The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. I went to the best concert OF MY LIFE at my favorite venue last night. Bon Iver at the Fillmore. Honestly the best show I've ever seen bar none.

2. I got in a car accident today. Some dumbass with no license or registration (debatably no insurance) decided to stop in the middle of an intersection. I was behind him so legally, I'm at fault but we're hoping the entire no license thing works in my advantage. I was bawling on the side of the road for about an hour, mourning over my poor little Jetta. There's a slight chance she's not totaled.... I am devastated. That car is my life.

3. I got my hair done today. It looks really good. Chocolate brown and 3 inches off (but its still ridiculously long...). Yay.

JTIS.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post

2. I got in a car accident today. Some dumbass with no license or registration (debatably no insurance) decided to stop in the middle of an intersection. I was behind him so legally, I'm at fault but we're hoping the entire no license thing works in my advantage. I was bawling on the side of the road for about an hour, mourning over my poor little Jetta. There's a slight chance she's not totaled.... I am devastated.

JTIS.

Yike! SO sorry that happened! . . . .

Little "tip" for future reference - Never stop if you can swerve.
(It takes MUCH less time to yank the steering wheel to the left or right and go around, then to move your foot up, over and down on the brake - plus swerving takes advantage of momentum, whereas trying to stop means you're fighting against the momentum of the car.) Naturally you have to use your best judgment in each different case; and obviously sometimes you'd want to dump as much speed as possible if you're obviously gonna collide.

I don't mean to sound "preachy" or imply it was your fault or anything like that, it's just that that "little trick" saved my Dad's life once, or at least saved him from extremely severe injury. He was doing a good 60 mph on the highway and some a-hole who had just gotten into a road rage incident swerved out from the shoulder right in front of him without even bothering to look first - I guess he was still yelling at the other guy - instead of trying to stop - 'cause he knew he wouldn't be able to - my Dad just simply jerked the steering wheel to the left, and so instead of having a head-on collision kind of thing, he hit the other car with a "glancing blow" and so there was much less energy and force involved. Car was reparable and everything, too.

For whatever it's worth, that particular accident was immediately ruled the other guy's fault (he had admitted it was, too...) and so his insurance had to pay for it.
Anyway I hope it works out with getting your car fixed, etc. Glad you weren't hurt!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I probably would have done that simply out of instinct if I had the time/space.... this was a 30MPH zone and he wasn't too far ahead of me. And he literally stopped DEAD in his tracks-- I wouldn't have made it out if I had tried.

:/ NOT a fun day.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellaaarisen View Post
1. I went to the best concert OF MY LIFE at my favorite venue last night. Bon Iver at the Fillmore. Honestly the best show I've ever seen bar none.

2. I got in a car accident today. Some dumbass with no license or registration (debatably no insurance) decided to stop in the middle of an intersection. I was behind him so legally, I'm at fault but we're hoping the entire no license thing works in my advantage. I was bawling on the side of the road for about an hour, mourning over my poor little Jetta. There's a slight chance she's not totaled.... I am devastated. That car is my life.

3. I got my hair done today. It looks really good. Chocolate brown and 3 inches off (but its still ridiculously long...). Yay.

JTIS.
No Danielle... that's exactly what happened to me- #2.. Except the dumbass in front of me had his license and registration..but decided to stop in front of me when the light was basically green turning yellow because he was "afraid" of being caught on a camera.. Needless to say his car only had a small scratch on it, but mine was totalled.. Still don't know wtf he was thinking.. but what do we do..? lol.. I hope they can fix your poor car up.. and most importantly, I hope YOU are ok...

Hugs,

Arlene

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....
Old 09-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So I had a dream last night that I got kidnapped.
And it felt very real... really scary.

I woke up this morning and my knuckles on my right hand hurt and they were red.
Hmmm....

JTIS.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For the past week and a half, I've been having what 2 doctors and my therapist have assured me are panic attacks. The ER doctor prescribed me some Xanax and Ambien last week that are supposed to last me until I can see the psychiatrist my therapist recommended - on the 30th. I feel like I'm going to die or go crazy every single day. At the moment, I'm strung out on Xanax, so it's not too bad right now. But earlier today I was in a tizzy for a good few hours. The panic attacks themselves don't last too long, but I have overwhelming feelings of fear, nervousness, and anxiety nearly all the time.

This is not fun, people.

Don't you feel sorry for me?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
This is not fun, people.
Hang in there markolas.

Sorry about the car wreck Dani.
Glad you're ok.

