The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Ledgie

For better authenticity - if this movie should be made then the filmmakers should be allowed access to all the demos, and through movie magic make it look like the members are cutting them in REAL time (have them lip-synch and stuff).

We'd need to hear the REAL music from Rumours on the soundtrack. Actors are not musicians and to have them recreate it would take away from the verisimilitude. We'd need the real thing.

Maybe on future pressings of the CD have a little sticker on it saying "Now a major film starring..." you know, that kind of deal.

As for the end of the movie (I've alluded to this before) it should be after the album is released we see the band members all in the waiting room of a gig. They can hear the audience outside cheering and they all look at each other and say something like "OK, let's just put it behind us for tonight and go out there and do this". Then we see the curtain rise and they walk out on stage.

Camera cuts to the stage itself but instead of the actors it's the REAL members of Fleetwood Mac - obviously 35 and a bit years older. Then we see them doing a live performance of "The Chain". The audience goes wild and it ends with them taking a bow.

I'd just call the movie Fleetwood Mac: Rumours and the movie poster would be a recreation of the album cover, obviously with the actor playing Mick Fleetwood and the actress playing Stevie Nicks recreating that pose.

I know what you're all thinking. You're thinking "ChickenStu is awesome and they should let him make this". And you know what? You're right!

Last edited by ChickenStu; 01-11-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I disagree with every aspect of your pitch.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Physical resemblance is one of the last things on my list when it comes to casting choices for films like this. I don't get why that's so important to people.
i think it depends on how much you are attached to real people who are portrayed, and what they mean to you. i hated Phoenix as Johnny Cash, because i LOVE real Johnny Cash, and his looks but especially amazing voice is a big part of who his is. Johnny was a large-ish looking man with a deep voice. his voice made who he was for me. Phoenix looked and sounded nothing like him in the movie, he was like some little wuss. so i couldn't make myself to watch that movie for a long time, and hated all the accolades it was getting. then i finally had to detach myself and think of the movie as a whole separate entity, like i'm not watching a movie about Johnny Cash but some other dude with the same life story. then i could enjoy the movie but still HATED the way they did most of the songs. because they sounded nothing like Cash.

so i can imagine i would feel the same about the film that would portray LB as one of main characters and the guy looked and *felt* nothing like him. Bradley Cooper has enough resemblance in both the looks and the vibe. but soon he'll be too old for late 20s Lindsey. and Kate Blanchet would have been perfect Christine but already too old, same with Liam Neeson. and these are all incredible actors, too.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i think it depends on how much you are attached to real people who are portrayed, and what they mean to you. i hated Phoenix as Johnny Cash, because i LOVE real Johnny Cash, and his looks but especially amazing voice is a big part of who his is. Johnny was a large-ish looking man with a deep voice. his voice made who he was for me. Phoenix looked and sounded nothing like him in the movie, he was like some little wuss. so i couldn't make myself to watch that movie for a long time, and hated all the accolades it was getting. then i finally had to detach myself and think of the movie as a whole separate entity, like i'm not watching a movie about Johnny Cash but some other dude with the same life story. then i could enjoy the movie but still HATED the way they did most of the songs. because they sounded nothing like Cash.

so i can imagine i would feel the same about the film that would portray LB as one of main characters and the guy looked and *felt* nothing like him. Bradley Cooper has enough resemblance in both the looks and the vibe. but soon he'll be too old for late 20s Lindsey. and Kate Blanchet would have been perfect Christine but already too old, same with Liam Neeson. and these are all incredible actors, too.
Yes. I think if a filmmaker and actor are skilled, they should be able to take you out of the point of constantly referencing reality. You won't even think about it. You'll just take the movie as it is. But I come from a perspective of not really thinking biopics are ever all that great anyway. And I agree that with some diehard fans, it may never be possible to detach yourself completely from real-life reference points when watching a film like this.

To me, though, it should be like casting any character in a fictional film. You have a summary of a character's personality and background, and you find an actor who can best portray that. Simple as. And I think that method of casting would lead to far better performances and filmmaking than if they focused too much on things like body and facial structure.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with Dex that finding perfect similarity in appearance is not at the top of my list of reasons to pick an actor to play a role. My casting was based on a "vision" that I've had for this movie for some time as well as the actors who I feel can capture the spirit of the character. Example: Nobody has named an actor better suited for Buck than Steven Strait.

Basically my pitch for Dreams (as I title it) is: "Twilight meets Exorcist II: The Heretic... with music!"

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 01-11-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Old 01-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well i can hear what you guys are saying, but it's not just artsy telling of an interesting story, it's also a bio. and as such, i would think what it should also portray is why was this particular person so big in his/her respective field. why did they make a difference? why were they so fascinating to people?

with Johnny Cash, a big part of it was his voice and the way he performed his (and others') songs. that doesn't come across in that movie for me, at all. and it makes a huge part of his story that's missing.

with Stevie Nicks it's somewhat similar - a big part of her popularity is her raspy sexy voice and the way she dresses. they way she dresses is obviously easy to replicate. but if the actress portraying her is actually singing the songs and her voice is just regular middle-of-the-road voice, that would be a big miss in any portrayal of SN.

with Lindsey's voice doesn't matter that much, to me, as his voice is nothing special and many people can replicate it. a good actor should also be able to portray his typical moves when playing. and Bradley Cooper can easily display very similar sexiness (plus naturally blue eyes) that is essential Lindsey.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

With Johnny Cash, I thought that Phoenix captured his essence. It was Reese Witherspoon that put me off completely. She was nothing like the June I thought I knew, nothing like her in looks, but nothing like her in "personality." The accent and mannerisms were all off and to me so was the portrayal but that was for reasons having to do more with the portrayal than the actress.

Michele
Old 01-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
With Johnny Cash, I thought that Phoenix captured his essence. It was Reese Witherspoon that put me off completely. She was nothing like the June I thought I knew, nothing like her in looks, but nothing like her in "personality." The accent and mannerisms were all off and to me so was the portrayal but that was for reasons having to do more with the portrayal than the actress.

Michele
see, Reese didn't bother me since i haven't seen much of real June.

what do you consider the essence of Johnny Cash, that Phoenix captured? again, i'm missing his whole essence in Phoenix, as i described. the essential man in black who i loved was just not there. but you know, the family was involved and approved the movie, so obviously there was something there, just not essential to me.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=Dex;1116798]Physical resemblance is one of the last things on my list when it comes to casting choices for films like this. I don't get why that's so important to people. Obviously I don't want it to look pantomime-ish in its inaccuracy, but face it, the actors are never going to look exactly like the real people they are portraying because they are not the real people. It's a movie. It's its own little world. Ability to convey a personality and carry a narrative are what matters in a movie. Unless you're going to bring photos of Stevie into the theatre and constantly compare them to her film counterpart while watching, in which case you're not really watching the film anyway.

I would agree with this, ordinarily; (like I do with most of Dex's posts); however, I think that in the case of someone like Stevie, there are unique complications because of her supernatural beauty and extraordinary charisma. Goodness, they're ALL incredibly charismatic, but what did David Wild from Rolling Stone say, "...Maybe the most beautiful woman on earth"?

It's so hard to even imagine trying to cast the film because so many of the really good actors and actresses we love are just too darn old, bless their hearts! Maybe it will be different for the general public than it will be for us Ledgies whose lives have been so deeply touched by these five people we adore so much. I have to say, though, I think I prefer Mick's idea for a Broadway play. But I would want it to be a very serious play~not just fluff as the vehicle for a musical.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
what do you consider the essence of Johnny Cash, that Phoenix captured? again, i'm missing his whole essence in Phoenix, as i described. the essential man in black who i loved was just not there. but you know, the family was involved and approved the movie, so obviously there was something there, just not essential to me.
I thought he had Cash's swagger and confidence without being arrogant. And also even before he took that role, I thought that Phoenix was psychologically troubled, had a difficult and controversial youth and that he would do a good job of bringing Cash's struggles to the screen and he did. I believed Phoenix's anger and defiance along with the gentleness I saw in Cash's later years (as when he guested on Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman).

