Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What Kind of Singer Are You?

I inquire because I just tried kareoke (sp?) Enough said, right? Of course not. I won't disgrace Go Your Own Way, so I tried that song Just What I Needed by The Cars, another favorite. I thought it was ok (as there were no high notes to hit ), but of course, with kareoke, hilarity ensues for no reason.....

Sorry for the story

Anyways, what do YOU think of your singing voice?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like my singing voice.

I took lessons for years and did musicals in college. Tried out for a part at the Williamstown Festival one year and didn't get it (I did get to be a stagehand in '99, though! ), but the casting director gave me some very nice compliments and I still appreciate having heard them. That's my true passion, though, performing. But I knew I could never succeed so I never really pursued it much.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a really sucky singer, can't carry a tune at all. That doesn't stop me from doing karaoke after a few beers, though Not that I'm at karaoke very often, but if I am, then Dreams, American Pie and Paradise by the Dashboard Light are my usuals.

Paula
Old 12-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nasally.

I have a deep speaking voice, but when I sing it's a high-pitch.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:42 PM
takenbythesky
This message has been deleted by takenbythesky.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My voice sounds like I have snot in my throat. It sounds decent, though. lol

I did participate in choir in high school and was chosen for All-State. I was a bass/tenor. I haven't sang "professionally" in years. I just tend to belt it out in the shower and the car.....oh, and at concerts.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by takenbythesky
I think my singing voice is pretty ugly. Very deep and masculine, vibratto, without much range. According to my friend who was in a prestigious choir for years, I'm a tenor who can actually sing on key. I was in musicals in middle school until health problems prevented me from doing so.

...The problem isn't so much the quality of my singing, it's GETTING ME TO SHUT UP!
-Justin
Christ, I love your signature.

Anyone can sing, it's just a matter of getting to know your voice.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention

Anyone can sing, it's just a matter of getting to know your voice.
Thank you, diss...I bought Welcome To The Wrecking Ball and Dreams on vinyl just based on the covers and the fact that Grace Slick is such an amazing singer with such an eccentric personality...

I suppose that someday, that day when I have the time to take up the piano or the guitar, I will get to know my voice. Now, there was an African American gentleman seated behind me in San Jose...He could really sing! He seemed to be the only other person there who knew the lyrics to every single song, besides me. This guy was so in love with Stevie, too...Kept talking about how beautiful and classy she was.

It really was pretty funny...Stevie's family, seated in front of us, kept looking back at him and laughing. Her brother (Chris?) looked like he was rather bored by the entire thing, though. One of her relatives, looked almost like Lori Nicks to me, looked back at me sympathetically when I cried during "Sara"...And, I know these people were of the Nicks family because the teenage girl in front of us proudly told us so and was calling out "Steeeevieeeeee" constantly.

Best of all: Miss Nicks knew where her family was seated, so several times she shook her tambourine at them and smiled very very warmly. I swear, it looked as if she was looking straight at me, but I know that she was smiling at her family...

My, this turned into rambling fairly quickly. Good times...
-Justin
Old 12-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think you have to be so formal - he goes by Justin

Oy. It's late and I'm emotionally drained....pardon my bad humor.

----------

Anyway I LOVE to sing - and used to do it quite regularly in high school - like in the halls and on band trips (I must have been SO obnoxious and I'm pretty sure if I were to run into high school me now - I'd hate me)

Anyway - once in a speech class I for some reason started singing Spoon Full of Sugar and other various songs from Mary Poppins and Sound of Music - and the class actually started making requests...lol - they said I sounded SO good - that was my shining moment...

Now I don't know what happened after that - but I"ve been unable to sing in public ever since. I completely freeze. I mean I freeze...nothing comes out of my mouth...

When I was in a band we did few covers but I convinced the guitarist to try out the Apartment Song - so he agreed as long as I'd sing with him - I agreed - then at the performance I turned my mic off ---I just couldn't do it in front of people...

SO anyway - if I try really hard my singing voice is alright - but I do have to try very hard to stay on key and such....mostly I just sing loudly and badly to the radio
Old 12-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think I sound reedy, and nasally. I greatly dislike my singing voice. Despite the fact that I used to sing in the school choir, and have gotten some compliments on my singing from various people... but I tend to think people are just being nice.

Mind you, that doesn't stop me one bit, because I LOVE to sing and would rather sing and sound terrible than not sing at all.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I like my singing voice.

I took lessons for years and did musicals in college. Tried out for a part at the Williamstown Festival one year and didn't get it (I did get to be a stagehand in '99, though! ), but the casting director gave me some very nice compliments and I still appreciate having heard them. That's my true passion, though, performing. But I knew I could never succeed so I never really pursued it much.
uh, me, too. Naw, i like my singing voice, and i've taken singing lessons for a few years, and, of course, choir. Of course my belt is better than my "good" singing voice, and i use it loudly and often. But still, i'm a better mimic then a good ear, ie, I can't always bust out a harmony on the first try, but i can definitely learn anything, and eventually manage to come up with some kind of harmony. My favorite songs to sing are stevie, I like her improv yowling the best. But my favorite hard song to sing is probably...Crazy. But, basically, i sing all the time, constantly, and wish i was much better... I'm still heartbroken from the time I tried out for Cabaret, and my singing teacher, who hated me, told the director she didn't think my voice could handle it. My big stage voice is way better than my other voice...I still hate that lady...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 12-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I love your signature.
Isn't it the greatest?? Everytime I see it, it reminds me of my favorite Grace Slick moment: that part in "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now," where she says... in this wickedly insane voice... "Let 'em say we're CRAY-ZAH!"
Old 12-07-2004, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
I don't think you have to be so formal - he goes by Justin
Maybe I'm just tired, but that was hysterical!

Shades of Bill Cosby.... "Damnit, will you get back in here!"
"But Dad, I'm Jesus Christ!"
Old 12-07-2004, 03:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always wanted to try karaoke but never been brave enough! My daughter is getting a karaoke machine for Xmas so I will give it a try!

Pip
Old 12-07-2004, 03:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Mind you, that doesn't stop me one bit, because I LOVE to sing and would rather sing and sound terrible than not sing at all.
You've got the idea, Brian! That's my philosophy too.
Sadly for me (and those who have to endure my "singing"), by the time the option of going to karaoke rears its frightening head, it's late in the night and my voice is already half-gone from trying to talk over loud music.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Isn't it the greatest?? Everytime I see it, it reminds me of my favorite Grace Slick moment: that part in "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now," where she says... in this wickedly insane voice... "Let 'em say we're CRAY-ZAH!"
Mine is, well actually there are two - the first being when she was so "marinated" at a concert in Germany (she really did not like the Germans ) - she sang, I think, "White Rabbit" WAY off key and in the middle of the song sat down on the stage and started to remind the crowd that "WE WON THE WAR!!!"

The second is when she hauled out down her driveway a few years ago with a shotgun hunting a phanton menance - can you say FLASHBACK

But, I digress, I have a HUGE stage voice. I also have a pretty and soft harmony voice.

save the cheerleader - save the world