I'm taking a 10 minute break from
playing the old 6 string.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
For the past week and a half, I've been having what 2 doctors and my therapist have assured me are panic attacks. The ER doctor prescribed me some Xanax and Ambien last week that are supposed to last me until I can see the psychiatrist my therapist recommended - on the 30th. . . . .
This is not fun, people.

Yike. Sorry that you're going through that.
If it helps any, I studied some neuroscience in school - the feeling seems to be that it's totally caused by a neurotransmitter imbalance - I THINK it's serotonin "but don't quote me" - so it's totally not "psychological," they think - just something in the brain that's a little out-of-tune and needs to be fixed. Look at it this way, though, at least they know how to get things back "on track" with this kind of thing, these days.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Right now I am frying onions mixed with red and green peppers and it smells soooooo delicious. Tomorrow morning I will mix it into my scrambled eggs.

I am listening to Plies sing about Becky too.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Not to be all Stevie Nicks in the 85 interview currently posted in her forum, but I swear to God, I woke up this year, and I was suddenly good at math. I just came back from my calc class, and after missing two days, I still seemed to understand the lesson more clearly than most of the other students did. Before a few months ago, that NEVER would have happened. I'm going to break down the reasoning behind this for you all, though I'm sure no one cares.

High school was fairly valueless for me. I rarely went when I was enrolled, and in the middle of senior year, I graduated early. I knew I had been or would be accepted to most of the colleges I had applied to, and working and earning money seemed a much better use of my time than sitting mindlessly in a classroom. I felt like I had played the game long enough. The only thing I really regretted was that I felt that I never understood math. I could memorize what formulas we were taught and memorize what problems to apply them to, but I never knew *why* I was applying them, and I didn't quite see the use in being graded on my memory.....so I just didn't try. At all. I didn't do my homework, I didn't study for the tests, and I only managed high grades because even barely attending, if you hear a formula again and again, it's eventually going to stick.

So. I got to Wellesley. I had a vague notion of what algebra III was, an even vaguer notion of what pre-calc was, and feeling ignorant while floating around with people who had taken math in the 10th grade that I've never even dreamed of started to really piss me off. I decided to take calculus just for the exposure, though I was sure I would flounder and fail. In the span of one week, I became more than comfortable with concepts of pre-calculus that I felt I had no hope of ever really grasping before because, for the first time, I was taught the why of it, not just the how. I can work with a "why." Learning a "why" makes sense to me. I might actually bother to do it. Now that we're on to actual calculus, I'm even more intrigued. There are graphs, there are theories behind the graphs, they physically make sense and offer explanations.

The moral of the story is that I'm currently having a love affair with mathematics, JTIS.

Oh, except downside now? I feel like I've garnered what I needed to from college, that it's the governing principles, the big ideas, the "why"s, behind any idea that are far more important than the actual idea itself. I'm kind of over college.
You're so like me
Old 09-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
Not to be all Stevie Nicks in the 85 interview currently posted in her forum, but I swear to God, I woke up this year, and I was suddenly good at math. I just came back from my calc class, and after missing two days, I still seemed to understand the lesson more clearly than most of the other students did. Before a few months ago, that NEVER would have happened. I'm going to break down the reasoning behind this for you all, though I'm sure no one cares.

High school was fairly valueless for me. I rarely went when I was enrolled, and in the middle of senior year, I graduated early. I knew I had been or would be accepted to most of the colleges I had applied to, and working and earning money seemed a much better use of my time than sitting mindlessly in a classroom. I felt like I had played the game long enough. The only thing I really regretted was that I felt that I never understood math. I could memorize what formulas we were taught and memorize what problems to apply them to, but I never knew *why* I was applying them, and I didn't quite see the use in being graded on my memory.....so I just didn't try. At all. I didn't do my homework, I didn't study for the tests, and I only managed high grades because even barely attending, if you hear a formula again and again, it's eventually going to stick.

So. I got to Wellesley. I had a vague notion of what algebra III was, an even vaguer notion of what pre-calc was, and feeling ignorant while floating around with people who had taken math in the 10th grade that I've never even dreamed of started to really piss me off. I decided to take calculus just for the exposure, though I was sure I would flounder and fail. In the span of one week, I became more than comfortable with concepts of pre-calculus that I felt I had no hope of ever really grasping before because, for the first time, I was taught the why of it, not just the how. I can work with a "why." Learning a "why" makes sense to me. I might actually bother to do it. Now that we're on to actual calculus, I'm even more intrigued. There are graphs, there are theories behind the graphs, they physically make sense and offer explanations.