I thought the movie made June really shallow, but Phoenix handled Cash's contradictions well to me and it became about the story, rather than me judging whether he looked and sounded like Johnny Cash. He felt like Cash to me and Reese felt like a pixie.

Also, although I never wanted Robert Patrick on the X-Files, I really got into the scenes between him and Cash and I had only read about Cash's relationship with his father before the movie and then after I saw the movie those scenes made me feel almost as if I had seen a documentary rather than just a film adaption. It seemed real to me, even if it probably was not faithful to what happened in real life.

I think my biggest problem was that I had seen a lot of June and Johnny together in real life and I didn't buy that, but Phoenix made it easy for me to accept the other parts of Cash's life that I hadn't seen. Michele
Old 01-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I disagree with every aspect of your pitch.

I do have feelings you know...
Old 01-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMonster View Post
Wtf hell no to Jennifer Lawrence. She looks absolutely nothing like Stevie, aside from boobs. I look more like Stevie than Jennifer Lawrence that isn't saying much. Bradley Cooper is too muscular, but the eyes are pretty close. My vote for Stevie (and its a long shot, too) is Shailene Woodley. She's a pretty good actress, right age, a little too tall, lighten/fix the hair, fix the makeup... And maybe?

Yes! to this. And can't wait for her in The Fault in Our Stars!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Junior Ledgie

I agree that it's more important to capture vibe/spirit rather than cast someone who resembles the person. However, for the three singer/singwriters, I feel like their voice and songwriting style is a very important part of their persona. So I would actually go and try to cast singers who can act, especially for Stevie and Christine.

Lindsey's voice isn't superspecial, and I think a dedicated actor with some singing talent could learn. Bradley Cooper, as some people have suggested, I think could really work

As for Stevie and Christine, they have such distinct voices - Christine's alto and Stevie with that sexy rasp - that anyone portraying them would need to have a similar voice. Clothes, haircut, make up and movement and such is no big deal for an actor, but it you're an actor and not a singer, I don't think it'd be possible to learn to sing with a certain voice and have it sound great.

Basically, I would just love for some pretty much unknown singer/singwriters to be cast as Chris and Stevie. I think a talented singer could use the music to really get into character, if you see what I'm saying.

Also, what's good about using unknown people is that there isn't that risk of feeling like you're looking at, say, Jennifer Lawrence acting as Stevie Nicks. Even if Jennifer's performence is great, what you already know about Jen and her personality might overshadow what she's doing with the character, which would be a shame.

As for John and Mick... I don't think they'd be very difficult to cast.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milane View Post
I agree that it's more important to capture vibe/spirit rather than cast someone who resembles the person. However, for the three singer/singwriters, I feel like their voice and songwriting style is a very important part of their persona. So I would actually go and try to cast singers who can act, especially for Stevie and Christine.
I'm not sure any actor/singer is really going to be able to capture the vocal qualities of Stevie and Christine, but I could be wrong. I like the idea of them lip-syncing to existing recordings better. Or perhaps, if we find singers with uncannily similar voices, have them record the music, and have the actresses lip-sync to it? It'd probably be much more plausible and have success be much more likely if they find a brilliant vocalist and a brilliant actor in two separate artists, rather than trying to find one who can "do it all" and inevitably compromising in some way.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I'm not sure any actor/singer is really going to be able to capture the vocal qualities of Stevie and Christine, but I could be wrong. I like the idea of them lip-syncing to existing recordings better.
Yes, I really am not too interested in singing impersonations. Michele