The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-07-2020, 02:16 AM
cbBen cbBen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 848
Default Rejected Album Post-OOTC?

I know this has been discussed in past threads, but in the interest of a comprehensive and fully-updated account: Following OOTC, did Lindsey make an album, perhaps co-produced by Richard Dashut, that the label rejected?

If so, what do we know about it and the songs from it?
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 01-07-2020, 08:29 AM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I know this has been discussed in past threads, but in the interest of a comprehensive and fully-updated account: Following OOTC, did Lindsey make an album, perhaps co-produced by Richard Dashut, that the label rejected?

If so, what do we know about it and the songs from it?
ioriginal Gift of Screws. supposedly because of changes at the label at the time they told him to hold it back and roll it into Mac when he presented it to WB in 2001. probably his best album ever and biggest mistake to wait and roll parts of it into SYW - and then into additional solo albums when Stevie didn't want to do another FM album and tour in tandem with SYW.

scroll down to "bootleg track listing" here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_of_Screws
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2020, 09:16 AM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,266
Default

this bootleg GOS cemented my LB fandom. it's something that's very near and dear to me.

pasting parts of the above referenced wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_of_Screws that refer to original GOS:

Album history
The album title existed as a solo album set for release in 2001 by Reprise Records. Songs were recorded between 1995 and 2000, some of which were performed and recorded live by Fleetwood Mac for their The Dance album and tour in 1997. They also feature contributions from bandmates Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.

Upon presenting the finished album to Reprise, Buckingham was advised to retain some of the material for a forthcoming Fleetwood Mac album. To this end, Buckingham contributed several of the songs towards the 2003 album Say You Will and ultimately his next solo project, Under the Skin, released in 2006.

However, high-quality bootlegs of the Gift of Screws project, which had been mixed but not yet mastered, were publicly circulated for free MP3 download in October 2001.[2]

The title track takes its inspiration from an Emily Dickinson poem. The song was recorded during the sessions for Say You Will but did not appear on the album.
...........................................................

Bootleg Track Listing
"Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" (released on Under the Skin)
"Miranda" (released with additional overdubs on Fleetwood Mac's Say You Will)
"Steal Your Heart Away" (released with additional overdubs on Say You Will)
"Red Rover" (released on Say You Will)
"She Smiled Sweetly" (Rolling Stones cover) (alternate recording released on Seeds We Sow)
"Come" (released on Say You Will)
"Down on Rodeo" (released on Under the Skin)
"Gotta Get Away" (Rolling Stones cover)
"Try for the Sun" (released on Under the Skin as "To Try for the Sun")
"Shuffle Riff" (released as "Wait for You" on official release)
"Murrow" (released on Say You Will as "Murrow Turning Over in His Grave")
"Gift of Screws" (released on official release)
"Bleed to Love Her" (live version released on The Dance, studio version released on Say You Will)
"Twist of Fate" (released as "The Right Place to Fade" on official release)
"Go Insane" (live version recorded for The Dance, released on The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac)
"Say Goodbye" (released on Say You Will)
"The Singer Not the Song" (Rolling Stones Cover)

Personnel
Lindsey Buckingham - Electric & Acoustic Guitars, Keyboards, Bass, Percussion, Drums, Programming
John McVie - Bass on Wait for You and Gift of Screws
John Pierce - Bass on Twist of Fate
Mick Fleetwood - Drums & Percussion on Wait for You, Twist of Fate, and Gift of Screws

Technical
Wait for You - Produced by Rob Cavallo & Lindsey Buckingham, Mixed by Mark Needham
Gift of Screws - Produced by Rob Cavallo & Lindsey Buckingham
Tracks engineered by Lindsey Buckingham, Ken Allardyce, and Mark Needham
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2020, 09:33 AM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,266
Default

^^^^^Personnel and Technical listed above was pasted from released Gift of Screws album article, and refer to only GOS released songs - not SYW or UTS or unreleased songs.

Christine McVie participated on Bleed to Love Her and Steal Your Heart Away, and Mick and John did too, as well as on the number of other songs (if not all).

and it is very probable that most if not all songs on the bootleg were co-produced by LB and Rob Cavallo, and mixed by Mark Needham.
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2020, 04:49 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
However, high-quality bootlegs of the Gift of Screws project, which had been mixed but not yet mastered, were publicly circulated for free MP3 download in October 2001.
I was the guy who ripped the MP3s and gave them to Sarah, I believe, to post on her fan site. The mixed tracks were burned to an audio CD by an old friend at Maverick who was working with Mark Needham on some other projects. Rob Cavallo and Glen Ballard (Alanis Morisette producer) played a big role in advocating for the album from 1998 to 2000, I do recall.
__________________

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-07-2020, 05:57 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,060
Default

Oh wow. I had a flashback. I remember hearing about Gift of Screws forever after The Dance and how Lindsey was working on it. Then it sort of went of the radar.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-07-2020, 07:24 PM
cbBen cbBen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 848
Default

