The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:38 PM

Q & A: Delta Rae to play The Cabot in Beverly

WL: Who are some of the band’s influences?
BH: Artists like James Taylor, Joni Mitchell and Cat Stevens really popularized folk music and they have influenced our music. ... There are a lot of Motown and gospel influences, as well. Then there’s the groups like Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles or Bonnie Raitt. We really run the gamut. And we’re fortunate that we happened to come up when Mumford & Sons, Florence & The Machine, Lady Antebellum and Little Big Town are popular. We felt like there was still room for us.

WL: How did the collaboration with Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac come about?
BH: We were on the road trying to figure out this song, “If I Loved You” so we could record it for our EP. We were out in L.A. at this studio ... and apparently, Lindsey had been there working the day before. ... He came in, grabbed an instrument called a gryphon and just started strumming. So this entire time, we had been looking for what this song needed. Apparently, it needed Lindsey Buckingham playing a 12-string gryphon.

http://northofboston.wickedlocal.com...bot-in-beverly
Old 07-28-2018, 07:47 AM

Throwback Thursday: Lindsey Buckingham Plays His Fleetwood Mac Hit ‘Big Love’

Fleetwood Mac has survived more personnel changes and traumas through the years than almost any major band you can think of, but the latest may be the most devastating cut at all. A few months ago, the group fired Lindsey Buckingham, who has been the creative driving force behind the group for more than 40 years. Buckingham wrote many of the band’s biggest hits, was the main musical arranger for the group, an excellent lead and harmony singer, a studio wizard who helped define their modern aesthetic, and also one of the more skilled and imaginative (and underrated) guitarists in rock. Now, I understand that there are valid (commercial) reasons why the group would take this step, and I have absolutely no doubt that the talented replacements who have been brought in to fill his shoes for the group’s upcoming tour—Neil Finn of Crowded House and Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers—will be able to cover Buckingham’s vocal and instrumental parts. But what they cannot replicate is his deep soulfulness and his quirky, compelling, just-this-side-of-insane spirit. If Stevie Nicks was the airy, wispy enchantress, and Christine McVie the more grounded and world-wise songbird (and I’m a huge fan of both!), Lindsey was the barely controllable whirlwind at the center who held everything together while simultaneously striving to blow our expectations apart. For my money, he’s the guy who made it all work.

So, to honor the-one-who-is-being-left-behind, here’s Lindsey Buckingham playing a solo acoustic (nylon-string!) version of a song he wrote for Fleetwood Mac’s 1987 album, Tango in the Night, “Big Love.” The single of that tune hit the Top Ten in both the U.S. (where it was also a dance hit) and the UK. —Blair Jackson

http://acousticguitar.com/throwback-...-hit-big-love/
Old 11-12-2018, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Randomly caught this today. Probably has been posted before...
This was a Kingston Trio & Friends Reunion and Lindsey Buckingham joins John Stewart on stage to sing The Spinning of the World.

Introduction by John Stewart @ 54:02
This link should start right at the right part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhmK...outu.be&t=3242
Old 12-22-2020, 03:20 PM

Marty Friedman talks jamming with Megadeth’s Kiko Loureiro, his love of Fleetwood Mac and why he wishes his playing was more accessible

Speaking of cool guitar licks, you recently covered Fleetwood Mac’s You Make Loving Fun with Two Minutes to Late Night. Are you a fan of the Mac?

“Big time. Lindsey Buckingham is one of my favorite guitarists in history. I've ripped off so many motifs from that guy. He plays very basic melody lines, but the way he hangs on single notes, no-one else does it. And it's just so gut-wrenching.

“That was a huge influence on me when I first started playing lead guitars – how do you get that emotion? He's playing the same scales as everybody else is, and he's not doing these, like, 20-finger tapping things, but the second you hear the guy you know it's him. And what he does always elevates the song.

“You know, most pop songs don't have lead guitars in them, and they don't need lead guitars in them. But Fleetwood Mac have the ultimate pop songs, and they all have great lead solos in them. So what does that tell you? That tells you that the guitar player is just amazing.”

He’s definitely an underrated player.

“A lot of people notice how fantastic he is with his fingerpicking and his acoustic playing, and that's something that people can work really, really hard at and kind of master. But there's only one Lindsey who can emote the way he does on leads. And I don't think anybody can really copy that.

https://www.guitarworld.com/amp/feat...ore-accessible

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 12-22-2020 at 03:24 PM..
Old 07-25-2021, 04:59 AM

Caroline Jones unleashes supercharged rendition of Fleetwood Mac’s Big Love in Guitar World-exclusive premiere
The scorching track will feature on the country singer-songwriter's sophomore studio album

Country singer-songwriter Caroline Jones has debuted a blistering reimagining of the classic Fleetwood Mac track Big Love, which will appear on her highly anticipated sophomore studio album.

The track itself, premiered today on Guitar World, sees Jones trade her trademark Tele twangs for fingerstyle acoustic guitar snaps as she takes on the lightning-fast lead licks found in Lindsey Buckingham’s live solo arrangement.

Joined in the studio by electric guitar player Derek Wells, drummer Nir Z, fiddle player Jason Roller and bass guitar maestro Tony Lucido, Jones wields her Godin Multiac Nylon String Natural HG to maximum effect, making light work of the rapid-fire right-hand fingerpicking patterns.

In reference to the progressive rock elements that Jones and Nir Z aimed to assimilate into the arrangement, the cover also reels off a slew of high-gain lead lines and blink-and-you’ll-miss them hi-hat rolls, all while Jones makes her way unfazed through the track’s formidable guitar part.

You can check out the song's accompanying music video – which features Jenee Fleenor on fiddle and Mark Hill on bass – below.

Of the track, Jones revealed, “This arrangement for Big Love is based on Lindsey Buckingham’s solo acoustic performances from his live albums. My good friend and collaborator, Nir Z, showed Lindsey’s solo version to me on tour a few years ago and basically dared me to try to the learn the guitar part!

“It is incredibly fast, technical and rhythmically complex,” she continued. “It took me months and months to learn it, bit by bit. I still don’t feel like I quite have it under my fingers all the time! And no one will ever play it like Lindsey.

“Over the summer months of 2019, Nir and I worked up a live arrangement of the song that incorporates progressive rock elements. The live reaction was explosive. Folks really seem to love the intensity of it, so we decided to record our version for my upcoming sophomore album.

“I’m very very proud of this production and arrangement. It is very different for me – intense, gritty, dark and wild.”

Big Love will feature alongside the already released single Come In (But Don’t Make Yourself Comfortable) on the tracklist of her upcoming album – her second full-length studio effort – which is set to be released later this fall.

Elsewhere, Jones recently teamed up with Guitar World for an edition of Sick Riffs, in which she teaches the slide-tastic main lick of her track Tough Guys (Remix), taken from her 2019 EP, Chasin’ Me.

https://www.guitarworld.com/amp/news...jones-big-love
Old 07-25-2021, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Nice find, Sister

I like that they've used the bass line from The Dance version (which drops down from F to E7 at the end of each verse couplet) rather than the later iterations (which move back up from F to G, which I assume is an easier pattern to play at speed while singing). (Actual key may vary.)

The vocals are a bit coo-ey but I like the powerful instrumentation and hope the cover does well.

Would have been better (for the song and for Lindsey) if they had brought Lindsey into the studio and video to do a cameo for the fast guitar picking before the bridge (which they give up on entirely and replace with a fiddle etc).