The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't even really focused on the live cd yet as I'm hooked on disc 2, taking in all the alternate versions and outtakes. All their voices are flawless. Loving the Chris and Lindsey harmonies on EOTW! The original vinyl version of SB has more of a Chris presence which I'm liking a lot. The keys stand out more to me, in a very good way...."fingers find the ivory keys", yep! Gotta love Stevie's comment in the beginning of IYWML, "make it more sparkly sounding" referring to Chris and Linds and how they are playing.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I ordered via Amazon UK. It i has shipped. Paid 38 English Pounds. Not sure what that is Merican.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
I ordered via Amazon UK. It i has shipped. Paid 38 English Pounds. Not sure what that is Merican.

Mine has yet to ship from Amazon UK.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Has anybody else who ordered from Amazon Canada gotten their super deluxe copy? I just received an e-mail today stating that it is expected between October 21 - November 1. I ordered the think back in May!

Old 09-23-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I haven't even really focused on the live cd yet as I'm hooked on disc 2, taking in all the alternate versions and outtakes. All their voices are flawless. Loving the Chris and Lindsey harmonies on EOTW! The original vinyl version of SB has more of a Chris presence which I'm liking a lot. The keys stand out more to me, in a very good way...."fingers find the ivory keys", yep! Gotta love Stevie's comment in the beginning of IYWML, "make it more sparkly sounding" referring to Chris and Linds and how they are playing.
Had same exact comment regarding these outtakes. Also, love Only Over You.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

The 5.1 surround is amazing.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Had same exact comment regarding these outtakes. Also, love Only Over You.
I could get lost in that song. Simply beautiful. Are you liking the "strings" in "Wish You Were Here"? It does have a more cinematic vibe as an earlier poster stated.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
Just shy of $50.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I could get lost in that song. Simply beautiful. Are you liking the "strings" in "Wish You Were Here"? It does have a more cinematic vibe as an earlier poster stated.

My only complaint is that Only Over You is way too loud at least in the 5.1 mixes. Much louder than the rest. I haven't read back to see if anyone else has noticed it. Has anyone?

On a positive note, the sounds one can hear that were never audible before are mind blowing. One of the top 2 5.1 surround mixes I have ever heard. It's like a new album.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonBielski View Post
My only complaint is that Only Over You is way too loud at least in the 5.1 mixes. Much louder than the rest. I haven't read back to see if anyone else has noticed it. Has anyone?

On a positive note, the sounds one can hear that were never audible before are mind blowing. One of the top 2 5.1 surround mixes I have ever heard. It's like a new album.
Don't have the 5.1 yet. Looking forward to hearing that though. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I'm massively bummed out at the version of Smile At You that was used. Does the band/Ken not know what the fans consider to be the definitive version of that song? Do they hate it or something?
So...I just listened and I gotta say I totally agree with you. Perhaps Ken liked this one the most? Maybe it was for space considerations - the 'definitive' version we've been trading for years runs 5:40, and this one is a minute less - whereas the outtakes CD is 1 hour and 19 minutes and however many seconds - iTunes doesn't tell me - but there may not have been room for the better version. I guess this leaves Warner with more (and better) material for a future release.

I seem to recall though - back in the early aughts, Ken did a Q&A (on here, perhaps?) and I *swear* at the time he claimed to have no knowledge of the song whatsoever. Perhaps he truly wasn't familiar with the song and just picked whatever he heard first?

Here is what I would have preferred:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmGaJtn696o

Versus what we got (assuming someone at Warner will have YouTube cleaned up after this release?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7c8tWds_H0

And then - there are the other, earlier (?) versions of the song that are presumably Tusk-ish era recordings?
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 09-23-2016, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonBielski View Post

the 5.1 IS a completely DIFFERENT ALBUM. "Only over" through "Straight Back" is like seeing through a microscope for the first time. These songs are the highlight of the 5.1 album. It's more htan just parts we've never heard, there's a vibe and a feeling that feels weird and connected.

"Cool water" at the end of the 5.1 album makes the BEST closer ever. The entire album now plays out like a cast album to a 50s musical!

Truly thrilling!!
Old 09-23-2016, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That early version of Empire State is bringing me much joy.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 09-23-2016, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is it really just 19.99 for all 45 songs (3 discs) on iTunes?
Old 09-24-2016, 01:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
That early version of Empire State is bringing me much joy.
I really love it. I wish those vocals would have made their way onto the finished track. Sounds better then his whispery vocals.