Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:46 AM
Ledgie

Default Importance of Stevie versus Lindsey

To the casual fan, Stevie Nicks personifies the band. She is the face of the Fleetwood Mac "brand". Accordingly, she is the one that attracts the casual fan to Fleetwood Mac concerts.

The casual fan comes to see Stevie. But they leave the venue talking about Lindsey Buckingham and his incredible talent and stage presence.

We as hard core fans know that Lindsey is the creative genius behind the band. And yes, his guitar work is absolutely brilliant. But at this stage of the game, his stage presence is probably his most important contribution...especially since creating new material is no longer a priority to the other members.

With all due respect, Stevie and Christine are showing their age. Lindsey props them up with his high level of energy and charisma.

Neil Finn seems like a nice enough guy. And from what I understand, he is brilliant on a creative front. But I don't think he has the stage presence to captivate and energize audiences. It's especially tough taking the reins and sharing a leadership role when you're the new kid on the block.

And I understand that Mike Campbell is a great guitarist. Again, does he energize the audience like Lindsey??? Time will tell. My bet says no.

Mick and company should have learned their lesson in 1987 with the addition of Billy Burnett and Rick Vito. Both were talented in their own right. But even with new material, they never achieved a status beyond karaoke.

My wife and I have seen Fleetwood Mac 11 times. In addition, we've seen solo shows by Lindsey (6x), Stevie (2x) and Buckingham McVie (1x). Combined, that's 20 concerts in all. For me, the final chapter has been written for the band Fleetwood Mac. Sadly, they have squandered their legacy and lost their legitimacy. At this point, with their advancing age, I don't believe there's time to recover the Rumours lineup.

I do, however, look forward to new material and future LB and/or Buckvie shows.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very well said. I think you stated how MANY of us feel, here.

It's simply too late in the game for reinvention.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g. fish View Post
To the casual fan, Stevie Nicks personifies the band. She is the face of the Fleetwood Mac "brand". Accordingly, she is the one that attracts the casual fan to Fleetwood Mac concerts.

The casual fan comes to see Stevie. But they leave the venue talking about Lindsey Buckingham and his incredible talent and stage presence.

We as hard core fans know that Lindsey is the creative genius behind the band. And yes, his guitar work is absolutely brilliant. But at this stage of the game, his stage presence is probably his most important contribution...especially since creating new material is no longer a priority to the other members.

With all due respect, Stevie and Christine are showing their age. Lindsey props them up with his high level of energy and charisma.

Neil Finn seems like a nice enough guy. And from what I understand, he is brilliant on a creative front. But I don't think he has the stage presence to captivate and energize audiences. It's especially tough taking the reins and sharing a leadership role when you're the new kid on the block.

And I understand that Mike Campbell is a great guitarist. Again, does he energize the audience like Lindsey??? Time will tell. My bet says no.

Mick and company should have learned their lesson in 1987 with the addition of Billy Burnett and Rick Vito. Both were talented in their own right. But even with new material, they never achieved a status beyond karaoke.

My wife and I have seen Fleetwood Mac 11 times. In addition, we've seen solo shows by Lindsey (6x), Stevie (2x) and Buckingham McVie (1x). Combined, that's 20 concerts in all. For me, the final chapter has been written for the band Fleetwood Mac. Sadly, they have squandered their legacy and lost their legitimacy. At this point, with their advancing age, I don't believe there's time to recover the Rumours lineup.

I do, however, look forward to new material and future LB and/or Buckvie shows.
I agree and I disagree. I agree that Lindsey has been the creative force of Fleetwood Mac since the mid-70's. And I agree that Lindsey has been the main source of energy for the live performances in recent years. And I agree that Neil is, like Lindsey, a creative superstar. Very few musicians can write, produce, and arrange music like Lindsey or Neil. Paul McCartney has famously said that Neil Finn is the best living songwriter.

I disagree that Neil and Mike won't bring at least some of Lindsey's energy. I've seen each of them many times and have always walked about impressed with their energy and charisma. Mike doesn't talk much on stage but is a musical tour de force with that guitar. And Neil is a powerful stage presence as you can see in performances by Crowded House, 7 Worlds Collide, etc. on YouTube. No one is Lindsey Buckingham, but Neil/Mike is about as good a replacement as humanly possible.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
No one is Lindsey Buckingham, but Neil/Mike is about as good a replacement as humanly possible.
But Sugar Mick, it should have never happened. The legacy is ruined. I don't give AF if they replace him with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

THEY RUINED THE BAND BY DOING THIS.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
But Sugar Mick, it should have never happened. The legacy is ruined. I don't give AF if they replace him with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

THEY RUINED THE BAND BY DOING THIS.
Perhaps Lindsey should have simply played the tour rather than backing out. He could have done his solo thing next summer. If Lindsey had done that, the band would still be together and all would be good.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:02 PM
Ledgie

Lindsey was the real deal for Fleetwood Mac. He wrote, produced and performed at a high level. Audiences recognized his authenticity. And they responded to his energy.

This latest incarnation is a cover band. Until they produce new material, Neil and Mike are nothing more than karaoke as it relates to Fleetwood Mac. Perhaps they will bring energy as Sugar Mouse claims, but they are not the real deal.

In 1987, I was so disappointed when I learned that Lindsey had left the band. But he left on his own accord. Giving Fleetwood Mac the benefit of the doubt, I embraced the new lineup with Billy and Rick. And I respect the fact that they tried to write a new chapter with Behind the Mask. But the chemistry wasn't there.

