User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-24-2002, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Don't be so sure that "The Dance" is strictly live performances...there was an awful lot of studio sweetening done to the basic tracks.

and

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

No question, ChiliD. That is quite obvious.
I think "awful lot" is an understatement....."The Dance" is a brilliant album but to think that it is a real "live" album would be totally naive....

Big Al84 made a very good point...it would be really interesting to hear those songs the way they sounded on the night(s) itself....I think the songs would sound totally different....

The most ridiculous example IMO is LB's solo at the end of GYOW.....from about 3:25 till 4:00 (on the edited CD version, not the video) he's playing the same bend over and over and over and over when you watch the video......but you hear (both on the CD and the video) something completely different i.e. what you're seeing doesn't correspond to what you're hearing.....and it's been done in such an obvious way that even someone who's never even picked up a guitar will realise it! You'd think they'd have the sense to not have such a close-up shot of that bit if they were going to so heavily alter it.........

Old 09-24-2002, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca
Big Al84 made a very good point...it would be really interesting to hear those songs the way they sounded on the night(s) itself....I think the songs would sound totally different....
Virtually the entire tour was taped by fans. You can hear exactly what they sounded like without the postproduction, & much of it is not all that different to these old ears. "The Dance" sounds smoother, more compressed, more perfectly mixed, doctored here & there. But the arrangements themselves sound pretty much the same.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David

Virtually the entire tour was taped by fans. You can hear exactly what they sounded like without the postproduction, & much of it is not all that different to these old ears. "The Dance" sounds smoother, more compressed, more perfectly mixed, doctored here & there. But the arrangements themselves sound pretty much the same.
Sure, but does anybody have an audience recording of the 2 shows they used for the Dance CD and video....?

I believe the best quality recording (apart from the Dance CD) of that tour is the Irvine Meadows show and if you take my example...listen to GYOW from that show and compare it to the Dance........they're not even comparable..! IMHO..!! Lindsey sounds like he's about to fall asleep...and even his guitar playing sounds tired........sliding up and down the neck over and over again towards the end, like he's run out of ideas or something....I didn't mean that the "arrangements" would be very different...I meant I reckon the quality (in all meanings of the word, e.g. vocals, guitar playing, drumming etc etc etc) of those first two performances would surprisingly different if you heard them "raw".

Old 09-24-2002, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
(originally posted by Carne Vaca)
No question, ChiliD. That is quite obvious.

"Obvious" to you & me and the "trained ear", but you'd be surprised how many people there are who DON'T know that "live" albums (of the "officially released" variety) aren't really an authentic representation of how a band/artist REALLY sounds in a live setting. I've had many a heated debate regarding some artists' Live albums...with the other persons raving over how "good a band sounds live", basing their argument solely on how their live album sounds.

Quote:
(originally posted by seteca)
I believe the best quality recording (apart from the Dance CD) of that tour is the Irvine Meadows show
Being that the Irvine Meadows show was recorded for a radio show broadcast, there was some studio work cleaning up that performance, as well...not as MUCH as if it were for a Live Album, but, there WAS work done, all the same.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking The Dance Arguments!!!

Hi Guys! {This comment is from an amateur musician!}

You know what!!!I just love everything from The Dance Years!
The perfectly produced studio cd to the video from the two nights!
Also 7 concert videos and 17 cd's and cassetts a fanatic fan sent me!
I play them in rotation and find something to admire in each and
every wonderfull performance! Iam glad I can't see all the flaws!

MUSIC is to be ENJOYED! Luv, Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey