Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:14 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Green Manalishi - recording info

Does anyone have any details on the recording of Green Manalishi? Like where it was done, how many tracks they used, or any other technical stuff like that. I have an idea about some of the stuff, but I'm curious to see if I'm right. Also, who's doing the crazy runs throughout the ending solos? Hard to tell if it's Danny or PG.

I'd so love to ask Martin Birch about all this...

Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpeabody View Post
Does anyone have any details on the recording of Green Manalishi? Like where it was done, how many tracks they used, or any other technical stuff like that. I have an idea about some of the stuff, but I'm curious to see if I'm right. Also, who's doing the crazy runs throughout the ending solos? Hard to tell if it's Danny or PG.

I'd so love to ask Martin Birch about all this...

Thanks!!

Here you have some recording info:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10844

/dino
Old 02-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Junior Ledgie

Great link! Thanks very much for this.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:47 AM
Ledgie

Great link - THANK YOU!!

I like this quote from Zoot Money found in the post, when talking about End Of The Game:
Quote:
The thing about Peter is that he didn't really feel he'd met someone or really become a friend unless he'd jammed with them because that was how he spoke to the world.He was a bit of a savant really.Music was his language-notes,scales,joyous harmony...that was how he spoke.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Ledgie

At the Steve Hoffman Music Forum, there is a post from "Steel Woole" about Green Manalishi:

Manalishi backing tracks were recorded at Western Recorders Studio 2, 6000 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA on January 8, 1970 on four of sixteen available tracks.
Engineers listed on the tape box are "M. Birch/HBD"

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread....326894/page-7

I never read/heard of this exact date before, thought some of you here might be interested!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Here you have some recording info:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10844

/dino
Yes interesting , except there are some things I've spotted during a cursory read which seem inacurate

eg" when slide exponent Danny Kirwan entered the Mac picture .".........

and didn't Peter say he did the slide bits of Albatross himself using a Strat on his lap, and also that it was he that doubled John Mc Vies bass on Albatross ?

so maybe other stuff is wrong ?

And just to be clear, as noted by one of the comments ,when they used Orange amps there was a seperate valve powered spring reverb unit (in the article it doesnt make clear that it was an Orange product
-I still have mine !)

Also the piece about the Supernatural surely doesn't make sense unless it was Mike Vernon playing chords on the organ .........

Last edited by THD; 11-08-2014 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-05-2014, 09:01 AM
Senior Ledgie

I'm pretty sure those fast runs during the outro are Peter Green. I'd have to listen again, but I think he plays some similar licks on the live versions. I've never heard Danny Kirwan play like that.

I've always wanted an alternate mix where the solo was up front and the vocal wails were ghosts in the background...
Old 11-08-2014, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
I'm pretty sure those fast runs during the outro are Peter Green. I'd have to listen again, but I think he plays some similar licks on the live versions. I've never heard Danny Kirwan play like that.

I've always wanted an alternate mix where the solo was up front and the vocal wails were ghosts in the background...
Maybe it's Johnny Winter mixed down. Peter said he played on the original recording.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Interesting. Never heard JW was there, although I've read Carlos Santana was and he and Peter Green jammed Black Magic Woman.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very interesting the lengths they apparently attempted to get the reverb effects in the garage(s?) but, it struck me ,as with a lot of other peoples records, that they were making a sound on record which is impossible for them to reproduce on stage ! Then, your average band would only have a Watkins Copycat tape echo unit or similar and /or spring reverb units !)I don’t think digital multi effects units existed then (let alone analysers to find out retrospectively exactly what reverb effects were produced by the garage environment in order to simulate them )

Now, I saw then perform Green Manalishi live perhaps four times, and I honestly wasn’t sitting there thinking OH NO ! This is terrible - the power chords (not that I’d even heard that term then !)just don’t sound like they do on the record and the reverb settings** on the guitar solos are spoiling it for me –it was about a band at their apogee and about the excitement and about Peter Green commanding the stage and communicating emotion straight into the hearts of the audience…

**(that the reverb unit controls were set to 6 not 8 was of no importance ….. (like digital reverbs, a setting of eleven was some way off in the future ……)

Last edited by THD; 11-09-2014 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: addition of joke !
Old 11-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Maybe it's Johnny Winter mixed down. Peter said he played on the original recording.
Do you remember where this quote came from?
I can't hear Winter on the track, but he did play the Royal Albert Hall on April 17, 1970, (Santana headlined the next night) so he could have been in England at the time they were recording 'Manalishi'

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 11-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
**(that the reverb unit controls were set to 6 not 8 was of no importance ….. (like digital reverbs, a setting of eleven was some way off in the future ……)
If only Spinal Tap would have recorded Green Manalishi...
Old 11-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
If only Spinal Tap would have recorded Green Manalishi...

Well it could still happen Sharksfan !

We should start a petition !

In fact, I think they should do a follow up film to include a Manalishi sequence

This is Still Spinal Tap

Or
Spinal Tap: Still Gushing after all These Years

or Final Spinal

and it could include a scene where they call for a giant slavering hound to bound onto the stage at the climax of the number , but because someone, again ,misreads the instructions, a scared little Chihuahua already traumatised by having been dyed green, gets pushed reluctantly on stage and starts chewing at Nigel Tufnell.s flares and as he shakes his leg to stop the mutt , he accidentally steps on it and we hear a sound new to rock music -the haunting sound of a little dog shrieking in pain –Nigel Tufnell has invented the Chihuahua Pedal !
Old 11-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Do you remember where this quote came from?
I can't hear Winter on the track, but he did play the Royal Albert Hall on April 17, 1970, (Santana headlined the next night) so he could have been in England at the time they were recording 'Manalishi'
I can't find the effin' interview anmore. It was an 80s interview with Greeny.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Please don’t sweat it – I was just hoping to read what he said. The pairing of Green and Winter at first seems odd, but for that particular number, I think Winter’s guitar sound would have been quite appropriate.
I just wonder, if he had cut tracks with them, if it was done during the sessions in Hollywood, as by the time he was in England, the song was said to have been finished. That would also help explain why no one else ever mentioned Winter’s presence during the sessions in England.
There is no real information about the U.S. sessions at all, other than that they did take place and that they were unhappy with what they got, and started from scratch once back in England.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder