The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Who are you routing for to win the lawsuit?
I’m routing for Lindsey to win. 110 88.71%
I’m routing for Fleetwood Mac to win. 14 11.29%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2018, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
I was responding to folks on this forum saying that Lindsey was the talent of Fleetwood Mac and that's preposterous. By any standard, Lindsey Buckingham's solo career has been a near bust. He's had a few isolated good songs but that's about it. Listening to his Anthology reinforced that in my mind. Lindsey's talent is as a producer and arranger and guitarist but not as a songwriter. That's why his solo career never went anywhere despite being the "leader" of one of the biggest bands in the world. He's reliant on other songwriters to bring him the songs. That's why he was so much more successful in Fleetwood Mac ... because he had Christine and Stevie to write the songs and he would arrange and produce them until they sparkled. That's his gift. However, for folks on this forum to say that Lindsey was the talent of the band is so far from the truth it's pathetic. He was the production talent but Christine and Stevie were the songwriting talents. They needed each other. And that's why Stevie had a much more successful solo career than Lindsey. It's easier to find a producer once you have the great songs. It's much more difficult to write the songs if you're a great producer/arranger like Lindsey. That's why Stevie has sold about 11 million albums in her solo career and Lindsey nowhere close to that.
WRONG mick. Of course they all had talents but LB had it all. GREAT songwriter , great producer and great performer. Mick shouldnt you be counting your money somewhere?
Old 10-20-2018, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniette View Post
Lindsey does have the largest influence on their sound, in terms of production, arrangement, etc. You even seem to concede that point, so you're saying his songwriting ability is lacking? That's completely subjective, but to say Stevie is a great songwriter is pathetic. She has written some absolutely atrocious lyrics, and requires way too much assistance in the music department.

For example, "Stand Back" is really not a very good song at all. It was successful because Stevie was catering to the sound of the times, with Prince allegedly coming up with the synth line. By her own admittance, she was trying to write a song like "Little Red Corvette" (and she nicked the Police for the riff to EOS). I think that's really the reason she was more successful at the end of the day, because her music was trying to fit in with the sound of the times.

But for you to claim that Lindsey is an inferior songwriter is ridiculous. He never blatantly chased eighties success like Stevie, which might partly explain his lack of success. His music is a little more esoteric as well.

I love Stevie's work at her best, probably more than Lindsey at his best, but her solo career taken as a whole is pretty spotty. Personally, I think Lindsey's solo career holds up better, and I'm comparing the actual music not album sales. All 6 of his albums are good to great, but she's got some real duds. And his latest work is far better than her latest stuff. And he doesn't need someone else to write the music, produce, arrange, and play all the instruments.
Thank you! Stevie may have been a decent lyric writer, FORTY YEARS AGO, but please don't confuse the dolt with a musician, composer, or producer. Lindsey wears ALL of those hats.

She was fitting into the times, in the 80's, and did very well out of the gate. Her first two albums established her. Then her songwriting, singing, production, and drug consumption took her straight into the sh*tter.

Lindsey is a perfectly fine songwriter. Just because he doesn't pray to "the commercial gods" like some other idiot, doesn't make his work any less valuable. Perhaps it's more valuable, for anyone who can think outside of pure sales(which is what 90% of $tevie fans tend to do).

FM would have died 30 years ago, if it weren't for Lindsey's vision. Anyone who doesn't agree is an idiot.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
WRONG mick. Of course they all had talents but LB had it all. GREAT songwriter , great producer and great performer. Mick shouldnt you be counting your money somewhere?
I wonder what kind of cut Mick gets for doing all this promo work here?

Hopefully some extra brain cells and a SPINE. Since he apparently lost his in a farm(goat) accident.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I don't think that's at all why his solo career never took off lol. Lindsey's written plenty of great songs on his own and his stuff got the critical praise that came from that. But the thing is that especially when it came to his solo career, he liked making (for lack of a better word) 'weird' music. He had very different tastes in terms of sounds and production and it just wasn't the type of thing that really appealed to a lot of people. If it was because he doesn't actually write good songs, his stuff would not have half the praise it's gotten. But it just requires a certain taste to appreciate. Stevie sold tons of albums because she wrote great songs (at least on her first 2 solo albums that is) that were also produced in a very radio-friendly, appeals to the masses way. She was also very popular just in her own 'entity' as Stevie Nicks and that played a big part in it.
I think this is pretty spot on, dreamsunwind. I agree that Lindsey's sounds and productions don't always have mass appeal, and would add that sometimes his style can even turn people off. His music style kind of reminds me of David Lynch- incredibly well made but not made for everybody.

Also, I've noticed what seems to be a criticism about Stevie that I take to be one of her strengths- her willingness to work with other people and to record songs written by other people. As opposed to Lindsey, who is seemingly less willing to work with other people or record songs written by other people. I have often felt that Lindsey has shortchanged himself by choosing to isolate himself, musically. I know he's written some songs that were recorded by other artists, and produced other people, but I've always thought it would be interesting to see a couple of his songs produced by someone else.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

As far as songwriting goes,
Lindsey has simply gotten better with age, like a fine cheese.
Stevie, on the other hand, has apparently soured and gone off.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I think this is pretty spot on, dreamsunwind. I agree that Lindsey's sounds and productions don't always have mass appeal, and would add that sometimes his style can even turn people off. His music style kind of reminds me of David Lynch- incredibly well made but not made for everybody.

Also, I've noticed what seems to be a criticism about Stevie that I take to be one of her strengths- her willingness to work with other people and to record songs written by other people. As opposed to Lindsey, who is seemingly less willing to work with other people or record songs written by other people. I have often felt that Lindsey has shortchanged himself by choosing to isolate himself, musically. I know he's written some songs that were recorded by other artists, and produced other people, but I've always thought it would be interesting to see a couple of his songs produced by someone else.
Lindsey clearly likes to write things himself to his own vision, but almost all of his albums include a cover. L&O has 3, OOTC has 2, UTS has 2 and SWS has 1. Plus there are some unrelease Rolling Stones covers meant for the original version of GOS.

As for Lindsey's writing, I think it is the best of the three for my personal taste. Sometimes the song itself is bare-bones but still is interesting within the track. But even Lindsey does consider himself a "stylist" (or something to that effect) more than a writer. His work is a composite of all aspects from recording, writing and production to create a single work. Each element is integral to the whole. That's something Stevie would never do and wouldn't be right for the kind of artist she is. Nothing wrong with either approach, though I much prefer Lindsey's.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:02 AM
Registered

Stevie needs to cover the songs of other people because she now can't write a decent song on her own
Old 10-20-2018, 09:50 AM
Registered

Quote:
I was responding to folks on this forum saying that Lindsey was the talent of Fleetwood Mac and that's preposterous. By any standard, Lindsey Buckingham's solo career has been a near bust. He's had a few isolated good songs but that's about it. Listening to his Anthology reinforced that in my mind. Lindsey's talent is as a producer and arranger and guitarist but not as a songwriter. That's why his solo career never went anywhere despite being the "leader" of one of the biggest bands in the world. He's reliant on other songwriters to bring him the songs. That's why he was so much more successful in Fleetwood Mac ... because he had Christine and Stevie to write the songs and he would arrange and produce them until they sparkled. That's his gift. However, for folks on this forum to say that Lindsey was the talent of the band is so far from the truth it's pathetic. He was the production talent but Christine and Stevie were the songwriting talents. They needed each other. And that's why Stevie had a much more successful solo career than Lindsey. It's easier to find a producer once you have the great songs. It's much more difficult to write the songs if you're a great producer/arranger like Lindsey. That's why Stevie has sold about 11 million albums in her solo career and Lindsey nowhere close to that.
Stevie has sold more albums than Lindsey frankly because there is a very large number of people out there who think twirling, frequent shawl changing, ad lib screaming, talking nonstop in between songs, or meaningless evocation of words in songs like "angel" (Angel, Sleeping Angel, Desert Angel, etc.), "child", "gypsy,", "dreams," is music. Well it is not. In a way watching her is riveting performance art, and she does know how to put on a persona, but that's it--a persona, a very hollow, insubstantial one at that. Whereas to appreciate Lindsey one has to actually know something about music, and not many people nowadays have the musical training, or the taste, to do so.

Even for an alleged masterpiece [sic] like Bella Donna, one has to disconnect oneself from reality and enter her very strange mental universe--even then she was solipsistic and self-absorbed. The songs have reference only to her feelings, and nothing else. The world does not need to exist in her songs. Dreams indeed.

Last edited by NotonRodeo; 10-20-2018 at 09:54 AM..
Old 10-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
Stevie has sold more albums than Lindsey frankly because there is a very large number of people out there who think twirling, frequent shawl changing, ad lib screaming, talking nonstop in between songs, or meaningless evocation of words in songs like "angel" (Angel, Sleeping Angel, Desert Angel, etc.), "child", "gypsy,", "dreams," is music.
I do think Lindsey would be more commercially viable if he would twirl more
Old 10-20-2018, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I do think Lindsey would be more commercially viable if he would twirl more
Neil Finn does a lot of twirling, so I see. Stevie's been choreographing with him.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-20-2018, 10:33 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Neil Finn does a lot of twirling, so I see. Stevie's been choreographing with him.
I shudder at the thought of him bringing out a cape and twirling the next time he sings Fall at Your Feet or Better Be Home Soon at his own shows.

Heh, he can sing Six Months in a Leaky Boat about his experiences with Fleetwood Mac

Last edited by NotonRodeo; 10-20-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Old 10-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Go on easy on our esteemed friend Sugar Mouse--he is only throwing undue shade at Lindsey's solo career because he's bitter that his thread in the Present Band forum celebrating Neil Finn's solo career sunk like a stone.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If Lindsey is the "talent of the band", then why has his solo career been so unsuccessful?
Your idea is that talent is a function of commercial success? Talent is directly proportional to sales?

So if you look at the list of the biggest movie box office grossers in Variety, that's your list of the best movies ever made? Isn't that really your approach taken to its logical conclusion?

Rihanna has sold multimillions more than Fleetwood Mac. By your account, is she therefore the greater artist?

Paul Westerberg never sold multimillions, but I've never known anyone who didn't think he was a hell of a songwriter.

Sales in any popular art is a dubious criterion of quality (leaving aside for the moment that the measure of quality in any art is subjective).

P.S. I love Rihanna!
P.P.S. Almost everyone in Fleetwood Mac over the decades seems to have had different talents. Many were great instrumentalists, a few were great vocalists, several were great songwriters, a few were envelope pushers and audience challengers, some were good at looking good (which is important in rock), and one was a great drummer.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 10-20-2018 at 12:32 PM..
Old 10-20-2018, 01:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
Stevie has sold more albums than Lindsey frankly because there is a very large number of people out there who think twirling, frequent shawl changing, ad lib screaming, talking nonstop in between songs, or meaningless evocation of words in songs like "angel" (Angel, Sleeping Angel, Desert Angel, etc.), "child", "gypsy,", "dreams," is music. Well it is not. In a way watching her is riveting performance art, and she does know how to put on a persona, but that's it--a persona, a very hollow, insubstantial one at that. Whereas to appreciate Lindsey one has to actually know something about music, and not many people nowadays have the musical training, or the taste, to do so.

Even for an alleged masterpiece [sic] like Bella Donna, one has to disconnect oneself from reality and enter her very strange mental universe--even then she was solipsistic and self-absorbed. The songs have reference only to her feelings, and nothing else. The world does not need to exist in her songs. Dreams indeed.
What a huge massive stinking load of BS.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
We're voting for justice, not winners.
Then maybe you want to hear both sides of the story first?