I meant an album completed in (or by) c. 1995.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-07-2020, 07:38 PM
lbfan lbfan is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 471
Default Post OOTC Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I meant an album completed in (or by) c. 1995.
Although Lindsey was undoubtedly working on the unreleased GOS album (as detailed meticulously above by Elle and David) in 1995, he was not working with Richard as they parted company shortly after OOTC was completed. Lindsey did have a song (On The Wrong Side) on the With Honors movie soundtrack in 1994 and a duet with Stevie (Twisted) on the Twister movie soundtrack in 1996.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2020, 07:40 PM
lbfan lbfan is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 471
Default Original Gift of Screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I was the guy who ripped the MP3s and gave them to Sarah, I believe, to post on her fan site. The mixed tracks were burned to an audio CD by an old friend at Maverick who was working with Mark Needham on some other projects. Rob Cavallo and Glen Ballard (Alanis Morisette producer) played a big role in advocating for the album from 1998 to 2000, I do recall.
Thank you!!! That sustained my LB fixation for many years.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2020, 09:37 PM
cbBen cbBen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
Lindsey did have a song (On The Wrong Side) on the With Honors movie soundtrack in 1994 and a duet with Stevie (Twisted) on the Twister movie soundtrack in 1996.
Was "Twisted" a trial run to see whether he and Stevie could get along (or at least work together) before one or both agreed to commit to a full FM reunion?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-2020, 04:57 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,060
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Was "Twisted" a trial run to see whether he and Stevie could get along (or at least work together) before one or both agreed to commit to a full FM reunion?
Funny you ask that because I was watching the Dance interviews from 1997 last week. This question was asked and the answer was no. They also pushed back and said the 1993 inaugural ball also had nothing to do with their reunion.

After watching the interview and looking back its obvious it was for the money. Stevie's solo career was floundering and she cancelled tour dates on Street Angel and her album tanked. Lindsey was not making money off his solo career either. Mick always needed money. I think Chris just reluctantly went along to make everyone happy.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2020, 02:54 PM
cbBen cbBen is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Funny you ask that because I was watching the Dance interviews from 1997 last week. This question was asked and the answer was no. They also pushed back and said the 1993 inaugural ball also had nothing to do with their reunion.

After watching the interview and looking back its obvious it was for the money. Stevie's solo career was floundering and she cancelled tour dates on Street Angel and her album tanked. Lindsey was not making money off his solo career either. Mick always needed money. I think Chris just reluctantly went along to make everyone happy.
Thanks.

So The Dance was for money but what was "Twisted" for?

Why did Stevie choose to work with Lindsey on it?

At the time they decided to collaborate on it, did they already know (or at least expect) they would be reforming FM?

Last edited by cbBen; 01-08-2020 at 03:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-08-2020, 03:47 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
The Dance was for money but what was "Twisted" for?
According to Stevie, she wanted to write the song specifically for the movie because she wanted to capture its theme in the song.

Quote:
Why did Stevie choose to work with Lindsey on it?
Not sure why she actually called Lindsey and Mick at that point (very early 1996), but she did. I have always felt that she had emerged from her depression by then and was starting to get back in serious touch with her career. Things were revving up at the time (much of which never got released), including a live concert filmed for Lifetime on cable, a bio-documentary on Lifetime, some more recording (including Twister and Boys on the Side and the TV series Party of Five), a series of one-up appearances at rock shows that year (Tempe, LA, St. Petersburg, Cleveland, Boston), and lots more press (such as interviews with younger rockers Billy Corgan and Courtney Love). I think she had a new manager at that point, and was just getting eagerly back in the game. She may have felt that she wanted to patch things up with Lindsey and Mick.

Quote:
At the time they decided to collaborate on it, did they already know thy would be reforming FM?
I donít think they had any idea in early 1996 of a band reunion in their future. (If they had, why would it take over a year to pull it together?) I think that the amicability of the Twisted work helped them make up their minds in 1997 ó when they were finally discussing a reunion. In other words, had 1996 been fractious and unpleasant, I doubt Nicks would have eased back into the band a year later. But other ledgies, like Steve, are more prone to twisted plots and contrivances than I, and they think that the seeds of the actual reunion idea were planted in 1996 or even in 1995, involving the dismissal of Rick, Billy, and the dismantling of the Dave Mason grouping. I just donít see it that way. Fleetwood Mac fizzled out in the mid-1990s, Mick and John thought they were permanently finished as a band, and it was only happenstance that the Rumours Five got back together in 1997 (of course, Iím not naive enough to believe that they didnít know they would make a financial killing by doing what the Eagles had done in 1994).
__________________

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-08-2020, 10:44 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 3,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I donít think they had any idea in early 1996 of a band reunion in their future. (If they had, why would it take over a year to pull it together?) I think that the amicability of the Twisted work helped them make up their minds in 1997 ó when they were finally discussing a reunion. In other words, had 1996 been fractious and unpleasant, I doubt Nicks would have eased back into the band a year later..
Don't forget the intro speech of Bleed to love her. I always understood (from that speech) the sessions of Lindsey's solo album, with Mick and John, were the seeds of The Dance. But I don't know if that was before the Twisted recording session, or viceversa. Whatever which one was first, both events I think were during 1996 (The Dance evening was in may 97) and helped the reunion. The most difficult task probably was convincing Christine to come to USA.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-09-2020, 07:41 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 3,060
Default

According to the Dance interviews that I recently watched (again), the band is interviewed during rehearsals for their recorded show. They claim the reunion was extremely swift and it happened only several weeks before their rehearsal.
So I doubt in 1996 any of them would have predicted the reunion then.
__________________

Still I believe.....BACKSTABBING AND BETRAYAL will show us how
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

FLEETWOOD MAC card 1970 Mister Softee Lord Neilson PSA 10 Rookie pop 5 highest
$1200.0
FLEETWOOD MAC card 1970 Mister Softee Lord Neilson PSA 10 Rookie pop 5 highest pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks
$899.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Buckingham McVie Fleetwood Autographed Strat -Nicks pictureFleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee)
$499.0
Fleetwood Mac Signed Guitar Lindsey Buckingham Autographed Strat. (Nicks, McVee) pictureFleetwood Mac Vintage Jacket 70s/80s Rock Band From England.
$450.0
Fleetwood Mac Vintage Jacket 70s/80s Rock Band From England. pictureSIGNED - Mick Fleetwood "Mac" Drumhead 12" + Pic
$400.0
SIGNED - Mick Fleetwood



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved