Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey's Vocal Ability

I know that most of the discussions are going to center around Lindsey's guitar playing...that's a given. I'm just curious though, where does everyone stand on his vocal ability?

I personally like his voice a great deal...especially live. Sometimes I prefer listening to live recordings because it's just so raw and emotional.

What about y'all?

Old 07-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I absolutely love Lindsey's voice. I know, right?

I have no idea the tech terms for it. His voice carries a lot of emotion. My favorite to feel are when he is ballsout passionate (i.e. biglove), build-ups (i.e. SGCYM; TFTS), soft and whispery (i.e. lots of those!), playful (i.e. "I'll never change/I never will")

I love how his voice has matured. I guess I just love all the variations of his voice and the emotions he expresses with it. When I hear his voice, I am sure to feel them.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He is no great singer and really never has been. I think, though, that he could benefit from a few lessons, which would teach him diction and how not to scream. Time, IMO, has been less kind to his voice than any other member of FM.

Of course, he's made millions off of his voice, so what the hell do I knoe

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like his voice. Its not the best now, but it isnt bad seeing as how he screams his ass off at most of his shows

I didnt really like it in the original recording of ISA, its kindof high pitched, but I love his voice from Tusk-Tango. His Tango vocals were so sexy, and i think the onlly vocal from that time i DONT like is Empire State, its just blech.

His voice has aged fine though, it could have been worse. I think that his live uptempo songs sound better than say Shut Us Down type songs, IMO but the whispery songs still sound great
Old 07-09-2007, 11:57 PM

If you listen to Crystal, vocally he used to lay back and let his voice glide..... Lindsey was a dream on the white album... He did some amazing stuff on Mirage too...
He's also good with sort of spoken word singing... But overall as a singer... sometimes flat... he belts and screams his voice out of tune... His voice since the Dance has a lot to be desired to my ears...
Old 07-10-2007, 03:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i saw him live for the first time,about a month ago, in Vegas and in San Diego and i was amazed how well he sang and how strong his voice is.In San Diego i was lucky enough to hear and see his soundcheck which lasted for about 1 hour and the concert itself lasts about 2 hours. I would think that if you can do that almost every day for months on end and not lose your voice, you're a pretty good singer. Also, Lindsey's voice is so versatile ; soft - sexy - bluesy - rocking' you name it, he sings it. iow:i really love his voice (as if you had'nt noticed yet )

Life is like a box of chocolates : full of nuts
Old 07-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

Back in the Fritz days especially, he had a pretty amazing voice when you compare it to everything that came after. It's not as unique and interesting as it became, but was technically very good. I personally enjoy his recordings better because his voice is so much more versatile in the studio. Obviously he likes to speed up his voice and all that, but he seems to naturally sing in odd ways in there. Live it tends to be much more monotone. One problem I've always had about the Stevie of the last twenty years is that her voice is always monotone and the same. And recent live Lindsey is very much like that, though not as extreme.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

I'd never thought a whole lot about his singing voice. To me, it wasn't bad or great, in terms of what I like to hear in a singer. But, when I saw him solo for the first time on tour last November and he "belted" out "what am I doing anyway, telling myself it's not too late", I was (almost) pleasantly shocked! His voice was very clear and very strong. That's the most impressed I've ever been as far as his voice goes. Put it this way, I can't complain too much. He sings better than I do!
Old 07-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
If you listen to Crystal, vocally he used to lay back and let his voice glide..... Lindsey was a dream on the white album... He did some amazing stuff on Mirage too...
He's also good with sort of spoken word singing... But overall as a singer... sometimes flat... he belts and screams his voice out of tune... His voice since the Dance has a lot to be desired to my ears...
wow...ITAWTC
Old 07-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
I absolutely love Lindsey's voice. I know, right?

I have no idea the tech terms for it. His voice carries a lot of emotion. My favorite to feel are when he is ballsout passionate (i.e. biglove), build-ups (i.e. SGCYM; TFTS), soft and whispery (i.e. lots of those!), playful (i.e. "I'll never change/I never will")

I love how his voice has matured. I guess I just love all the variations of his voice and the emotions he expresses with it. When I hear his voice, I am sure to feel them.
Well said, me too!!

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~
Old 07-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
His voice carries a lot of emotion. My favorite to feel are when he is ballsout passionate (i.e. biglove), build-ups (i.e. SGCYM; TFTS), soft and whispery (i.e. lots of those!), playful (i.e. "I'll never change/I never will")
See, I really enjoy this too. I always wonder if it's different for me because I truly discovered the band during the Dance and fell in love with his performance all around...guitar and vocals. He lays his guts on stage. His voice was matured but that's what I loved. When I went back to all of the songs I grew up with, the difference in vocals was there obviously. I just thought that it could be different for people that had followed Fritz, B/N or The Mac from the start and up through until now because they have seen and heard the vocal evolution more.

I will say that during this last year his vocals improved SO much. He was hitting notes I didn't think he would attempt again. But, 9 months of playing will help with that.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Senior Ledgie

My favorite vocal of lindsey's is probably found on tom petty's song walls.
I think his voice is strongest in the rang he sings on that. Also, I've often thought that it wasn't Lindsey's voice that made his singing great but the way he carries a melody and then turns it into a falsetto on a dime. That is his signiture vocal greatness!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i have always liked lindsey's vocals. he uses them like colors and textures... and i think he has a lot of abilities that we take for granted.

i especially like the smoothness on some of the law and order tracks... shadow of the west is like butter.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
He is no great singer and really never has been. I think, though, that he could benefit from a few lessons, which would teach him diction and how not to scream. Time, IMO, has been less kind to his voice than any other member of FM.

Of course, he's made millions off of his voice, so what the hell do I knoe
..and time has been kind to Stevie's voice??
Old 07-10-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
..and time has been kind to Stevie's voice??
i love humor... good old fashion sarcastic right to the point humor!!