Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default L.A. Times review

Album review: Lindsey Buckingham's 'Seeds We Sow'

September 5, 2011 | 4:22pm

It’s been a good year for Fleetwood Mac, even without the actual existence of Fleetwood Mac, which last toured in 2009 and hasn’t released a new studio album since 2003’s "Say You Will." In May, the hit Fox series "Glee" devoted an episode to the band’s 1977 record "Rumours," the same day that singer Stevie Nicks released "In Your Dreams," her best-received solo disc in decades. And echoes of the group’s lustrous West Coast pop have cropped up recently on records by buzzy young acts like the Belle Brigade and Fleet Foxes. No wonder, then, that Lindsey Buckingham told Rolling Stone last week that Fleetwood Mac will likely return in 2012.

Until then, here’s Buckingham’s latest solo album, his third in five years and the first one he’s releasing himself following a lengthy stint with Warner Bros. Like all of the singer-guitarist’s own work, "Seeds We Sow" is thornier than Buckingham’s material for Fleetwood Mac, with an emphasis on his percussive, sometimes-discordant acoustic guitar playing and on his intimately recorded vocals, which in a stripped-down rendition of the Rolling Stones’ "She Smiled Sweetly" push intriguingly at whatever border separates passionate from creepy. (Buckingham’s originals reflect his usual blend of midlife introspection and limousine-liberal hand-wringing.)

Several cuts, though, suggest that the man who wrote "Second Hand News" and "Go Your Own Way" has indeed been thinking big of late: In "That’s the Way That Love Goes" he layers an insistent vocal melody over a zippy fuzz-pop groove, while "Gone Too Far" has the lush light-rock feel of Fleetwood Mac’s radio-bait late-’80s phase. Stand by to see what these "Seeds" grow.

--Mikael Wood

Lindsey Buckingham

"Seeds We Sow"

Three stars (out of four)

Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
sometimes-discordant acoustic guitar playing and on his intimately recorded vocals, which in a stripped-down rendition of the Rolling Stones’ "She Smiled Sweetly" push intriguingly at whatever border separates passionate from creepy.
For me, SSS runs for the border and crosses the dividing line into creepy.

As for the limosine liberal hand-wringing, ok I'll give him the "limosine liberal" but I wouldn't call One Take hand-wringing.

Michele
Old 09-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/r...Top+Stories%29

Lindsey Buckingham, Seeds We Sow
* * * of 4 POP
Buckingham has, happily, been recording at a steadier pace in recent years. Seeds is his third solo album since 2006 and, like its predecessors, is both intricate and supremely listenable. The Fleetwood Mac guitarist remains one of the most lyrical musicians around, fashioning arrangements that veer from gentle beauty to edgy effervescence. His melodies have a similar pungency. — Elysa Gardner
>>Download:One Take, End of Time
Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default disjointed review

this person seem to be just throwing names of the songs out there in hope that some of them actually do sound like each other, but no luck - almost none of the song comparison/similarities listed are really there... [either that or i really can't hear]:

http://blogcritics.org/music/article...gham-seeds-we/

Music Review: Lindsey Buckingham - Seeds We Sow

Author: Kit O'Toole — Published: Sep 05, 2011 at 6:24 pm 1 comment

BC Music Premium

Since he surfaced into the public consciousness through his work with Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham has established himself as a one-of-a-kind talent. His offbeat arrangements, quirky but deeply personal lyrics, and superior guitar playing exemplify an artist who enjoys taking chances. From his ambitious Fleetwood Mac projects like Tusk to his eclectic solo career, Buckingham continues forging his own path. His sixth solo album, Seeds We Sow, furthers this journey with an intimate sound and superior musicianship.

For the first time, Buckingham is releasing the album on his own label, and took full reins on producing, mixing, and performing. These changes enhance the deeply intimate listening experience—the quiet, subtle arrangements place Buckingham's multidimensional voice and intricate guitar picking up front. Unlike the lush production of his 1981 hit "Trouble" or the almost robotic feel of 1984's "Go Insane," Buckingham performs delicate ballads like the title track, his hammering of the guitar strings enhancing the pain expressed in the lyrics:

Soldiers of fortune they do conceal
Everything they’re afraid to show
Everything they once gave now they just steal
Oh the seeds we sow

"Stars Are Crazy," another ballad, sounds strangely hypnotic with Buckingham's dizzyingly fast guitar plucking and his soaring voice. Similarly, "When She Comes Down" is propelled by a gentle rhythm, his multi-tracked vocals floating ethereally over the gentle acoustic guitar.

