Didn't Even Bother Buying It 7 17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2002, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Feelings On "Best Of"

?
Old 10-15-2002, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Won't get mine till the 22nd....ordered through Amazon.com...so i'll let u know then! But by the sounds of it the footage and the video vault are very good...I'm looking forward to receiving mine!

Old 10-15-2002, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I cancelled my order with Amazon because I couldn't wait to get this compilation. My brother is picking it up for me today at Virgin Megastore.. I will post my thoughts on it later.

Michelle

~long live the queen... under the skin~
Old 10-15-2002, 02:18 PM
Ledgie

I think this is seriously one of the best Best Of's ever released, for both the package itself and of course the music contained within. It's 75-78 heavy, but the collection as a whole works extremely well.

and...for those keeping score, the following rarities make this set worth getting:
Rhiannon (Single Version)
I'm So Afraid (Live 1997- Edit...the beginning is cut down considerably)
Silver Springs (new mix)
Over My Head (Single Version)
Think About Me (Single Version)
Go Insane (Live 1997- first time on US release)
Gold Dust Woman (original fade-in version)
Sisters Of The Moon (Single Version)
Old 10-15-2002, 02:37 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thumbs up My thoughts on the best-of

This release -- which is just a vehicle for the new album -- should be a nice stocking stuff for the holidaze.

It's nice to see that some different elements were incorporated to make this release more than just your standard retrospective. Some highlights include the single versions for Rhiannon, Over My Head, Think About Me and Sisters of the Moon -- previously unavailable on CD. There's also a different mix of Silver Springs that emphasizes Stevie's empassioned vocals at the end. As far as I can tell, Lindsey and Christine's backups are not there -- it's all Stevie.

The sound quality is excellent. I have never heard the tracks sound so good, particularly the ones from Rumours and Mirage. Everything is so clean and crisp. Finally, we get some bass on these recordings -- something missing from the dismal CD transfers in the 80s and early 90s. (Where are those reissues, Warner Bros.??)

The liner booklet is very well done, though the selection of photography is average. Most collectors have seen these pics elsewhere over the years, but it is nice to get clean copies of them. The colors are vibrant and help paint the picture of the times (love those clothes!). The studio outtakes are nice, particularly the one of Christine playing that big ol' bass. I've never seen that shot before. The featured Rumours cover outtake (one of several) of Stevie stealing away the crystal ball from Mick is really cool too. The liner notes are written well by David Wild, a contributing writer for Rolling Stone. Informative, concise and accurate (Though some guitar afficionados may take issue with the line that reads Lindsey is every thinking man's guitar hero).

The enhanced CD, which plays best on Apple's Quicktime, is all right, though the behind-the-scenes stuff is probably the only real interest here. The footage takes you through the Bel Aire recording mansion, practice sessions (Stevie's singing two new songs) and short interviews about the recording process with the dynamics (w/o Christine, outside solo projects, etc). One of Stevie's new drawings is shown and a dog barking disruptively (Sara Bella Donna/Sulamith?) is heard in the background. The other stuff on the CD, like "the "vaults (which has to be accessed through the internet), is a bit disappointing, particularly the selection of performance clips. Two tracks are culled from the '82 Mirage vid (Chain, Go Your Own Way) and one from The Dance (Don't Stop). The music video for Seven Wonders is included, which is always nice for the colorful visuals (and Stevie's big 80s hair). The rarest of the footage included here is the classic Rosebud documentary performance of Rhiannon.

I was hoping for some rarer footage, but was not disappointed as I wasn't expecting it (that's just how it is to be a Fleetwood Mac/Stevie fans).

Last edited by Sapphire Blues; 10-15-2002 at 02:47 PM..
Old 10-15-2002, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: My thoughts on the best-of

Quote:
Originally posted by Sapphire Blues
The sound quality is excellent. I have never heard the tracks sound so good, particularly the ones from Rumours and Mirage.
I wish I could agree wholeheartedly with you here, Dan. Some of the tunes drop in volume & the remastering is digital-chill. Who the heck are Bill Inglot & Dan Hersch anyway? Also, some of the editing seems rough, like the "I'm So Afraid" intro.

I still think it's ludicrous to have "No Questions Asked" & "As Long As You Follow" on this set instead of "Love Shines" or "Heart of Stone." The latter are clearly superior tracks & everybody loves them more. "Love Shines" gets high marks from every Christine fan.

Can I quibble one more time? It's inaccurate & unfair & even a little cheap to put the name "Fleetwood Mac" first -- ahead of Dashut, Buckingham, Ladanyi, Olsen, Caillat -- in the production credits.

Oh yeesh. I'm listening to "No Questions Asked" now. It sounds as dumb as it ever did! They recorded the lead electrics & Stevie's vocal in a big trash can! Ok where is the fast-forward? Let's check out "Skies the Limit." Hmmm. . . . ahhhh . . . .

Hey, I know that song!!
Old 10-15-2002, 03:27 PM

There's unfortunately a lot of disingenuousness surrounding this compilation release. The fact the label insists on perpetuating the lie that this is the first studio album in 15 years is absolutely galling. I am not particularly fond of Behind the Mask and Time, but I don't believe in rewriting history. This is another sad chapter in the history of Fleetwood Mac.

RESCIND THE STRIKE!!!

