Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-12-2000, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

I've been a Mac fan for a long time(mainly the Lindsey/Stevie lineup)and I do have most of the "old" FM albums. But recently I have found myself liking the blues more and in particular Peter Green.

I don't have any solo stuff(except for the few songs I've gotten off Napster) or any of his Splinter Group releases. So could someone make any recommendations?

Oh by the way I do have "Rattlesnake Guitar"(a tribute to Peter's music)and think the artists do a great job on it.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 08-18-2000, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Hi Joe.
If you like the blues side of Peter's playing,then you must get the 6 cds Boxset"The Complete Blue Horizon Recordings".
This really features every single recording the Mac did for Mike Vernon's label.
As for the other side of Peter, the "acidjam" one,then you probably would like both "Then Play On" and the "Boston Boxset" (3 cds live in Boston back in Febraury 1970.
As far as I'm concerned the best Peter solo works are "The End Of The Game" and "In The Skies".
For the Splinter Group stuff,again if you like the blues,then try to get both "Robert Johnsonn Songbook" and "Hotfoot Powder".
If you like the best the pop side of the band, then get "Destiny Road", the Japan pressing has two very good bonus tracks.
Cheers,
Mario.
Old 08-18-2000, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Thanks for the advice Mario; can't wait to check all the Peter Green stuff out. The only one I do have of the ones you mentioned is "Then Play On"(killer).

Joe
Old 03-29-2001, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Better late than never

Joe,

Mario made some great suggestions; I have a couple to add as well.

Fleetwood Mac's BBC Sessions

The Vaudeville Years 2-disc set (which has alot of outtakes and full versions of tunes from "Then Play On"...such as the full 16+ minute version of "Underway", which is only about 3 minutes on TPO)

I'm looking forward to the new "Show Biz Blues" set (which I think is the actual title of the long-awaited Vaudeville Years Volume 2 set)

Although I think "End Of The Game" is a great album, its definitely an "acquired taste" in Peter's playing. Its not very accessible (maybe because after all these years, I'm finally hearing it with "sober" ears...if you know what I mean... )

I HIGHLY recommend ALL of the Splinter Group material. You can really hear the rebirth of his playing from the first album to "Destiny Road". I can't wait to hear what's NEXT from Peter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peter green now.jpg (41.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-30-2001, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default what took you so long..

to answer the man's question?

Chili D... it's been a while since I've seen your name on the Ledge.. but I'll admit it was a nice surprise...

I hope you are doing well. I've been listening to the new Stevie album, and i'm loving it.. what can I say?

anyways,, it was kinda of nice to see a familiar name..

take care,

Keith :-)
Old 03-30-2001, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Surprise!

This kind of took me by surprise when I opened this topic and I saw that I had started it.... like 7 months ago!! Too funny!!

Anyway, as an update to my acquisitions since THEN...

Destiny Road
Live At The BBC

Both are great cds and would recommend them to ANY FM fan.

The 16+ minute version of "Underway" sounds real inviting. Thanks for the tip!

Like Keith, I'm into new Stevie right now, but....

Let me say this; my respect for Peter Green has grown quite a bit over the last several years with my re- "discovery" of his music. No one plays quite like Greeny does. Such an integral part of Fleetwood Mac and their rich history.

I really do love his music! Long live the Green God!!

Joe

Last edited by jwd; 03-30-2001 at 11:53 AM..
Old 03-30-2001, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Excellent choice, Joe... Live At The BBC didn't leave my CD player for months after I bought it.
I enjoy quite a lot of Peter's (and The Mac's) blues tunes, but I've noticed I tend to enjoy more the stuff that's a little more varied than the traditional blues. IE: Then Play On, "The Green Manalishi," "Need Your Love So Bad," "Man Of The World," etc.
And, as hard as I try, i've still never been able to take more than limited doses of Jeremy's music.
Blasphemous, I know!

Well, anyway, glad that you're enjoying your purchases!

Johnny Stew

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 03-30-2001 at 01:28 PM..
Old 03-31-2001, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Johnny Stew,

I know what you're saying about the BBC cd. I played it for quite a while too. It's just that right now I'm caught up in this "Stevie whirlwind" of new music. I'm sure I'll gravitate back to Greeny and the blues sooner or later, as all great music makes you do!

Joe
Old 07-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

whoow this is an old thread!!!

But to me it is new as i haven't read it before
I See myself listening more and more to the blues side of the band too.
I already had everything from kiln house up to the dance and al the buckingham,nicks ans mcvie solo stuff.
I bought the blue horizon box about 6 months ago and last week i bought Then play on and i got mick's book My 25 years in fleetwood Mac so i've heard and read allot of the old history of the band and learned stuff i didn't fully know yet Very Exitings Stuff.
I was planing to buy The boston box too but i think the box is impossible to find so i wil get the 3 seperate discs and reading this thread i must check out vauderville and bbc too
Thanx for starting this tread JWD (eventhough it has been a while back LOL)
Old 07-18-2002, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking My pleasure Marc

It was kind of fun to reread it myself!!

Thanks again for the tips everyone and no its never too late to start lovin' the blues and in particular the music of Peter Green!

I was just playing Destiny Road last week. One of the coolest songs I've ever heard is one called "Burglar"(the mood of the music fits the title perfectly)...check it out.

Joe
Old 07-19-2002, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, NOW you HAVE to get "Time Traders"...I never thought they could top "Destiny Road", but they did...BIG TIME!

Until The Well Runs Dry
Real World
Running After You
Shadow On My Door
Lies
Temptation
Downsize Blues
Feeling Good
Time Keeps Slipping Away
Wild Dogs
Home
Underway
Uganda Woman

Just one good song after another for the entire album!!!

"Real World" & "Wild Dogs" are the type of songs that you can't just listen to once...as soon as the song's over, you have to play it again...then again...then again...it's kind of tough to get to the next song.
Old 07-20-2002, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Hello Chili,

I couldn't agree more!

"Wild Dogs"is a special song for me.......almost just they were two different songs .........with that second part, the guitar part......
fantastic!

It's a Nigel Watson composition, but to me in some way, I'm sure Peter gave some special input to it, especially the second part, those dreaming and melodic guitars.

And......they are already working on a new album and this from a very credible source.

Stay Green

Mario.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Post Time Traders

I really like it a lot. The more I listen to it the more it grows on me. Takes a few spins to really APPRECIATE good music. I think it has more of a blues sound than Destiny Road(the only Green/Splinter Group I can compare it to). I'm not sure if I like it better...yet. It really depends upon the mood I'd be in...pop versus blues. Peter has this voice just so well suited for the blues...well rock and pop too! Anyway thanks for the recommendation and I'll be getting "In The Skies" next.

Joe
Old 08-15-2002, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i love those songs too.
My favorite of peter green's splinter group must be "real world blues. Infact when i went in to the store i bought the time traders album without listening too it first. And was planning to pick up destiny road on a later date. but when i was 20 meters away from the store where i had purchased it and had it on my discman , i loved it so much that i went back and bought Destiny road aswell LOL
Old 08-15-2002, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've heard most of the "Blues Don't Change" CD (the one that's only available at gigs or through their website)...another damn fine Splinter Group album, as well. Although, I think my own copy that is on order has been backordered, since I read that they've run out of stock for now. I'm hoping that it won't be too long before they restock and start shipping again. The credit card has already been billed.

Peter's take on the Jimmy Reed classic "Take Out Some Insurance" is the real highlight.