That pounding, rhythmic sound continues on "In Our Own Time," with Buckingham expressing frustration with a glimmer of hope: "It wouldn’t make any difference we crossed that line/From the fire we will rise again in our own time."

While he performs dark, stripped-down material on Seeds We Sow, fans of Buckingham's more mainstream work will find much to like. "Illumination" is slightly reminiscent of "Trouble" in its tight harmonies and pop hooks and memorable chords, while the uptempo "That's the Way That Love Goes" sounds like an edgier track off Rumors. Here, Buckingham demonstrates the range of his voice's inflections—he can sound soft and tender one moment, then radiate anger in another. "I'd like to take your pain away," he croons in the beginning, leading to him chanting "In the dungeon couldn’t believe it no/Took a look and then saw your secret" in the chorus. Fleetwood Mac fans will particularly appreciate "Rock Away Blind," which sounds like an update of "Second Hand News" minus the strong drums. One can definitely picture Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, John McVie, and Mick Fleetwood providing harmonies and adding more heft to the song on future Fleetwood Mac reunion tours.

Buckingham may write and perform delicate ballads, but "One Take" demonstrates that he can still rock. The rage present in such tracks as "Wrong" from his underrated 1992 album Out of the Cradle shines here. "No I have no reputation and I’m not on any list/That’s because I’ve got a publicist who covers up the avarice of where I put my fist," he spits out. "And if you don’t see me it doesn’t mean I’m not there/It only means that when I steal from you I don’t want you to know because I really really care." His lyrics apparently address greed and recklessness, arguing the need for moral responsibility. Interestingly, "Gone Too Far" immediately follows, with Buckingham crying for redemption: "Save me/It’s gone too far," he cries over perhaps the most lush arrangement on the entire album.
Perhaps no other track summarizes Seeds We Sow's overall theme of reflection than "End of Time," which could be seen as a companion piece to "In Our Own Time." Like the latter song, "End of Time" expresses both despair and hope for our current times:
Sliding down the karma slide
Seems like it never ends
When we get to the other side
Maybe then we’ll make amends
The midtempo song finds Buckingham musing on his mortality, longing for his youth. However, he sings, "When they finally come to bury us/Maybe then we’ll tell the truth." Overall, he argues, love transcends death: "Even though I may be dead and gone/And though we may be far apart/My love for you is strong." Is redemption possible, both in love and life? Buckingham poses these questions in Seeds We Sow, but does not provide answers. Still, even the title Seeds We Sow challenges listeners to ponder these complicated issues.
Buckingham's work with Fleetwood Mac certainly merits its critical and commercial success. But his fascinating solo catalog should not be overlooked, and Seeds We Sow ranks as his most sophisticated and intriguing album to date.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
this person seem to be just throwing names of the songs out there in hope that some of them actually do sound like each other, but no luck - almost none of the song comparison/similarities listed are really there... [either that or i really can't hear]:

Well, I agree with the Wrong and One Take comparison. I made that before hearing all of One Take, but I agree with you that musically they are nothing alike. I felt the messages and attitudes were similar. Michele
Old 09-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, I agree with the Wrong and One Take comparison. I made that before hearing all of One Take, but I agree with you that musically they are nothing alike. I felt the messages and attitudes were similar. Michele
yeah, wrong and one take is the only one that kinda works, and i'm thinking primarily of musical comparisons, not lyrics. but rock away blind and SHN? illumination and trouble?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Chicago Tribune review

Album review: Lindsey Buckingham, 'Seeds We Sow'

Greg Kot

10:27 p.m. CDT, September 5, 2011
3.5 stars (out of 4)
In the increasing down time between Fleetwood Mac tours and albums, Lindsey Buckingham has become unusually prolific as a solo artist, doubling his career output in the last five years by producing three albums. The latest, “Seeds We Sow” (Eagle Rock Entertainment), is essentially a one-man-band affair, with Buckingham donning his mad-scientist lab coat to orchestrate mood swings on voice, guitar and percussion.

Unencumbered by the commercial and ego demands in Mac, Buckingham affirms his talent for turning eccentricity into twisted pop songs. He tackles big themes: how time reveals consequences; the grudging arrival of enlightenment. He favors undulating guitars, voices woven into choirs, a shimmering sense of space. Not that he’s gone soft. Instead, he’s restless, anxious, as exemplified by the protagonist in “Stars Are Crazy” who awakens in the middle of the night to torture himself with questions he can’t answer.

The turbulence lurking just beneath the surface crashes through on “One Take,” a nasty song about a despicable character (A politician? A rock star? Buckingham himself?) who’s “got a publicist who covers up the avarice.” The jumpy beat gives way to a lovely vocal interlude, only to have Buckingham shatter the fine china with a crazed guitar solo.

Buckingham has a knack for disrupting beauty, intruding on the serene. A deceptively hushed vocal brings “Seeds We Sow” to a seething finish. Tense guitar-playing and furtive percussion overtake “In Our Own Time.” And even as mortality closes in on “End of Time,” the narrator still can’t let go of the lies and hostility that wrecked a relationship.

A cover of the Rolling Stones’ “She Smiled Sweetly” makes for a particularly apt closer. The guitarist is a huge fan of the Stones’ mid-‘60s pop era, a time of gloriously jaded singles and social commentaries. He plays “She Smiled Sweetly” as a sparse, haunted, 3 a.m. reckoning, exhaling the lines as if he were expiring. “Don’t worry,” the song’s femme fatale advises as the narrator stresses out, his fate sealed.

greg@gregkot.com

Old 09-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Album review: Lindsey Buckingham, 'Seeds We Sow'

Greg Kot

10:27 p.m. CDT, September 5, 2011
3.5 stars (out of 4)
In the increasing down time between Fleetwood Mac tours and albums, Lindsey Buckingham has become unusually prolific as a solo artist, doubling his career output in the last five years by producing three albums. The latest, “Seeds We Sow” (Eagle Rock Entertainment), is essentially a one-man-band affair, with Buckingham donning his mad-scientist lab coat to orchestrate mood swings on voice, guitar and percussion.

Unencumbered by the commercial and ego demands in Mac, Buckingham affirms his talent for turning eccentricity into twisted pop songs. He tackles big themes: how time reveals consequences; the grudging arrival of enlightenment. He favors undulating guitars, voices woven into choirs, a shimmering sense of space. Not that he’s gone soft. Instead, he’s restless, anxious, as exemplified by the protagonist in “Stars Are Crazy” who awakens in the middle of the night to torture himself with questions he can’t answer.

The turbulence lurking just beneath the surface crashes through on “One Take,” a nasty song about a despicable character (A politician? A rock star? Buckingham himself?) who’s “got a publicist who covers up the avarice.” The jumpy beat gives way to a lovely vocal interlude, only to have Buckingham shatter the fine china with a crazed guitar solo.

Buckingham has a knack for disrupting beauty, intruding on the serene. A deceptively hushed vocal brings “Seeds We Sow” to a seething finish. Tense guitar-playing and furtive percussion overtake “In Our Own Time.” And even as mortality closes in on “End of Time,” the narrator still can’t let go of the lies and hostility that wrecked a relationship.

A cover of the Rolling Stones’ “She Smiled Sweetly” makes for a particularly apt closer. The guitarist is a huge fan of the Stones’ mid-‘60s pop era, a time of gloriously jaded singles and social commentaries. He plays “She Smiled Sweetly” as a sparse, haunted, 3 a.m. reckoning, exhaling the lines as if he were expiring. “Don’t worry,” the song’s femme fatale advises as the narrator stresses out, his fate sealed.

greg@gregkot.com
i like this one a lot
Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default allmusicguide 4 star review

Review

by Thom Jurek

Since resuming his solo recording career with 2006's Under the Skin, songwriter and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham has worked steadily but quietly. After the gorgeous Gift of Screws in 2008, he toured briefly and returned to the shadows; but the three years between it and 2011's Seeds We Sow was fraught with change. Buckingham left the major Warner umbrella and created his own label, Mind Kit Records. He recorded, performed, and produced Seeds We Sow at home. The sound of this album is very different form anything we've heard from him before, even if his musical and lyrical signatures are all over it; they pick up where Gift of Screws left off. That said, sonically it couldn't be more different than anything he's done before: it sounds like a self-made recording, which is a very good thing. Buckingham's classy songwriting and guitar playing are trademarks, but so is his ambition as a record producer. Seeds We Sow is delightfully ragged. "When She Comes Down" has a bassline that's actually distorted in the final mix, as if it were a polished demo. That said, its gorgeous melody and lyrics, carried by layers of voices and guitars, create a blissed-out love song. "In Our Own Time" is a labyrinthine rock tune whose guitars simulate strings, as organic and synthetic percussion create twin pulses that contrast beautifully with his melodies (there are two of them) and which criss-cross and breed. "That's the Way Love Goes" is the only track here with other musicians: drummer Walfredo Reyes, keyboardist Brett Tuggle, and bassist Neale Heywood. It passes for a big, explosive rocker on this set, full of Buckingham's knotty Baroque pop touches, but it's a very basic production. "Stars Are Crazy" is about the results poisonous romantic relationships reap. Buckingham's lyric understands that they are all too human; long after they end, they pick at our emotional scabs. His multi-layered acoustic guitars and harmonies act as other voices, empathically reflecting back to us the haunting regret and desire for redemption in the middle of the night. "One Take" is a punchy, snarling, confessional rocker. "End of Time" is a classic Buckingham tune. It may be about karma, but it feels like a guttersnipe Fleetwood Mac delivering a pop song. He delivers -- and makes his own -- a solo acoustic cover the Rolling Stones' "She Smiled Sweetly," to mark the end of a remarkable, homegrown project that challenges listeners to expand their definitions of Buckingham and include him as an indie singer/songwriter.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey Buckingham
Seeds We Sow
(Mind Kit)
★★★★ 1/2 Stars (out of 5)

It's a good year for the two pillars of Fleetwood Mac's best-known records.

Stevie Nicks, forever the group's most identifiable face in her space-cadet witch regalia, surprised skeptics in May with the unexpectedly solid In Your Dreams. Lindsey Buckingham, the real visionary behind the lush, sparkling Mac sound that once sold records into the platinum stratosphere, does not surprise us at all: with Seeds We Sow, he delivers yet another terrific collection of songs.

Buckingham's solo career has been a matter of one reliable gem after another, so there's always a danger of simply taking his modest little masterworks for granted. The multi-instrumentalist and gifted songwriter never returns to form because the standard has yet to slip.

Like his last two releases, Under the Skin (2006) and Gift of Screws (2008), the new disc - his sixth studio recording and first self-released effort - is defined by Buckingham's hyperactive acoustic fingerpicking and ultra-melodic hooks. The wonderfully familiar pattern is quickly established by the title track, which opens the album, and In Our Own Time, which follows it.

As usual, one of Buckingham's most intriguing quirks is that it's sometimes hard to lock into the groove of his songs: a chorus will come around and you're looking for the natural place to move your head with the rhythm. In Our Own Time and That's the Way That Love Goes are perfect examples. On the latter, the guitarist wails contentedly with two bare-bones electric solos.

Playing virtually all the instruments and doing his own producing and mixing, Buckingham manages to make an insular work sound far-reaching and timeless. Rockers like Illumination and One Take alternate with dreamier tracks like Gone Too Far, which is the most obvious Mac sound-alike on the disc, and When She Comes Down, which evokes the Irish folksong Wild Mountain Thyme as well as Brian Wilson's sunnier choral beds.

Once again, Buckingham raids the deep tracks in the Rolling Stones' mid-`60s catalogue. Having covered I Am Waiting on Under the Skin, he closes the new album with a haunting version of She Smiled Sweetly, surely one of the most tuneful beauties in the Mick Jagger and Keith Richards oeuvre.

If the recurring themes of betrayal and distance add a blue note to the proceedings, the music on this disc overflows with joy. Never take it for granted.

- Bernard Perusse
Montreal Gazette

http://www.canada.com/Reviews+Montre...762/story.html
Old 09-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Guitar Omnivore

http://www.guitaromnivore.com/2011/0...medium=twitter

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2011

Best Guitar Cds of the Week - Week of 09/06/2011
Lindsey Buckingham - Seeds We Sow

Lindsey Buckingham fans are in for a treat. All the things you would want from a Buckingham solo album,the slightly oddball arrangements,the lush Beach Boys inspired background vocals,the unique finger style guitar, are not only here but are better than ever. Headphone listeners in particular will have fun as Buckingham,who handled all of the mixing and production duties,has his trademark guitar tone doing all manner of cool tricks in the stereo field.It is,of course,the guitar in particular that caught my attention. There is an impressive amount of drool-worthy playing that never takes away from the focus of the song.