Last edited by CarneVaca; 10-15-2002 at 04:04 PM..
Old 10-15-2002, 03:53 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
There's unfortunately a lot of disingenuousness surrounding this compilation release. The fact the label insists on perpetuating the lie that this is the first studio album in 15 years is absolutely galling. I am not particularly fond of Behind the Mask and Time, but I don't believe in rewriting history. This is another sad chapter in the history of Fleetwood Mac.
Actually, they just say this will be the first to feature new material by Lindsey, Stevie, Mick & John, as clearly stated in the booklet for those who can read.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Though often maligned, "As Long As You Follow" is on my list of Top 5 fave Christine McVie songs... so I'm happy to see it included here.
But I would have preferred "Love Shines" or "Heart Of Stone" over "Skies The Limit."

At any rate, this is a vast improvement over 'Greatest Hits,' and makes that disc completely obsolete.

By the way, the most recent press announcements have re-worded the earlier "first in 15 years" statement to read, "the first studio album in 15 years to include both Stevie and Lindsey."

Johnny Stew
Old 10-15-2002, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress

Actually, they just say this will be the first to feature new material by Lindsey, Stevie, Mick & John, as clearly stated in the booklet for those who can read.
Oh, I can read. I can write. And I can even spell. Here's what the official Fleetwood Mac site says:

"Fleetwood Mac's first new studio album in 15 years is due to arrive in the Spring of 2003."

The question is, Can you read?

RESCIND THE STRIKE!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 04:13 PM
Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
[B]

Oh, I can read. I can write. And I can even spell. Here's what the official Fleetwood Mac site says:

"Fleetwood Mac's first new studio album in 15 years is due to arrive in the Spring of 2003."

The question is, Can you read?
Yes I can, and what I just read was a grown man acting like a 2 year old because he was (rather mildly) corrected.

It just seemed unfortunate to me that with all of the time you devote to owning the final, one-and-only, no-one-else-is-right word on all things pertaining to Fleetwood Mac you would have missed the latest word. Now you know.

Old 10-15-2002, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress

Yes I can, and what I just read was a grown man acting like a 2 year old because he was (rather mildly) corrected.

It just seemed unfortunate to me that with all of the time you devote to owning the final, one-and-only, no-one-else-is-right word on all things pertaining to Fleetwood Mac you would have missed the latest word. Now you know.

Dude, there's a saying about dishing it out but being unable to take it.

I posted my comments based on current information. What I quoted is up on the site as we speak. All you have to do is to log on to see it. I don't care what the booklet says. I don't have it. All I know is the site backs up my statement, and so does the TV commercial. It's pretty simple and clear. If you're going to insinuate that I can't read, be ready to take it back. If you acted civilized in the first place, you wouldn't have gotten the reply you did.

RESCIND THE STRIKE!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Oddly enough, when they updated the site Sunday night, it was worded differently, and made note (just as the recent press releases have) that it's the first with Lindsey & Stevie, as opposed to just being the first.

Not sure why they changed it again.

Either way, let's not all get in the middle of another round of arguing.
I think there's been just about enough of that lately.

Johnny Stew
Old 10-15-2002, 04:31 PM
Ledgie

Quote:

Dude, there's a saying about dishing it out but being unable to take it.

I posted my comments based on current information. What I quoted is up on the site as we speak. All you have to do is to log on to see it. I don't care what the booklet says. I don't have it. All I know is the site backs up my statement, and so does the TV commercial. It's pretty simple and clear. If you're going to insinuate that I can't read, be ready to take it back. If you acted civilized in the first place, you wouldn't have gotten the reply you did.

RESCIND THE STRIKE!!!
Last word from me in this line of conversation: The most up to date item is the CD. Secondly, nowhere did I say "CarneVaca can't read." I simply stated that if one can read, the info is clearly stated in the CD booklet. Anything else you implied yourself...there was no "dishing".
Old 10-15-2002, 05:28 PM
Junior Ledgie

Cool Re: best of

Quote:
I wish I could agree wholeheartedly with you here, Dan. Some of the tunes drop in volume & the remastering is digital-chill. Who the heck are Bill Inglot & Dan Hersch anyway?
You think so? Bill Inglot is a seasoned engineer... He's done great work cleaning up catalogs for Pink Floyd and The Dead. Not too familar with Dan Hersch, but he did work on Roxy Music's Avalon remaster which was pretty good (the drums are a big improvement). The tracks from Rumours and Mirage are the best ones, by far. Mirage was stripped of all depth when it transferred to disc. It's nice to hear those levels restored on this set.

CD compression has long been a nemesis with remasters, but dynamic range is improving.

Quote:
I still think it's ludicrous to have "No Questions Asked" & "As Long As You Follow" on this set instead of "Love Shines" or "Heart of Stone." The latter are clearly superior tracks & everybody loves them more. "Love Shines" gets high marks from every Christine fan.
I agree about Love Shines, a great inspiring melody against some nice bluesy guitar. I wish I could say the same for Heart of Stone, a glee club nightmare. It recalls the goofy Dougie Howser-esque keyboard arrangement for Skies the Limit. What's worse is how the entire song is built around one bad reflective cliche after another. Christine has never been the most original lyricist, but this one is just way over the top. "Hopes have shattered/Shattered like broken glass." yuk!

Quote:
Can I quibble one more time? It's inaccurate & unfair & even a little cheap to put the name "Fleetwood Mac" first -- ahead of Dashut, Buckingham, Ladanyi, Olsen, Caillat -- in the production credits.
Probably should have gone straight alphabetical.

Quote:
Oh yeesh. I'm listening to "No Questions Asked" now. It sounds as dumb as it ever did!
They were calling No Questions Asked the chorus-less track on another list. I guess lyrically, it just doesn't have one. I do agree about the production drowning the vocals; it's quite a mess.

This is debatable, but I've thought NQA was related to the better Love Is -- both songs sharing the line "miss those arms that used to go around you" and similar depictions of child-like breakdowns. Anyway, that's another discussion.