Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default FM LIVE AT ESSEN POP & BLUES FESTIVAL in 1969

i just found a little excerpt of the mac playing "albatross" at the 1969 pop & blues festival in essen, germany:

http://www1.wdr.de/fernsehen/rockpal...tival-100.html

there's 3 vids on this page - click the one in the middle and go to 6:09 . . . and 'ere they are in all their albatross glory!

enjoy
martin
Old 03-24-2016, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Nice find, lazypoker! I've never seen this clip before. Too bad it's so short and the camera work could be better, but it's rare to find any new video of the band at all. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2016, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Nice find, lazypoker! I've never seen this clip before. Too bad it's so short and the camera work could be better, but it's rare to find any new video of the band at all. Thanks!
you're welcome, sharksfan.

this is a trailer (sort of) for a 4-hour-marathon on german tv station wdr on early easter monday morning, focussing on the "essen pop & blues festivals" held in 1969 and 1970. there's not too much info circulating yet on what exactly can be seen on that programm. but here are some acts who played the festivals and of which i know there is substantial footage in existance:
keef hartley band, nice, deep purple, taste, pink floyd, aynsley dunbar retaliation, hardin & york, taj mahal, burnin' red ivanhoe, third ear band. and a whole lot more bands played as well.

as the short "albatross" excerpt is all i've seen from the mac's performance, i don't know if more of it can be seen on that easter monday programme - needless to say that i'm CRAVING for it! anyway, i'll be recording the programme and you friends on "the ledge" will certainly be the first to know if some mac footage showed up . . .
Old 03-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
as the short "albatross" excerpt is all i've seen from the mac's performance, i don't know if more of it can be seen on that easter monday programme - needless to say that i'm CRAVING for it! anyway, i'll be recording the programme and you friends on "the ledge" will certainly be the first to know if some mac footage showed up . . .
Thanks, lazypoker! It would be great if more video from the band's performance is broadcast on that show.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ahhh, wonderful!!
Thank you so much, lazy poker!
Wonder how many hours of video lie rotting in the vaults around the world...
Old 03-24-2016, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you Lazypoker... that clip's priceless. It's so frustrating that there's so little footage out there of the Green-era band truly playing live. The ones of them miming to Albatross have always annoyed me!
Old 03-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thank you, LP. Wonderful find. What a tone Green has there, and Kirwan's playing is so purposeful and accurate. All together: beautiful.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Thanks, lazypoker! It would be great if more video from the band's performance is broadcast on that show.
. . . well, i'm truly sorry to shatter all hopes for more mac footage from this show - this little excerpt was all that was shown on the whole programm.

quite a bit of rare and interesting stuff was featured (though often spoiled by even more disappointing - and even disturbing - camera work than on the mac clip), so it was worth the "sleepless" night for me anyway, but . . . that was it.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
. . . well, i'm truly sorry to shatter all hopes for more mac footage from this show - this little excerpt was all that was shown on the whole programm.

quite a bit of rare and interesting stuff was featured (though often spoiled by even more disappointing - and even disturbing - camera work than on the mac clip), so it was worth the "sleepless" night for me anyway, but . . . that was it.
Wow, that is disappointing. Sort of surprising too since we know someone was filming the band and they were pretty popular at that point. Perhaps it's partly due to them not being among the most visually interesting bands out there - fairly ordinary clothing, not a lot of movement onstage...they were all about the music!

Thanks anyway for trying, lazy poker, and thanks for the report!
Old 04-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is an awesome nugget. Thanks for finding and posting this!!
Old 06-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Ledgie

And here is all concert!

45,24 minutes of the best band ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxIHiwca5Q

Enjoy!
Old 06-10-2017, 04:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalko View Post
And here is all concert!

45,24 minutes of the best band ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxIHiwca5Q

Enjoy!
. . . well, the AUDIO is in circulation, yes (albeit in not very enjoyable audience quality), but as the video snippet has been covered by german tv, it still raises the question if this is all there is - on VIDEO.
but thanks anyway, dalko!
Old 06-10-2017, 06:23 AM
Ledgie

Here in Europe Germans have the reputation to be very, very systematical and methodical. They have it somewhere, for sure.

Maybe the journalist who wrote the article can ask for more?

Old 06-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalko View Post
Here in Europe Germans have the reputation to be very, very systematical and methodical. They have it somewhere, for sure.

Maybe the journalist who wrote the article can ask for more?

don't be too sure about this! you mustn't forget one thing here: the fact that this 10-minute feature has survived in the wdr archives doesn't necessarily mean that the original sources they had used for it are still available or can be tracked down as well.

for example: i've been repeatedly in contact with archivists and editors of tv stations in germany (including the wdr in cologne) in trying to find diverse footage in their vaults. although i've been lucky in some cases, in others i wasn't successful. i remember times they gave me the thumbs up as they had the stuff listed, but shortly after they apologised because the footage couldn't be copied, was literally rotten or couldn't be found (despite being listed). and that happened even with footage from the 70s or 80s.

an editor at the wdr provided me with a list of ALL the vintage programmes that could be considered for re-broadcast in the "from the archives" series. believe me - i was absolutely floored reading that list. but my high hopes and expectations were shattered even faster than they'd been raised: quite a lot of those contents are still in existence indeed, but the film material is severely damaged and can't be broadcast anymore. and restoration is out of the question as it would be way too expensive.

and now back to the "1969 essen pop & blues festival": there's sadly no more footage than what was shown on that occasion . . . and that also means that we simply have to be grateful for those 78 seconds of "albert ross".