User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Does it matter? Should I reserve my comments regarding Stevie because there haven't been an equal number made about Lindsey or Christine? I don't think so. I'm not worried about whether or not I'm viewed as being harsh towards Stevie, I've been harsh to them all to some extent. But if I make more "negative" critical remarks towards her music, it's because I have more "issues" with her music than I do with Lindsey's or Christine's. Everyone has their favorites and when forming critical opinions, no one is objective, after all.
Oh, I'm not blaming you for that. Your criticisms of various people and things are part of what makes this board so entertaining, so I'm not telling you that you should take it down a notch or anything! I was just trying to make a point to David that I really think Stevie is criticized more than other members.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
Oh, I'm not blaming you for that. Your criticisms of various people and things are part of what makes this board so entertaining, so I'm not telling you that you should take it down a notch or anything! I was just trying to make a point to David that I really think Stevie is criticized more than other members.
Well, thank you, dear.

Whereas Le Stew may like to focus simply on the positive aspects, I openly admit that I love to look at the negative aspects that I see in their music and I have an affection for criticizing them just as much as I like to praise them. It's fun, though it certainly isn't always sustainable. When it comes to Stevie, I have more negative things to say about her than any of the other members because there are more things about her career and her music that I don't like when compared to the others. Those are the breaks and no one has to agree with me.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, thank you, dear.

Whereas Le Stew may like to focus simply on the positive aspects, I openly admit that I love to look at the negative aspects that I see in their music and I have an affection for criticizing them just as much as I like to praise them. It's fun, though it certainly isn't always sustainable. When it comes to Stevie, I have more negative things to say about her than any of the other members because there are more things about her career and her music that I don't like when compared to the others. Those are the breaks and no one has to agree with me.
Well, (oh, don't you love that word!!! ), you know that I don't agree because she's my fave, but on the other hand, hasn't she released more material than the others, so doesn't that mean there's more out there for us to criticize? Also, doesn't she make more appearances and do more interviews and such, which gives people more reasons to criticize her? When I think about Stevie songs that I think are stupid as opposed to Chris songs that I think are stupid, I come up with more Stevie songs, but she has released a lot more music.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When viewed with most of the other mainstream pop songwriters today, I think Beyonce is quite talented. She's not going to win any awards from the Songwriters Hall of Fame (but, then, neither is Stevie), but I find her songs to be dependable fluff with enough of her personality and originality in them to elevate them to being a cut above the rest. She's a marvelous voice, she's got presence, and she has style. I'm hardly a huge fan, but I recognize her for the great talent she is.

But that's just my opinion.
I just hope she would stay away from Oscar night for a few years. I've seen her enough for a decade.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 03-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was just trying to make a point to David that I really think Stevie is criticized more than other members.
Yep she is, but conversely she is idolized by more people than any of the other members, & she sells more albums than they do. That's why I tend not to think she's in any worse of a spot than the others are.

All in all, they're all treated just fine: lauded for their songs & their place in rock history, well paid, &c. &c. They've all had remarkably good lives thanks to their success.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Yep she is, but conversely she is idolized by more people than any of the other members, & she sells more albums than they do. That's why I tend not to think she's in any worse of a spot than the others are.

All in all, they're all treated just fine: lauded for their songs & their place in rock history, well paid, &c. &c. They've all had remarkably good lives thanks to their success.
Ah, good points, IMO. More criticism, relatively speaking, but along with that comes more money and fame. And they're all doing pretty well with fame and money, anyway. Much better than I'm doing.

Sorry that I'm not talking about Christine, Homey. I was just singing "Friend" in my bedroom earlier, if that helps.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
A 7?

Damn boy, you must be tiny as all get out.

I have very small hands and feet for a man. Which can be annoying at times.

Thankfully for me though... and, in turn, Joshua ( )... old myths about shoe-size aren't true.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Thankfully for me though... and, in turn, Joshua ( )... old myths about shoe-size aren't true.
Oh no, here we go!
Old 03-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The whole world is out to "prove something," Johnny, because every artist gets raked over the coals -- many a lot more so than others. You guys need to put Stevie criticism into some sort of context, & come back down to Earth. Stevie hasn't been treated any worse than thousands of other artists
That's absolutely true.
Of course, I've always known that Stevie has her detractors... every artist does. It is odd, however, that so many of her "biggest fans" seem to also be her severest and most unforgiving critics.

I'd expect someone who despises Stevie to bash Stevie. I'm only surprised when someone who claims to be one of her "biggest fans," bashes her as if their very life depended on it.

Now, don't get me wrong... I'm not talking about good, honest criticism. I'm talking about the many and sundry cheap-shots.

But, then, someone once said, "it doesn't matter what they say, so long as they're talking about you."
So, if one chooses to look at it that way, I suppose Stevie gets the last laugh after all: even the people who genuinely do despise her, talk about her more than anyone else in the band.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd expect someone who despises Stevie to bash Stevie. I'm only surprised when someone who claims to be one of her "biggest fans," bashes her as if their very life depended on it.
I might have missed something (or lots of things), but I don't think I've ever heard someone criticize her mercilessly and then turn around and claim to be one of her biggest fans.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not worried about whether or not I'm viewed as being harsh towards Stevie, I've been harsh to them all to some extent. But if I make more "negative" critical remarks towards her music, it's because I have more "issues" with her music than I do with Lindsey's or Christine's. Everyone has their favorites and when forming critical opinions, no one is objective, after all.
Quote:
When it comes to Stevie, I have more negative things to say about her than any of the other members because there are more things about her career and her music that I don't like when compared to the others. Those are the breaks and no one has to agree with me.
Quite honestly, I get a big ol' kick out of the fact that you've often decreed Lindsey to be your favorite, while you spend a disproportionate amount of time talking about Stevie.

Poor guy can't even get his biggest fans to talk about him more than they do Stevie.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 03-20-2005 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Forgot my "they do"... do-be do-be do.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quite honestly, I get a big ol' kick out of the fact that you've often decreed Lindsey to be your favorite, while you spend a disproportionate amount of time talking about Stevie.

Poor guy can't even get his biggest fans to talk about him more than do Stevie.
Good point there!
Old 03-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I might have missed something (or lots of things), but I don't think I've ever heard someone criticize her mercilessly and then turn around and claim to be one of her biggest fans.
I could give you a long list of comments just off the top of my head.

In private though.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's absolutely true.
Of course, I've always known that Stevie has her detractors... every artist does. It is odd, however, that so many of her "biggest fans" seem to also be her severest and most unforgiving critics.

Now, don't get me wrong... I'm not talking about good, honest criticism. I'm talking about the many and sundry cheap-shots.

But, then, someone once said, "it doesn't matter what they say, so long as they're talking about you."
So, if one chooses to look at it that way, I suppose Stevie gets the last laugh after all: even the people who genuinely do despise her, talk about her more than anyone else in the band.
Good thing I've never professed to being one of her "biggest fans." At least while sober...

If we're talking about her work from '75-'83, I consider myself a big fan. But after that? Forget about it.

Old 03-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I could give you a long list of comments just off the top of my head.

In private though.
There's room in my pm inbox!