The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Status Quo covered Don't Stop on an album with that name, the first of 2 albums of covers they did in the 90s.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
Status Quo covered Don't Stop on an album with that name, the first of 2 albums of covers they did in the 90s.
Ah yes Status Quo.

Didn't Christine once say (a long time ago) that Francis Rossi and Rick Parfit looked like a "couple of f*ckin ponces"

Gail
Old 04-10-2007, 05:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Ah yes Status Quo.

Didn't Christine once say (a long time ago) that Francis Rossi and Rick Parfit looked like a "couple of f*ckin ponces"

Gail
Yes, I think she did. I don't remember the exact interview though. It definitely sounds like something she'd say.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
Yes, I think she did. I don't remember the exact interview though. It definitely sounds like something she'd say.
I beleive someone on Chris' site found an interview with Status Quo who reported that they were "mortified" that she'd said that to them because they thought she was great.

the interview was reasonably recent but the comment was made sometime in the sixties.

Gail
Old 04-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I beleive someone on Chris' site found an interview with Status Quo who reported that they were "mortified" that she'd said that to them because they thought she was great.

the interview was reasonably recent but the comment was made sometime in the sixties.

Gail
You're right. Now I remember. I guess that interview is gone forever now. At first I thought that interview might have been from that "Hollywood poofers" interview.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Gail
Hey, I love Chris A LOT--as everyone here knows. But I've seen/read a few homophobic statements from her that piss me off...there's that negative lesbian comment from a 1976 (?) People Magazine article, and then there's the flamboyant video producer in the Love Will Show Us How video (hardy har har)...and now this? Hey, I don't love--or even like--Status Quo, but come on. She's got to know a large number of gay men love her. And many of those gay men are pretty darn feminine.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 04-10-2007 at 10:08 PM..
Old 04-11-2007, 02:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Hey, I love Chris A LOT--as everyone here knows. But I've seen/read a few homophobic statements from her that piss me off...there's that negative lesbian comment from a 1976 (?) People Magazine article, and then there's the flamboyant video producer in the Love Will Show Us How video (hardy har har)...and now this? Hey, I don't love--or even like--Status Quo, but come on. She's got to know a large number of gay men love her. And many of those gay men are pretty darn feminine.
The "ponces" quote was made a long time ago. Back in the sixties homosexual men were not "gay" they were known as "poofs" (in the UK). But back then you could get away with calling black people n*gg*rs. Times have changed (thank goodness)

I agree that the lesbian comment in People Magazine was unecessary but it honestly did not occur to me that the producer from Love Will Show us How was supposed to be gay.

I don't think that a couple of comments, the last one being more than 30 years ago, makes a case for Chris being homophobic.

Gail
Old 04-11-2007, 05:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The "ponces" quote was made a long time ago. Back in the sixties homosexual men were not "gay" they were known as "poofs" (in the UK). But back then you could get away with calling black people n*gg*rs. Times have changed (thank goodness)

I agree that the lesbian comment in People Magazine was unecessary but it honestly did not occur to me that the producer from Love Will Show us How was supposed to be gay.

I don't think that a couple of comments, the last one being more than 30 years ago, makes a case for Chris being homophobic.

Gail
Yes, all of those comments were from long, long ago, back in the 1960's, 1970's & 1980's. I don't like them either, but times were different then. Remember that picture of Chris made up like Aunt Jemima? I consider that racist & I find it embarrassing. She definitely wasn't politically correct then, but at that time nobody else was either. Times have changed. Look at Don Imus now.

By the way, that guy in the "Love Will Show Us How" video was Paul Bartel. He was gay & eventually died of AIDS.

Last edited by macfan 57; 04-11-2007 at 03:14 PM..
Old 04-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, all of those comments were from long, long ago, back in the 1960's, 1970's & 1980's. I don't like them either, but times were different then. Remember that picture of Chris made up like Aunt Jemima? I consider that racist & I find it embarrassing. She definitely wasn't politically incorrect then, but at that time nobody else was either. Times have changed. Look at Don Imus now.

By the way, that guy in the "Love Will Show Us How" video was Paul Bartel. He was gay & eventually died of AIDS.
I'd forgotten about the Aunt Jemina incident - yes that was embarassing. But as you say people were unthinkingly racist, sexist and homophobic in those days.

I think sometimes political correctness can go too far. We have local councils in England not wanting to have "Christmas lights" in case that offends muslims. It doesn't actually offend the muslim community at all but some one clearly thinks it would.

It can be taken too far but on the whole I think things are better now.

I can't speak for Christine obviously but I think the "ponces" comment was made as a reaction to their stage clothes which were a little effeminate when they are not effeminate men. So I would say she thought they were trying to look like soemthing they weren't. Just my opinion.

Gail
Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
Which reminds me...somebody could (ok, ok, I admit, I already did) do a medley of Bad Co's "Can't Get Enough" and FMac's "Don't Stop".

My band was about halfway through "Can't Get Enough" and it was obvious that we weren't going to END the song anytime soon, so I just started singing the chorus of "Don't Stop", we ended up doing two verses and two more choruses, THEN segued back into the Bad Co. song for the end.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Remember that picture of Chris made up like Aunt Jemima?

Wasn't John dressed up as a Nazi stormtrooper in that same photo? The whole BAND wasn't PC.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Wasn't John dressed up as a Nazi stormtrooper in that same photo? The whole BAND wasn't PC.
Yes he was...and his wife is Jewish.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, all of those comments were from long, long ago, back in the 1960's, 1970's & 1980's. I don't like them either, but times were different then. Remember that picture of Chris made up like Aunt Jemima? I consider that racist & I find it embarrassing. She definitely wasn't politically incorrect then, but at that time nobody else was either. Times have changed. Look at Don Imus now.

Thanks Mac Fan...you are a veritable encyclopedia of Chrisology!