Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christine McVie 1984 Solo Album

this thread actually was much longer, but i took out all of the troll posts and our responses to the troll posts. trying this new format, i think it's easier to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicstorm
Ok, wow, I'm freakin' out!! I just bought Christine's solo album in 1984, self titled Christine McVie and OMG it's fantastic to say the least. It's so up beat compared to "In the meantime" but it would be foolish for me to compare the 2 because I really can't. They seem to be very different albums. I don't have much of an opinion right now on the album as I've only listened to it twice but I can tell you this right off the bat, it is unremarkable, unfathomable, unbelievable, astonishing and absolute pure talent that Christine's voice is the same as it was in 2004, twenty years on! That is absolutely amazing that her voice hasn't aged a day. This just goes to prove once again that Christine is a true talented songbird of our time. I completely understand now that she will always be the glue that keeps or kept Fleetwood Mac together and that even on her own, she is pure magic. I'm so excited, there are some great songs on the album. I'm so over whelmed!! I need some wine!! I love love love love "The smile I live for" OMG magic!!, I'm breathless. I have no words just yet!! But "in the meantime" as it were, can some of you tell me a little more about the album and what was going on in Christine's life at that time it was written and produced. I noticed some very interesting credits for the album and noticed some of the crew from Fleetwood Mac were credited. I think we have a very good feeling on what Fleetwood Mac without Stevie would have sounded like back then...

"I'm soooooooooo excited..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcviefan
Ian, I thought you already had this album, but better late than never. It definitely is very different from ITM. It's more Fleetwood Mac like. She had some great guests on this album too. I love Steve Winwood's contributions especially. He is an idol of Christine's. She recorded this album in Switzerland in 1983. That's when she met her second husband, Eddy Quintela. However, none of these songs are about him. As you can see by the writing credits, most of the songs were written by Chris & Todd Sharp. "Ask Anybody" was written about Dennis Wilson, by the way.

My favorite song on the album is "The Smile I Live For". But they're all good. I think it's a very, very, very good pop album."Got A Hold On Me" was a top ten hit for her too.
Quote:
Yeah I'm always late to the Christine party!! I'm so late to the party I'm helping the cleaners pick up now!! It's terrible! I still have a lot of catching up to do, it's soooooo sad!! But hey I'm young, I've got the time! Thanks for the info though, was good to know about where it was recorded, explains the cover image.
and then that's where it all degenerated into madness! so let the discussion continue. . .
Old 10-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

forgot that a new thread had been started for this topic! here's the rest of the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace
Electronicstorm, I TOLD YOU you'd like Christine's earlier work! LOL! (I almost feel like breaking my iron-clad NO SMILEY rule!!! I am so happy you found the album at last!)

I'm creating a new thread to answer your post because the thread YOU started was taken over by someone who deserves to be completely ignored. Everybody answer here, not on the other thread, please.
Quote:
Nicepace, that was very sweet of you, thank you so much for moving the thread! And now, YES you are sooooooooooooo right about this album, it's insane! This '84 solo album is amazing. I feel like I'm on poppers again Laughing Kidding, but seriously, I do feel a little high!! I think it's because of listening to this album. I knew this time would come though, I just wanted to wait until I treasured every single moment with "In the meantime" which I did. "In the meantime" holds an extreme bond to my heart, it's scary. I have never had an artist do that to me with music, well other than Madonna, but that's another story. I must say it was actually very sad for me to see "In the meantime" CD take to the back burner (for now), I mean it has been with me for almost a year, everywhere I went, in the car, at work, in my free time but what a time and memories I have with it. I feel so fortunate. And then here comes a marvelous CD to take it's place with the '84 solo album. This album is so much fun. Laughing In a 12 hour period I'm not sure how many times I've listened to it. I've lost count already, it's on repeat. Very Happy A song that I'm really enjoying right now is "The Challenge". Very very very very very very very HOT track. Oh gosh, I'll keep on posting in here while my euphoria lasts! OMG I'm so excited and for the first time I can actually say that I'll never think of saying, "I'm so excited" without thinking about Christine!!
Quote:
Ok I'm sorry but seriously, "The Challenge" should have been a number 1 hit! It is a completely stunning song! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!! I'm gleaming!! *ear to ear* The echo of "Challenge" is like butter!
Quote:
Nice guitar solo by Eric Clapton on "The Challege". By the way, the Challenge was the name of John McVie's boat. That's where Chris came up with the name for the song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail
I really like the 1984 album but I like ITM better.

the 1984 album seems to me to be a joint effort with her and Todd Sharp whereas ITM is (as Macfan says) centered around the marvellous voice.