The moral of the story is that I'm currently having a love affair with mathematics, JTIS.

Oh, except downside now? I feel like I've garnered what I needed to from college, that it's the governing principles, the big ideas, the "why"s, behind any idea that are far more important than the actual idea itself. I'm kind of over college.
Just wait until you have to get a job. Believe me you'll be over that even sooner!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The moral of the story is that I'm currently having a love affair with mathematics, JTIS..
This is actually VERY interesting to me personally; for many reasons. Only one of them is that I'm really interested in the field of Education and I think it shows much - for one thing, to me it shows exactly how are colleges are succeeding (or at least leaning somewhere in that general direction) and our public schools are failing.

Quote:

Well, don't forget, knowing about the gears which make the engine go, is an entirely different thing than understanding the gears themselves.

One other thing I'd like to point out - I think this is a general "rule of thumb" across ALL majors in college: After you graduate high school, you can take a vocabulary test of college-level vocabulary words, and do well on it. After your Sophomore year or so, you're starting to use them, even when hanging out with your friends. After you graduate college, you're talking like a college-educated person. And I think that's a good thing. Sorry, but "Like, I was watching Jay Leno last night and he like was so FUNNY!" doesn't exactly cut it at the water cooler. Communicating effectively and being able to make a persuasive argument (in my opinion) really are important for success - regardless of what jobs or careers one ends up having over the course of a long life. Granted that can be learned in places other than college - but it really is true (i.m.o.) that the students learn just as much - or more - from each other than from classes.
It really is a "learning environment" - even if a somewhat LOUD one! lol!
Just some ideas.

Last edited by Ghost_Tracker; 09-25-2009 at 04:30 PM..
Old 09-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker View Post
Communicating effectively and being able to make a persuasive argument (in my opinion) really are important for success - regardless of what jobs or careers one ends up having over the course of a long life. Granted that can be learned in places other than college - but it really is true (i.m.o.) that the students learn just as much - or more - from each other than from classes.
It really is a "learning environment" - even if a somewhat LOUD one! lol!
Just some ideas.
I agree that students learn more from each other than they do in class, but I've actually found that I've learned much more about how to communicate in the business world from internships than from anything else. I spent the last summer interning full time at a law firm, and I fill my time at school working as the head coach for an SAT tutoring program for low income students. The mix between working one on one with professionals and instructing a classroom full of unprivileged students taught me nuances of communication that the classroom, or the student body of my college of pretentious elites, never could have.

I think your comment on the use of college vocabulary is interesting, but here we part ways. I've found the most effective communication is clear and concise, and it rarely, if ever, requires a lexicon above that of a moderately gifted high school sophomore.

Oh, and I'm dying for Luke to jump in, one, because I'd like to flatter myself and believe that I've finally said something he'd find interesting, and two because I believe he left college early after he had found a better way to meet his goals.
You're so like me
Old 09-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker View Post
Yike. Sorry that you're going through that.
If it helps any, I studied some neuroscience in school - the feeling seems to be that it's totally caused by a neurotransmitter imbalance - I THINK it's serotonin "but don't quote me" - so it's totally not "psychological," they think - just something in the brain that's a little out-of-tune and needs to be fixed. Look at it this way, though, at least they know how to get things back "on track" with this kind of thing, these days.

I'm studying this in Pyschology at the moment. There's a few different theories as to why people become anxious. You're right about serotonin, that's the chemical that makes us feel "happy". Obviously, reduced levels of serotonin will make someone feel depressed or anxious. Other factors come into it too though. The environment plays a factor too - what's going on in your life, work, things like that. We're always told to take a "multi-perspective" when looking at behaviourial abnormalities as they're called. It tends to be a number of different things that cause us to feel emotions, so some of it is pyschological.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Moon View Post
I'm studying this in Pyschology at the moment. There's a few different theories as to why people become anxious. You're right about serotonin, that's the chemical that makes us feel "happy". Obviously, reduced levels of serotonin will make someone feel depressed or anxious. Other factors come into it too though. The environment plays a factor too - what's going on in your life, work, things like that. We're always told to take a "multi-perspective" when looking at behaviourial abnormalities as they're called. It tends to be a number of different things that cause us to feel emotions, so some of it is pyschological.
Okay, sure, fair enough. I may be a little "behind the times" on some of this stuff, at the moment.