there, don't let me down!

Cheers

Mr Scarrott
Great Story! Why is one of my favorites songs of Christine. I hope we hear it live someday! Love the Mystery to me album also.
And all those races that are run
They cause patterns"
Old 11-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When it all comes crashing to the end...who is going to buy their albums? WE ARE! I don't understand bands like Fleetwood Mac that cater to the "oblivious occasional fan" and snub us "hard cores" like Ginger step children.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
When it all comes crashing to the end...who is going to buy their albums? WE ARE! I don't understand bands like Fleetwood Mac that cater to the "oblivious occasional fan" and snub us "hard cores" like Ginger step children.
Oh, I'm prepared to be quite sanguine about it all. Things annoy me: the dysfunctionality, the wasted years outnumbering the productive ones, the occasional lapse in taste, the machine sometimes obscuring the creative arc. Some of us are devoted and maybe deluded, but it's still worth it.

And I still believe there's ample scope for and the ability to produce a couple of great closing albums before journey's end.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love it when Ledgies share their special experiences like this. It gives all of us the chance to live vicariously through you.
Thank you for your interesting experience that is captured so vividly here. You should write for a living, you are very good!
Old 11-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, not only a good story, but an exquise written one. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
I love it when Ledgies share their special experiences like this. It gives all of us the chance to live vicariously through you.
Thank you for your interesting experience that is captured so vividly here. You should write for a living, you are very good!
Thank you very much! I used to write a blog that had a tiny but appreciative audience, but I've never had any ambitions about doing anything professionally. Another vocation missed...

Perhaps we could run some sort of creative writing competition on the Ledge, rooted in reality rather than fiction, on any Mac-related topic that takes our fancy. Would anyone be interested in that, I wonder?

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 11-12-2014 at 11:35 AM..
Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post

Perhaps we could run some sort of creative writing competition on the Ledge, rooted in reality rather than fiction, on any Mac-related topic that takes our fancy. Would anyone be interested in that, I wonder?
That sounds like a wonderful idea. It can be a powerful outlet. Of course, it can be an albatross, so to speak, too. I blog tv shows and the obligation of doing it puts me off of wanting to watch them sometimes. Michele
Old 11-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just to finish off the story, I'm very happy to have received my photo. Many thanks to Ruby and to whoever who took the photo! Whatever diet Mick's on, I might need to go on it...

https://twitter.com/MrScarrott/statu...942784/photo/1
Old 11-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What a pleasurable read. Thank you. I'll bet the man of honor himself would love to read it.