User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 PM
Ledgie

Default Jeremy Spencer Cancels Tour For Health Reasons

http://www.presstelegram.com/events/...health-reasons

Fans of original Fleetwood Mac guitarist Jeremy Spencer will have to wait even longer for his first U.S. tour in more than four decades.

The 65-year-old slide guitarist has canceled his 30-stop U.S tour, which was set to start in Long Beach on Wednesday, due to unspecified health reasons. There is no word yet on a rescheduled tour.

In a statement written by Spencer and emailed to the Long Beach Press-Telegram by his publicist, the blues rocker said he had to return to Ireland, where he lives with his wife, for medical treatment.

“I have recently been under considerable stress due to unrelenting demands on my life and time. It has now resulted in potentially serious health problems for which I am compelled to return to Ireland for treatment. I am distraught over having to postpone what was to be a memorable tour,” he said in a statement.

The tour was set to launch at Fingerprints record store on Feb. 12 before moving on to Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles on Thursday, followed by a stop in San Diego then back to L.A. on Saturday with a show at the Westwood Music Center.

The tour was to be Spencer’s first in the U.S. in more than 40 years after he walked away from the band he helped to start back in 1967.

He was set to perform songs from his 2012 release “Bend in the Road,” and the upcoming “Coventry Blue,” which is set for release March 1. Spencer was also planning on playing some songs from his days with Fleetwood Mac.

In a previous interview with the Press-Telegram, Spencer said he was feeling “scared” about touring again and was “very happy to be staying here working in my little home studio creating instead of facing the big bad world.” But he said he felt he needed to do it, that it was good for him and that a lot of people wanted him to tour again.

The tour was being financed through an online Kickstarter campaign to raise $10,000 for initial tour expenses. As of Monday morning $10,441 had been raised through the campaign.

“Unfortunately, here I am forced to let everyone down who was counting on me. I cannot do the subject justice. Please convey to the venues my deepest apologies, and gratitude for their consideration of my situation. I am truly sorry over such an untimely delay,” Spencer’s continued in his statement.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

With all respect, I find this hard to believe..
I can't find any information about this elsewhere. Not on jeremyspencer.com, Jeremy's facebook page, tour page, Kickstarter campaign or the different venue pages.

On February 6 Jeremy wrote on his facebook page, sounding very ready for the US tour. Let's hope it's not true, and that Jeremy is in good health.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh no...
Now I see several of the venues are announcing that the gigs are cancelled.
Very sad....
Old 02-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have received an email from the Regattabar saying the show has been cancelled. So, I'm afraid it's true.

Best wishes to Jeremy for a full recovery from whatever is ailing him, and may he feel ready soon to launch this tour for real.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
With all respect, I find this hard to believe..
I can't find any information about this elsewhere. Not on jeremyspencer.com, Jeremy's facebook page, tour page, Kickstarter campaign or the different venue pages.

On February 6 Jeremy wrote on his facebook page, sounding very ready for the US tour. Let's hope it's not true, and that Jeremy is in good health.
Yes, it's true. I received e mails from the venue I was going to see him at and Kickstarter confirming it. As a fan, naturally, it's disappointing but I understand it.

Get well Jeremy.

John
Old 02-11-2014, 11:57 PM
Junior Ledgie

Well that's too bad, I actually created an account to ask if anyone knew where he playing in Austin. Get well soon!
Old 02-15-2014, 03:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

U-T San Diego, 2/14/2014 by George Varga

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/...-cancels-tour/

Sour note: Did ties to cult kill the tour?

Abruptly cancelled U.S. concert tour by Fleetwood Mac alum Jeremy Spencer was to include a Valentine's Day show in San Diego at Lestat's

An air of controversy and mystery surrounds former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Jeremy Spencer's sudden cancellation of his entire U.S. tour, including his Valentine's Day show in San Diego tonight at Lestat's.

The English-born Spencer was a charter member of Fleetwood Mac, which was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998. He performed on all of the band's early hits, including "Oh Well" and "Black Magic Woman" (which was written by Mac's then-leader, Peter Green, and soon became an international hit for the band led by former Tijuana guitarist Carlos Santana).

This would have been his first U.S. tour since he abruptly left Fleetwood Mac in 1971 in Los Angeles to join the Children of God (later known as The Family International). That controversial, quasi-religious group, which sprouted in the late 1960s, combined scripture and free sex. It did so in a manner that went beyond the norms of the almost-anything-goes, peace-and-love hippie ethos of the time, including -- critics and former members have charged -- pedophilia. In 1986, following lawsuits and a series of official investigations, The Family International officially renounced sexual contact between children and adults.

Spencer's tour was scheduled to start Thursday in Los Angeles and conclude March 31 in New York. (Ironically, Spencer was also scheduled to perform here at Lestat's in May, 2012, with San Diego singer-songwriter Jack Tempchin, but that show was also mysteriously cancelled at the last minute.)

This week saw a rapid-fire sequence of events related to the now-aborted tour. At 1:06 p.m. Wednesday, Spencer's U.S. record company, Blind Pig, belatedly sent out a a national email press release, with the headline: JEREMY SPENCER LAUNCHES U.S. TOUR Fleetwood Mac Guitarist To Make Rare American Appearances

Twenty-four minutes later, at 1:30 p.m., Blind Pig sent out a second press release. It contained a single sentence: The previously announced U.S. tour by Fleetwood Mac guitarist Jeremy Spencer has just been cancelled. No reason or explanation was offered.

U-T San Diego immediately contacted Blind Pig Wednesday to ask why the tour had fallen through. No response came until Thursday, when a spokesman for the record label wrote: "Apparently he (Spencer) was getting threats, so decided for his own safety to return to his home in Ireland." Blind Pig has yet to respond to our request to elaborate on the nature of those threats.

Meanwhile, the Safe Passage Foundation is crediting its online petition to get change.org Spencer's tour canceled.

The foundation describes itself on its website as: "a not-for-profit 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization that provides resources, support and advocacy for youth raised in restrictive, isolated or high-demand communities, often referred to as 'cults' by society at large." Its petition appeared under the heading: Jeremy Spencer: a child-abuser unworthy of your support -- STOP the Jeremy Spencer USA tour

On Wednesday, Safe Passage issued a statement that began: "We are pleased to report that both the Jeremy Spencer tour and the Kickstarter fundraiser have been cancelled! We would like to thank everyone who signed our petition for their support as well as organizers and supporters of the Jeremy Spencer tour for heeding our call to take a stand against child abuse."

None of this was mentioned in the email Lestat's music honcho Louis Brazier received Wednesday afternoon from Spencer's booking agent. That email consisted of a personal statement from Spencer himself. It read:

I have very difficult news to convey to you. I have recently been under considerable stress due to unrelenting demands on my life and time. It has now resulted in potentially serious health problems for which I am compelled to return to Ireland for treatment. I am distraught over having to postpone what was to be a memorable tour. Fans of my music were keen on the opportunity to enjoy it live, so many venues put their hearts and souls in to promotion and preparation, band mates have put their other projects on hold to prepare and there was great excitement over the release of (my album) 'Coventry Blue.' Unfortunately, here I am forced to let everyone down who was counting on me. I cannot do the subject justice. Please convey to the venues my deepest apologies, and gratitude for their consideration of my situation. I am truly sorry over such an untimely delay. Thank you for your understanding. I value your support.

Regretfully,

Jeremy

There is another facet to the tour's cancellation that neither Spencer or Blind Pig have yet mentioned.

Spencer was underwriting his tour through an online Kickstarter campaign, in which his fans were asked to help underwrite his U.S. concert trek. As of this morning, his Kickstarter page indicates Spencer has raised $10,416. The page, like his website, makes no mention as yet of the tour's cancellation.

Those who pledged $200 or more were promised an autographed drawing Spencer did of Fleetwood Mac's original members. Any fan who pledged $1,500 or more was promised dinner with him and his band, if logistically feasible. For $2,000, he would do a private show. (According to his Kickstarter page, one fan pledged $2,000.)

There is no word yet on the status of Spencer's Kickstarter campaign or whether refunds will be made.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Has anyone read the blog entry on the Safe Passages Foundation site? Pretty heinous and shameful if all of these allegations are true.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:04 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Has anyone read the blog entry on the Safe Passages Foundation site? Pretty heinous and shameful if all of these allegations are true.
I agree. And while I simply don't know if these accusations have any basis in truth or if are simply painted with the broad brush of association with the cult that other members within had committed such atrocities or if it is actually something he openly took part in...

It is too hard for me to wrap my head around this because I'm such a fan of the early/original Fleetwood Mac and always thought of Jeremy Spencer as the Elmore James standard torch bearer that never fell off that band-wagon. He's also the only one of the 3 of his era's Fleetwood Mac contemporaries that somehow found his way thru the smoke and fog of the tragic consequences of their band's permissive and self-indulgent endeavors of drug and alcohol abuse... Of the 3 of them he's the only one that maintained his guitar playing chops, his voice, and from all outward appearances; his mental and physical health and well being... His voice is literally exactly the same some 40+ years later...

If it's true I'll despise the man eternally and will be glad his American tour was cancelled! If it's not, then I feel truly sorry for and saddened by the grievous slander by association that has been inflicted upon him by his ties with the cult and hope that it can be overcome for him and his fans...

If he truly took part in what is alleged, then he can go to hell and stay the hell out of America!

I hope it's not true, but I just don't know...

I am saddened and distressed by the thought that it could possibly all be true...

Last edited by Jimi Mac; 02-21-2014 at 06:09 AM..