I was also surprised to notice that this is the first time Buckingham,a noted control freak,has released something on his own label. The freedom seems to suit him well. Instead of leading to self indulgence,Buckingham has released his most intimated and focused solo album thus far. No word on a solo tour yet but Buckingham reports he's hoping for a Fleetwood Mac tour in 2011.

EDIT: huh - no word on the solo tour?!?!?! - people should really read up on what they are writing from time to time!

Last edited by elle; 09-06-2011 at 11:21 AM..
Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default doesn't like production?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/al...e-sow-20110906

Lindsey Buckingham
Seeds We Sow
Mind Kit
Rolling Stone: 3/5 star rating

By WILL HERMES
SEPTEMBER 6, 2011
Lindsey Buckingham's 2008 Gift of Screws, assembled with some of his Fleetwood Mac compadres, was a shockingly good set from a dude who hardly needed to prove anything. This self-released and -produced LP is a true solo affair. The best moments - the title track, the Rumours-echoing "Rock Away Blind" - show a sweet guitar picker, a haunting high-tenor and an unmistakable melodic touch. But the recording suffers from thin, uneven sound and, on tracks like "Stars Are Crazy," a surfeit of muddling reverb. Sometimes a man needs to go it alone, but sometimes it's good to bring your buds.

Listen to "Seeds We Sow":
Old 09-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default IOOT review

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/n...medium=twitter

Lindsey Buckingham
'In Our Own Time'
SEPTEMBER 6, 2011

Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham has mellowed a lot with age, but he's never stopped being an artistically restless type. "In Our Own Time," a highlight from his new self-released solo album Seeds We Sow, finds an interesting middle ground between the serene, cascading finger-picked guitar parts of his more recent work with the offbeat, manic qualities of his early solo material. There's some studio trickery in evidence on the recording, but this live performance clip showcases Buckingham's ability to play dazzling, super-fast arpeggios on his guitar.

Related
• Lindsey Buckingham: Fleetwood Mac Will Return Next Year
Old 09-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Recording Buddies

"But the recording suffers from thin, uneven sound and, on tracks like "Stars Are Crazy," a surfeit of muddling reverb. Sometimes a man needs to go it alone, but sometimes it's good to bring your buds."

While Mick and John are mainly studio players when it comes to LB's recent work, back in the heydey, I think they brought a different perspective that made the whole greater than the sum of it's parts. I personally feel the same way about Richard Dashut's involvement. That may be (for me) what sets OOTC (and LB's songs on FM albums through 1990) apart from LB's recent efforts (beginning with GOS original effort in the mid to late 90s). While there are some gems, the entire CDs have not been that I would listen to them without skipping some songs. Some of the live songs have the Neale Heywood influence (that "musical sensibilities") that make them that much more enjoyable. I will probably end up liking the live "Stars Are Crazy" better than the studio version, once it is released with the DVD.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
While Mick and John are mainly studio players when it comes to LB's recent work, back in the heydey, I think they brought a different perspective that made the whole greater than the sum of it's parts. I personally feel the same way about Richard Dashut's involvement. That may be (for me) what sets OOTC (and LB's songs on FM albums through 1990) apart from LB's recent efforts (beginning with GOS original effort in the mid to late 90s). While there are some gems, the entire CDs have not been that I would listen to them without skipping some songs. Some of the live songs have the Neale Heywood influence (that "musical sensibilities") that make them that much more enjoyable. I will probably end up liking the live "Stars Are Crazy" better than the studio version, once it is released with the DVD.
while i am really really happy that DVD/CD with live versions are coming out (that IOOT live video LB just released sounds just perfect!), i have to say that SWS might be the only LB or FM album where i don't skip any songs! [well, besides stars are crazy sometimes]. but, as i keep repeating to anybody who would listen, while i think it works as a whole, i would be even happier with this album if he didn't process his vocals so heavily on many of the songs. and that's probably part of the reason why i'm so happy w/ songs like illumination or one take (and SSS) on the album - he didn't overprocess his vocals on these!!