Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Extended Play Reviews

Here's one from E.W.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2013/04/30/f...ended-play-ep/
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac have released their first collection of new music in a decade. As promised, the legendary band tabled a full album release in favor of an EP, titled "Extended Play" and available exclusively on iTunes.

The record kicks off with the bouncy "Sad Angel," in which co-lead singers Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks harmonize over looping guitar and Mick Fleetwood's driving beat. "Hello, hello sad angel, have you come to fight the war?" they ask.

The rest of the EP includes the classic-sounding "Without You," which started as a track for Buckingham Nicks, the duo's pre-Mac group. There's also a piano ballad by Buckingham called "It Takes Time" and the album closer "Miss Fantasy."

It's their first new music since 2003's "Say You Will," which debuted and peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200.

The band told Billboard in February that, "Big, long albums don't seem to be what everybody wants these days." Whether a full-length album emerges from this current reunion is entirely up to fans, Nicks said.

"[Let's] see if the world does want more music from us," Nicks said. "If we get that feeling, that they do want another 10 songs, we can reassess."

Fleetwood Mac is on tour until June.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-extended-play
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post

"[Let's] see if the world does want more music from us," Nicks said. "If we get that feeling, that they do want another 10 songs, we can reassess."

Fleetwood Mac is on tour until June.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-extended-play
So here's an idea, Stevie. Let's release it with no advertisement except at your shows, and only on iTunes. So half the world wont have access to it!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRhiannon View Post
So here's an idea, Stevie. Let's release it with no advertisement except at your shows, and only on iTunes. So half the world wont have access to it!
Apparently that's the right way to do it, since it's doing well on the charts!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
Guess it's time to reassess. *cough cough*
Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Apparently that's the right way to do it, since it's doing well on the charts!
I know!!! Who knew!

Number one, baby!!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So Stevie & Lindsey produced Without You, and Mitchell Froom produced the other three tracks. Interesting.

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003 View Post
So Stevie & Lindsey produced Without You, and Mitchell Froom produced the other three tracks. Interesting.
yup, that's what i thought.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleet...-album-review/
FLEETWOOD MAC, ‘EXTENDED PLAY’ – ALBUM REVIEW
by Michael Gallucci April 30, 2013 12:17 PM

iTunes

The last time Fleetwood Mac made an album together, they were minus Christine McVie and enough good songs to fill its 75-minute running length. They’re still without McVie on their new four-song EP, but they fixed ‘Say You Will’’s biggest problem by keeping ‘Extended Play’ at an economical 17 minutes. And if it sounds more like a Lindsey Buckingham record than an actual band one at times, at least ‘Extended Play’ is the best thing released under the Fleetwood Mac moniker since 1987’s ‘Tango in the Night.’

In fact, ‘Extended Play,’ which is available exclusively on iTunes, sounds a lot like Buckingham’s recent solo albums, but with a punchier rhythm section and Stevie Nicks’ backing vocals. All of which give the music way more life than if Buckingham – whose insular approach to his solo records often make them sound thin and narrow – would have recorded them himself.

The opening ‘Sad Angel,’ propelled by acoustic guitar and a killer hook, crackles with more energy than anything the band or Buckingham, who wrote and sings lead on all but one of the EP’s four tracks, has done in years. It doesn’t hurt that Nicks and Buckingham still make a great singing team, chiming in on the choruses like it’s 1977 again. The song is the highlight of ‘Extended Play’ and its only real uptempo track.

But the remaining three songs are almost as good, especially the closing ‘Miss Fantasy,’ a shuffling pop number featuring a whispered vocal by Buckingham, with Nicks pushing along the choruses. The hushed piano ballad ‘It Takes Time’ is mostly Buckingham until the final minute, when strings swell around the spare melody. And Nicks and Buckingham share lead vocals on ‘Without You,’ a leftover cut from the pair’s pre-Fleetwood Mac duo days written by Nicks.

Fleetwood Mac have been performing a couple of the songs on their current tour, so in a way, ‘Extended Play’ doubles as a show souvenir for fans wanting new material from the band. It’s not essential Mac by any means, but after all these years, and all these years apart, it’s nice to know that they’re still capable of making some sweet music together.

