Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
he was the one man in her life who didn't always say "Yes, Stevie."
I don’t even think it’s that. I think it’s unnerving to her that he’s the one person in her world who isn’t impressed by her success or accomplishments. He’s the only one who doesn’t treat her like a star.

As for the speculation about what role Tom’s death had on Lindsey getting canned, your guess is as good as mine. My guess is that it was minimal.

This time last year, I was thinking Lindsey was on a bit of an ego trip. “In My World” seemed especially about Stevie, he seemed dismissive towards Christine re: the making of TITN, he admitted he was only doing the Fleetwood Mac shows for the money, and put on sub-par (per reviews) shows. I thought he was in trouble before Tom’s death.

I honestly don’t think Stevie went into MusiCares with the intention of sacking Lindsey or bringing Mike in. Mike was the most obvious choice after everything went down.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-07-2018, 05:16 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Sure, but would he have had a top five hit or made nearly as much money without the Fleetwood Mac brand? Probably not, using his prior two and one subsequent albums as examples.

The one possibility regarding your list that I’d add: Did Lindsey became insufferable (to them) after the album came out? Because, he seemed to be especially on an ego trip during some of the press (especially re: TITN).
Look everyone can continue to make arguments towards who contributed what, and who has the bigger ego etc... The fact remains, that what the rest of the band did to the guy who contributed the lions share of the work producing the albums that they all got rich from, keeping the band touring when Mcvie left around 2000, (which included a brutal live show that couldn't have been easy for guy pushing 70) is embarrassing.

Does everyone here enjoy all the people they work with all the time? I don't think so. They had to have known that this would hurt the legacy of the band, and Lindsey's legacy and they did it anyway. Why?

I really think there is some deep-seated jealousy that exists on the part of Stevie. She may bring in more financially, but she will never achieve the status that Lindsey quietly has among his peers. How many people have really changed music? Very few. She seems like an unhappy person to me, who unfortunately like many stars is left with no one to tell her no. The last person who did that is gone. Look at the cost.

"In my world everybody stays
Nobody wishes for words they couldn't say"
Old 08-07-2018, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post

My sadness is ultimately this is our final snapshot of a band that was truly a sophisticated combination of poetry and symphony for all generations.
In their prime., the second half of the 1970s there was no one like them nor had there been before or since.I feel privileged to have been a fan in real time then. Since that time there have been a mind boggling series of missed opportunities .I think this latest one is perhaps the most tragic.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
I don’t even think it’s that. I think it’s unnerving to her that he’s the one person in her world who isn’t impressed by her success or accomplishments. He’s the only one who doesn’t treat her like a star.

As for the speculation about what role Tom’s death had on Lindsey getting canned, your guess is as good as mine. My guess is that it was minimal.

This time last year, I was thinking Lindsey was on a bit of an ego trip. “In My World” seemed especially about Stevie, he seemed dismissive towards Christine re: the making of TITN, he admitted he was only doing the Fleetwood Mac shows for the money, and put on sub-par (per reviews) shows. I thought he was in trouble before Tom’s death.

I honestly don’t think Stevie went into MusiCares with the intention of sacking Lindsey or bringing Mike in. Mike was the most obvious choice after everything went down.
Well, i went to the show in Houston that closed the Buckingham McVie tour, and it was anything but sub-par. You thought he was in trouble? Give me a break. In My World is a great track. Very cool subtle Lindsey-esque textures that make it groove.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmac View Post
Well, i went to the show in Houston that closed the Buckingham McVie tour, and it was anything but sub-par. You thought he was in trouble? Give me a break. In My World is a great track. Very cool subtle Lindsey-esque textures that make it groove.
I wasn’t talking about LBCM shows, just Fleetwood Mac. His attitude towards/enthusiasm for Fleetwood Mac was not good in interviews or at shows, if reviews are to be believed. IMW is a great song, but it seems to be a bit of a middle finger to Stevie. Where did I say it was a bad song?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
I wasn’t talking about LBCM shows, just Fleetwood Mac. His attitude towards/enthusiasm for Fleetwood Mac was not good in interviews or at shows, if reviews are to be believed. IMW is a great song, but it seems to be a bit of a middle finger to Stevie. Where did I say it was a bad song?
You didn't. All good. It was kinda funny, that i quoted that song, and while i was writing my reply you had mentioned it!

His attitude for playing the same stuff over again shouldn't get him fired. The band should have pushed Stevie to make an album. They didn't. No one stands up to her i guess...
Old 08-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The fact remains, that what the rest of the band did to the guy who contributed the lions share of the work producing the albums that they all got rich from, keeping the band touring when Mcvie left around 2000, (which included a brutal live show that couldn't have been easy for guy pushing 70) is embarrassing.
Lindsey was the producer (which I think became part of the problem), but it’s not like he was solely responsible for the tours, and what he was doing was certainly not more physically demanding than what Mick, who is older, was doing up there.

Quote:
Does everyone here enjoy all the people they work with all the time? I don't think so.
No, but we all usually figure out who not to piss off or when to back down.

Quote:
she will never achieve the status that Lindsey quietly has among his peers.
Yeah, she’s just a hero to a lot of young women.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You didn't. All good. It was kinda funny, that i quoted that song, and while i was writing my reply you had mentioned it!
Ahh.

Quote:
His attitude for playing the same stuff over again shouldn't get him fired. The band should have pushed Stevie to make an album. They didn't. No one stands up to her i guess...
I don’t disagree, but I also see the flip side. He could have been more open to doing the pre-75 stuff, too.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wasn’t talking about LBCM shows, just Fleetwood Mac. His attitude towards/enthusiasm for Fleetwood Mac was not good in interviews or at shows, if reviews are to be believed.
Oh, come on, Hopkins, you've been around the block long enough. Out of all the people in Fleetwood Mac over the years, Buck is just about the last guy anyone with any sense could accuse of lackluster stage work. "Reviews"? Who, fans? Critics? Weirdos? My hunch is that what you saw was somebody saying that Buck didn't measure up to his own standards. That's a different matter. You talk about that as if he was deliberately doing a drunken Danny Kirwan circa 1972, trying to destroy a show. His performances are not at the root of his firing.

As for what he says to the media—he's been periodically calling Fleetwood Mac a musical prostitute since about 1978. I doubt a few offhand remarks about a couple of big, bland festivals created much of a stir (especially since they were so innocuous—and so accurate).

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 08-07-2018 at 05:56 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He could have been more open to doing the pre-75 stuff, too.
The fact that we'd love to hear it doesn't mean that these bands are under some sort of existential obligation to revisit their old catalogues onstage. There were songs that Stevie and Lindsey wrote that they didn't want to perform. How can you blame him for not wanting to do Hypnotized tour after tour? Set lists are a personal thing. My attitude as audience is "You play what you want, just play it well and entertain me."

The major reason I'm unenthusiastic about this newest incarnation is because I know that it'll be a replay of 1987–1990: new guys told to play a bunch of songs that a previous version of the band made famous, and play them in a traditional coverish way. Don't reinvent, don't get quirky, don't let too much of your own personality cloud the "personality" of the old song.

My favorite thing of the 1987 tour — Rick's mournful I Loved Another Woman — was Rick channeling Peter Green.

The 1975 group could have spent the next ten years playing Green and Kirwan and Welch, but I'm not sure anyone was really up to that. Zzzzzz. . . .

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Agree.

Quote:
Agree. I think we're ascribing too much cause and effect to that. It may have made her think she doesn't want to waste her remaining professional years walking on eggshells around somebody. She just didn't want to work with him anymore.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-07-2018, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Kristen's previous comments debunking the band's story and essentially calling them liars have been shared all over the internet. If the lawyers were going to say something, they would have done so already, I imagine.

Interestingly, Frederico Pol, who was the only member of Lindsey's or Fleetwood Mac's backing bands to make any kind of public statement about Lindsey's treatment, is now backpedaling on social media somewhat and urging everyone to "love all the folks in the Mac" even if we are "disappointed in their choices." When I saw that, I wondered if there were some kind of communication from Lindsey about cooling off any social media negativity now that he's going on tour.

Apparently not.

Still, I can't blame her for venting her frustration. Perhaps doing so with a bit less... color would have been better.
Hard to "love all the folks in the Mac" when you have LB's wife on the same side calling Mick a MF. Which is gonna be?

I think she went too far. It wasn't too classy. JMO.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She was obviously very, very pissed at Mick's words about Lindsey in his Billboard interview. I was surprised too at her choice of words. It's getting real ugly now. I'm still glad that she is sharing with the fans though. I just wish Lindsey would do an interview and tell his side.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 08-07-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Oh, come on, Hopkins, you've been around the block long enough. Out of all the people in Fleetwood Mac over the years, Buck is just about the last guy anyone with any sense could accuse of lackluster stage work. "Reviews"? Who, fans? Critics? Weirdos? My hunch is that what you saw was somebody saying that Buck didn't measure up to his own standards. That's a different matter. You talk about that as if he was deliberately doing a drunken Danny Kirwan circa 1972, trying to destroy a show. His performances are not at the root of his firing.

As for what he says to the media—he's been periodically calling Fleetwood Mac a musical prostitute since about 1978. I doubt a few offhand remarks about a couple of big, bland festivals created much of a stir (especially since they were so innocuous—and so accurate).
This is absolutely correct. Especially, the prostitute part. Even in SYW he has a huge difference of opinion with Mick about art vs commerce. His job is to push art. Someone has to do it!!
Old 08-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Spot on with the statement that Lindsey is unfazed with her success, he knew her before she was famous and won't stand for her diva behaviour. I think he does get jealous however and enjoys cutting her down to size at every opportunity.

I disagree that Stevie did not have the intention of bringing Mike in before MusiCares...the turnaround for Lindsey to be fired and Mike hired is far too fast, in fact it was almost instantly. You can see that Neil WASNT pre planned as they took weeks to hire him after another rejected the offer.

Last edited by Angel75; 08-08-2018 at 02:24 AM..