I think the keyboards on ITM could be a little more prominent but it's only a minor grumble.

who cares with that voice?
Quote:
Oh I think there is no comparing the two albums. They are completely different from each other. I actually think I love ITM better too, because it is so personal and not so collaborated. Yet there is nothing with collaborating with a few people and I think the '84 album proves just that. It seems so effortless for everyone playing on the album. It however doesn't make the album very personal but it sure shows the musical talent of everyone involved which still produces something amazing. I think Homer once said, "I could listen to Christine read the phone book" I love that!! I just love listening to her sing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer McVie
So you're not in, on the phone book thing?
Quote:
Totally am, that's why I found it so amusing when you said it! I meant I just love listening to her voice!
Quote:
I just wanted to say I'm stuck on one song right now and that's "The Challenge" I can't move past it right now! Laughing It is such a cool song. I love everything about it. It's pop appearance, fantastic arrangements, amazing guitar and ofcourse my favorite, the wonderful and beautiful Christine on vocals. I also just love the keyboards on this song, infact the entire album. I love that Christine's keyboard play is so pronounced, it completely livens up the tracks and album.

Perhaps another reason I love this song so much is because it's really how I feel about love and relationships right now too. I love the lyrics! Well yet another thank you to Christine for making my emotions clearer!
Quote:
Ian, I see that you've now added the 1984 Album cover to your signature. You must REALLY love the album. Do you have her first solo album, The Christine Perfect album?
Quote:
I don't have the first solo album just yet, that'll be my next adventure! What can I expect from that album?
Quote:
The Christine Perfect Album is totally different from the other 2 albums. I'd describe it as a blues/soft rock sound. It is definitely not a pop record. There are some fantastic songs on there, although I don't think it's as consistently good as the other 2 albums. The keyboards are terrific! There's no way you'll complain that you don't hear her keyboards. I'll be surprised it you don't like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace
You're going to LOVE the Christine Perfect album. Guaranteed. It's full of Christine's fabulous singing and piano playing. It will probably even make you like the blues (if you don't already).

It's available on a Japanese reissue that has really good sound quality. Both Mary Anne and I have raved about the sound on the reissue here on earlier threads.

I might suggest buying it soon because it will probably go out of print and you don't want to be stuck with buying an expensive used copy on eBay. You can always hide it in the back of your sock drawer and not listen to it for a few months while you enjoy the Christine McVie album.
Quote:
Uh, oh! It looks like it is very close to being out of print already. Amazon has it listed, but it says you have to wait 1-3 months for it to arrive. This was a limited edition release. Most copies that were printed have probably already been sold. They do pop up on eBay now though.
Quote:
God I have been soooooo sick lately with this damn gross and disgusting flu that has been going around. I got such a chest infection but it was nothing antibiotics couldn't fix. I hate taking meds, I thought I could fight it but I couldn't. I'm "a weakling weighing 98 pounds..." Any who's all better now! Very Happy

Thanks about the info about the first solo album. It sounds absolutely amazingly interesting. I can't wait to hear it. I will defiantly keep my eye out for it. I will look for it in South Africa too. I know Fleetwood Mac is or was big down there. Maybe Christine caught on too...

But anyways, I'm still listening to the '84 solo album hardcore! What a fab album I can't stand it. I love it just as much as ITM but for all different reasons. I'm having a tough time picking my favorite album. ITM is still # 1 with me. But this '84 album is definitely of same caliber but on a different spectrum. Although I haven't gotten too far with the album because I keep on playing a few tracks over and over and over and over again, I'm still loving the song "The Challenge" I can't get over how awesome this song is. It is so completely catchy, stunning vocals, awesome keyboards, awesome guitar and I just love the lyrics and vocal arrangements. I can't get enough of this song. I'm just loving all the keyboards on this album. It's so wonderful to hear Christine smacking those ivories! God have mercy on my soul, heart and mind, cause it's all gonna explode!!

I love Christine McVie!!!!
Old 10-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember this. That idiot troll ruined the first thread, then Joanne started a new one.

Aisling, you seem to be making pretty good headway in importing these threads.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i'm trying! i'm going to have to take a break now, but i'll come back later and do some more. there are a couple older ones that i want to bring over, and there's a 5 page "fav. christine song' thread that i will attempt as well.