7 out of 10 Official Ultimate Classic Rock Rating

btw, if anybody thinks Sad Angel is more rocking than a number of songs on Lindseys most recent solo albums, they are either deaf or never listened to those albums.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rolling Stone By RJ Cubarrubia

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ay-ep-20130430

April 30, 2013 9:55 AM ET

Fleetwood Mac have returned with their first batch of new music in 10 years. Extended Play, available now exclusively on iTunes, contains the new tracks "Sad Angel," "It Takes Time" and "Miss Fantasy," penned by Lindsey Buckingham. It also includes "Without You," a rediscovered and revamped track originally written by Stevie Nicks from the pair's Buckingham Nicks project.

Extended Play is Fleetwood Mac's first studio release since the 2003 LP Say You Will. Buckingham promised the EP was on the way earlier this month during a concert in Philadelphia. In January, he talked to Rolling Stone about how his relationship with Stevie Nicks has developed over the years.

"It's still evolving, and that's the beauty of it too. I've known Stevie since high school. We were a couple for many, many years, and we've been a musical couple forever," Buckingham said. "After all this time you would think there was nothing left to discover, nothing left to work out, no new chapters to be written. But that is not the case – there are new chapters to be written."

Fleetwood Mac are currently on a North American tour. Their next show is tonight at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri. For full tour dates, visit the band's website.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz2RyIbVztK
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
Old 04-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I know!!! Who knew!

Number one, baby!!
It's #59 currently...
Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default More press

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...=entertainment
Fleetwood Mac 'Extended Play' Released As Band Debuts New Songs

Earlier this month veteran rockers Fleetwood Mac promised fans they would soon be releasing new music, and Tuesday morning they did just that.

Made up of Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, and Lindsey Buckingham, Fleetwood Mac released a four-track EP called "Extended Play" on Tuesday, available exclusively through iTunes.

"One of the things we thought would be a good idea before we hit the road would be to go into the studio and cut some new material," Buckingham said at a Philadelphia concert in April. "So last year we did that. It's the best stuff we've done in a long time, and in a few days we're going to drop an EP of new stuff."

The extended play is Fleetwood Mac's first collection of new material in 10 years. The band released its last studio album, "Say You Will," in 2003. The new EP features four songs from Fleetwood Mac: a retro Nicks-penned track "Without You," as well as new songs called "Sad Angel," "It Takes Time," and "Miss Fantasy." Take a listen to "Sad Angel" above.

With more than four decades in the business, the members of Fleetwood Mac are currently in the midst of a North American tour. The tour kicked off earlier this month, hitting cities across the U.S. and Canada before wrapping in Sacramento, Calif. on July 6. The band then heads abroad, kicking off the European leg of the tour in Dublin, Ireland on Sept. 20.

So what has kept the rockers (now all in their 60s) going all of these years, making new music and traveling the world on an exhausting schedule? "It has everything to do with the feeling I get when my fingers touch those keys and I sing that first sentence," Nicks explained to HuffPost Entertainment about her love of making music in December. "It may not save the world but people are gonna love it. Because I love it."
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
It's #59 currently...
Weird.. it's still showing as being the top album in Rock on iTunes. I think I have iTunes Canada or US or something maybe.

Or my iTunes just knows what I want to see.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Weird.. it's still showing as being the top album in Rock on iTunes. I think I have iTunes Canada or US or something maybe.

Or my iTunes just knows what I want to see.
Right now (just checked), it is number 6 on the iTunes album chart.

For those who may not know, these are iTunes sales charts - not Billboard rankings or anything like that.

However, with iTunes being the largest (in terms of volume) music retailer in the world, being number 6 in the U.S. late in the day after release, is very impressive.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post

However, with iTunes being the largest (in terms of volume) music retailer in the world, being number 6 in the U.S. late in the day after release, is very impressive.
That's good to know. I wasn't sure. I thought maybe it was common for new releases by a name band to have a big spurt up the first day and then fall to #139 within the week. So, to know it's not a regular thing is inspiring.

Michele
Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's good to know. I wasn't sure. I thought maybe it was common for new releases by a name band to have a big spurt up the first day and then fall to #139 within the week. So, to know it's not a regular thing is inspiring.

Michele
It says to me that it's selling units to more than just internet fans. If this were not available online, and only a CD release in brick-and-mortor stores, I doubt it would have charted. Just my opinion, of course - I'm no sales analyst.

Of course, it might very well fall to 139 tomorrow.

Unrelated:
Gosh, the projects Stevie could do if she embraced the internet.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case