The Rumours lineup, in all its incarnations, has been around since 1975. That's over 40 years to create a legacy. Even if this new band creates new music (contrary to Stevie's assertion that nobody buys new music), they will soon run out of time to establish real legitimacy.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:08 PM

The thing I remember the most about the BTM tour is how much Christine stepped up. She was leading the chat with the audience. She had a solo. She was full of energy. Stevie was floating around like a drugged out balloon for that tour. Billy and Rick were great for energy because they were super excited to be there.

I'm not sure Christine can do that now? As great as she looks, she cheats on keys so much with Brett there, it's embarrassing. Almost as bad as Stevie singing 2 notes for one song.

But it's Fleetwood Mac. I can't imagine they won't have a blockbuster show.

WE SHALL SEE....
Old 06-12-2018, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Perhaps Lindsey should have simply played the tour rather than backing out. He could have done his solo thing next summer. If Lindsey had done that, the band would still be together and all would be good.
I strongly suspect if Lindsey would have known he'd be fired, he would have just toured. After all, Stevie has held up the show many times and I'm certain he never would have pushed to get her fired because of it. From the limited info we have on the situation, it seems Lindsey was blindsided by the whole thing. The way the whole situation is being handled just smacks of dirty business.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:27 PM
Ledgie

You're right. Lindsey thought his was negotiating based on his strong belief in touring behind new music. Then he tried to integrate a solo tour...and they fired him. His wife's "raw deal" comment confirms that he was blindsided.

And don't forget "There's nobody I would rather tour with than Tom Petty". After Tom died, the writing was on the wall. Now she's acting out on her grief.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree and I disagree. I agree that Lindsey has been the creative force of Fleetwood Mac since the mid-70's. And I agree that Lindsey has been the main source of energy for the live performances in recent years. And I agree that Neil is, like Lindsey, a creative superstar. Very few musicians can write, produce, and arrange music like Lindsey or Neil. Paul McCartney has famously said that Neil Finn is the best living songwriter.

I disagree that Neil and Mike won't bring at least some of Lindsey's energy. I've seen each of them many times and have always walked about impressed with their energy and charisma. Mike doesn't talk much on stage but is a musical tour de force with that guitar. And Neil is a powerful stage presence as you can see in performances by Crowded House, 7 Worlds Collide, etc. on YouTube. No one is Lindsey Buckingham, but Neil/Mike is about as good a replacement as humanly possible.
That McCartney quote surprised me....so did a quick Google search. I think you'll find it's FALSE!
Your sources appear to really lack credibility buddy....and this is on your beloved Finn forum!
https://www.frenzforum.com/topic/pau...alks-neil-finn
Old 06-12-2018, 01:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

I've also seen Buckingham and Finn multiple times each, and Finn definitely holds his own as far as stage presence. Neil loves interacting with the audience - he used to do a bit (not sure if he still does) where he asks fans to toss their CDs of their own music on the stage (musicians in the audience knew to bring them along for the potential exposure) and he'd play something. At one solo show, he took my nephew's CD and played it, attempting to play/sing along, and doing a really good job... and giving my nephew one of the biggest thrills of his musical career. Finn turned what could've been a pretty annoying bit into a lot of fun for the crowd through his talent and sheer earnestness. I'm eager to see how he does with FM.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
That McCartney quote surprised me....so did a quick Google search. I think you'll find it's FALSE!
Your sources appear to really lack credibility buddy....and this is on your beloved Finn forum!
https://www.frenzforum.com/topic/pau...alks-neil-finn
I know all about the McCartney quote where he said that Neil Finn is the greatest living songwriter. Paul was asked about it last year and he smiled and sort of denied having said that. Very unclear. More likely he said it and doesn't recall it.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I disagree ....I have seen Finn live more than FM/LB. Finn is brilliant, he is comical with plenty of banter and very entertaining. He does not have LBs energy nor does he work the stage and jump all over the place during a solo.
They are totally different and not comparable. I am not saying Finn won't be good but he shows none of LBs stage persona, he has a unique style.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
I disagree ....I have seen Finn live more than FM/LB. Finn is brilliant, he is comical with plenty of banter and very entertaining. He does not have LBs energy nor does he work the stage and jump all over the place during a solo.
They are totally different and not comparable. I am not saying Finn won't be good but he shows none of LBs stage persona, he has a unique style.
Agree with that. Neil isn't animated on stage. He's very entertaining and a consummate professional but he doesn't jump around a lot.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanketMan View Post
I've also seen Buckingham and Finn multiple times each, and Finn definitely holds his own as far as stage presence. Neil loves interacting with the audience - he used to do a bit (not sure if he still does) where he asks fans to toss their CDs of their own music on the stage (musicians in the audience knew to bring them along for the potential exposure) and he'd play something. At one solo show, he took my nephew's CD and played it, attempting to play/sing along, and doing a really good job... and giving my nephew one of the biggest thrills of his musical career. Finn turned what could've been a pretty annoying bit into a lot of fun for the crowd through his talent and sheer earnestness. I'm eager to see how he does with FM.

Perfect for more intimate shows...but I'm not sure his style is really suited to bring it to larger arena shows. Lindsey's animated stage presence captivates the crowd as you don't need to be close up to see he's a bit mad.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood