User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Oh FFS, it was just a joke, although this is probably more accurate than not.

Hell, even John was still complaining about Lindsey’s modus operandi in 94-95.

And as loving how? Returning his calls?
Giving him an album dedication, practically making out with him when he appeared at BTM. Christine was standing there stroking his hair and neck.

John said he wanted him to leave the room, not leave the BAND.

And yes returning his calls, too.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Giving him an album dedication, practically making out with him when he appeared at BTM. Christine was standing there stroking his hair and neck.
You mean when it was basically over? Sure, they also weren’t in an especially great place, but neither was he, as he soon learned. He d*cked around too much, and his career suffered.

Quote:
John said he wanted him to leave the room, not leave the BAND.
John told Bass Player magazine in 1994-1995 that he never liked how Lindsey Buckingham told him how to play, not that he played what Lindsey suggested.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I mean they never tried to ignore his contributions to the band and maintained a fairly cordial relationship with them. They showed caring, which is absent now.

I don’t see John’s comments about Lindsey as any big deal. Lindsey complains that John and Mick tried to make him use a pic. There are always complaints, but they should not expand into, say, trying to keep someone off of the Sirius radio channel.

Last edited by michelej1; 04-02-2019 at 09:59 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You mean when it was basically over? Sure, they also weren’t in an especially great place, but neither was he, as he soon learned. He d*cked around too much, and his career suffered.

John told Bass Player magazine in 1994-1995 that he never liked how Lindsey Buckingham told him how to play, not that he played what Lindsey suggested.
LOL oh yea he really messed up by avoiding two stints in rehab and "wasting" his 40s in a drug induced haze. If anything his leave actually helped him.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I mean they never tried to ignore his contributions to the band and maintained a fairly cordial relationship with them. They showed caring, which is absent now.

I don’t see John’s comments about Lindsey as any big deal. Lindsey complains that John and Mick tried to make him use a pic. There are always complaints, but they should not expand into, say, trying to keep someone off of the Sirius radio channel.
There was respect between them. They may not care about each other and they may not keep in touch but the respect as musician and fellow former bandmate was there. Now not only all that is gone but they're purposely trying to put him under a bad light. Why? I have no idea.

Some people will never get it.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yep. We’ll never forget how he called Christine’s and Stevie’s solo shows lounge acts. Meanwhile, HIS first solo show had nine extra musicians and he did seven Fleetwood Mac songs in a seventeen song set. He still did five on his last, at times karaoke tour.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-02-2019, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am not sure why nine musicians in a solo set is bad. I didn’t need the wall of guitars, but I don’t think they detracted from his own musicianship either. They enhanced it. I will never forget how Doing What I Can first came to life for me live, not on the record.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yep. We’ll never forget how he called Christine’s and Stevie’s solo shows lounge acts. Meanwhile, HIS first solo show had nine extra musicians and he did seven Fleetwood Mac songs in a seventeen song set. He still did five on his last, at times karaoke tour.
Steve, If I may have your permission to speak, may I point out they have all had extra musicians as part of their touring bands. Stevie has also had Fleetwood Mac songs in her solo set since 1981.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Steve, If I may have your permission to speak, may I point out they have all had extra musicians as part of their touring bands. Stevie has also had Fleetwood Mac songs in her solo set since 1981.
Nope. Not giving that one to him. His comments have been out of line. He criticized them for doing exactly what he did. Christine only had five extra musicians, did almost all of her album, as well as deep cuts. She was much, much less the “lounge act” even the genius couldn’t escape.

In the 21 years between the end of the “Mirage” tour and SYW, Lindsey only did three studio albums (Go Insane, TITN, and OOTC) and two tours (about 90 shows). In that same time, Stevie did SEVEN studio albums and TEN tours (over 550 shows). Furthermore, in the 23 years between the BTM tour and OWTS, Christine did two studio albums and one tour (47 shows).

While Lindsey was basking in the glow of his own genius, Stevie was busting her ass.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-02-2019, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

oh laaawwd lets play numbers with steve again. LOL I dont even care enough to go down that rabbit hole plus I wouldnt want to be told to "go away" again. LMAO....
Old 04-02-2019, 11:21 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Nope. Not giving that one to him. His comments have been out of line. He criticized them for doing exactly what he did. Christine only had five extra musicians, did almost all of her album, as well as deep cuts. She was much, much less the “lounge act” even the genius couldn’t escape.

In the 21 years between the end of the “Mirage” tour and SYW, Lindsey only did three studio albums (Go Insane, TITN, and OOTC) and two tours (about 90 shows). In that same time, Stevie did SEVEN studio albums and TEN tours (over 550 shows). Furthermore, in the 23 years between the BTM tour and OWTS, Christine did two studio albums and one tour (47 shows).

While Lindsey was basking in the glow of his own genius, Stevie was busting her ass.
Perhaps touring is Stevie's way of basking in the glow of her own genius? She does seem a bit of an adulation addict. And she gets a lot more help in the studio than Lindsey, so how many albums would she truly have solo?

The parameters of your comparison seem a bit arbitrary, as Lindsey has increased his output since then in terms of albums and tours.

They all have points to critique from an artistic standpoint, not sure why Lindsey's are so flagrant to you?

I just don't see what the numbers are supposed to prove? Being prolific isn't always a good thing. Lots of artists release albums at a slower pace, and so what? I know plenty of people that would be better served waiting longer between albums, Stevie among them.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Elton John criticized Billy Joel for not making new albums, his response was "Elton needs to make fewer albums"
Old 04-02-2019, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Good for him? how does the saying go, work smarter not harder?

Last edited by BigAl84; 04-02-2019 at 11:37 PM..
Old 04-02-2019, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Good for him? how does the saying go, work smarter not harder?
Seven studio albums, ten tours and tons of cocaine to get through all that work apparently give you the right to kick someone out of a band, which is my main complaint here. Stevie was always sorrounded by the right people.

And yes, half of those albums suck. Even her fans say it. Work smarter, not harder.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniette View Post
Perhaps touring is Stevie's way of basking in the glow of her own genius? She does seem a bit of an adulation addict.
Whatever. That doesn’t change the fact that when The Genius decided to tour (about a year after His magnum opus/flop came out), He still needed about as many musicians as Stevie.

Quote:
And she gets a lot more help in the studio than Lindsey, so how many albums would she truly have solo?
Well, she still has two more…

Actually, He still has the fewest overall studio releases of any of the classic lineup, or even present lineup, but who am I to judge?

Quote:
The parameters of your comparison seem a bit arbitrary, as Lindsey has increased his output since then in terms of albums and tours.
And yet He’s still in last place.

Quote:
They all have points to critique from an artistic standpoint, not sure why Lindsey's are so flagrant to you?
They never critiqued Him.

Quote:
I just don't see what the numbers are supposed to prove? Being prolific isn't always a good thing. Lots of artists release albums at a slower pace, and so what? I know plenty of people that would be better served waiting longer between albums, Stevie among them.
So, you’re saying that OOTC and the various GOS songs benefited from being sat on for a half decade or more? I mean, Lindsey left in 1987, and OOTC came out five years later. Did those songs age well? Were they remotely relevant in 1992, save for maybe the Starbucks crowd, which wasn’t a thing back then???

Did “Steal Your Heart Away” sound better in 2003 than it did in 1998? Did any of those songs benefit from at least a five year wait?

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 04-02-2019 at 11:54 PM..