The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thoroughly support gay marriage, but I have no desire to get "gay married". Don't get me wrong, though. I'm ecstatic for each and everyone of my gay friends who are legally married, but it's just not my thing. Marriage, whether hetero or homo, just turns me off. It's an antiquated custom.

I think anyone who is in a serious long term relationship, and living with their significant other (contributing to the household, the upbringing of children, etc.) should receive the same benefits and privileges as married couples. Just my opinion.

Then again, maybe it's because I've been in three unsuccessful long term relationships that makes me so cynical.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not married, but would like to be.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
... it's just not my thing. Marriage, whether hetero or homo, just turns me off. It's an antiquated custom.
That's generally how I've felt so far. It sort of surprised me to find myself involved in the fight for 'allowing' same sex marriages but I was involved in a broader human rights activism. In a way it's the same situation as with orientation in that what feels right to one person is different for another in these personal areas. I really seemed to get through to some religious traditionalists by always remembering to tell them that they are right when they say such and such is wrong... wrong for them, and they should listen to others when they are saying something is wrong (or right) for them in the exact same way. I can certainly (begin to) understand something of the bad feelings many have toward the religious however. Like the variety of gender expressions and orientations though I don't think they're going away any time soon.

For all we know, gay monogamous couples may have been around since before any organized religions performed marriage rites over which to feel proprietary. The ancient Spartan Greeks for example. Marriage is a descriptive word rather than the copyrightable or trade-markable invention some seem to claim. As a society we simply need to recognize this, and if we are going to recognize only some that is illogical.

Now back to thinking about golden looping chest hair glistening in the sun... or maybe moonlight?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japhry View Post
I find men in the real world to usually be more attractive than celebrities. With that being said I tend to lean toward the masculine side. Besides The Mac and Stevie-I enjoy quite a lot of other musicians and types of music as well. I am an outdoorsy type who enjoys hiking, the beach and camping vs. a bar any day of the week. I also like board games, (especially scrabble), movies (especially documentaries), reading...etc.
I agree with every bit of this. Random people on the TV/computer screen don't do much for me. My current undying crush is a guy who works at my favorite weekday lunch spot.

And take me hiking & swimming or spend a night in with friends any day over going to a bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I thoroughly support gay marriage, but I have no desire to get "gay married". Don't get me wrong, though. I'm ecstatic for each and everyone of my gay friends who are legally married, but it's just not my thing. Marriage, whether hetero or homo, just turns me off. It's an antiquated custom.

I think anyone who is in a serious long term relationship, and living with their significant other (contributing to the household, the upbringing of children, etc.) should receive the same benefits and privileges as married couples. Just my opinion.

Then again, maybe it's because I've been in three unsuccessful long term relationships that makes me so cynical.
+1. I have no interest in marriage, either... I think I'm just too damned pagan. However, I truly do believe in the marriage equality cause, though. Our governments have no business legislating morality & religion, and all citizens deserve equal rights & protections under their laws.

Last edited by louielouie2000; 07-17-2014 at 06:58 PM..
Old 07-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Morrissey has a new song on the topic which must be considered definitive: "Kick the Bride Down the Aisle" -- the man is a genius.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I. My current undying crush is a guy who works at my favorite weekday lunch spot.
Me too - He's a Chipotle cashier.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Me too - He's a Chipotle cashier.
Mine is an early thirties, hipster graphic designer who rides his bike everywhere and has a locker right next to mine at the gym. Sigh. He doesn't even know I exist...
Old 07-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

To me marriage is about the creation of a family. Not in the have-babies sense, but, you know, my husband is my family. And he's as close to and as bound to me as my mother or my twin sister. Marriage was a step I took to make that level of connectedness "realer" in both the legal and social sense. I don't consider it an outdated custom because to me it's a very accurate representation of my life and the choices I've made thus far. It's not about the ceremony of it (didn't have one) or the "benefits", really, I mean, I know it's nice that I could visit my husband if he fell into a coma or whatever, but I'm not counting on that actually happening. It's just about saying "this person is my family" and having everyone agree by default. But I understand the other perspective, because I definitely never thought I'd do it myself. It's just that after a certain point in my relationship it ended up being the only thing that made sense to do.

I totally appreciate the idea that anyone in a serious live-in LTR should receive the same benefits and privileges as married couples. But practically speaking I think that's sort of difficult to achieve. "Commited-ness" is pretty hard to quantify without some sort of active declaration becoming involved.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
To me marriage is about the creation of a family. Not in the have-babies sense, but, you know, my husband is my family. And he's as close to and as bound to me as my mother or my twin sister. Marriage was a step I took to make that level of connectedness "realer" in both the legal and social sense. I don't consider it an outdated custom because to me it's a very accurate representation of my life and the choices I've made thus far. It's not about the ceremony of it (didn't have one) or the "benefits", really, I mean, I know it's nice that I could visit my husband if he fell into a coma or whatever, but I'm not counting on that actually happening. It's just about saying "this person is my family" and having everyone agree by default. But I understand the other perspective, because I definitely never thought I'd do it myself. It's just that after a certain point in my relationship it ended up being the only thing that made sense to do.
BAM. You nailed it. Spot on.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 07-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

On a less-serious note. I've come to realize that I really only follow Jack Mackenroth on twitter because he sometimes posts pictures of his ass. I find that all his posts related to charity work etc I just kind of scroll past. It seems to be ass or bust.

Am I just completely awful? I so want to be interested in people's charity fundraising. But, like... Ass, though.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default (Fashionably) Late to the Party...

but here I am, none the less.
Loved the first few seasons of QAF, but lost interest somewhere between Seasons 3 & 4
Haven't seen 'Looking' but I tend to binge watch after a show has aired.
My Guilty Pleasure crush is Tom Daley, but I also have this very distracting crush on author Michael Chabon, a specific picture of him just does me in (in fact, I just had a dream last night that I was cuddling with him)
My partner and I have been together for 22 years. I'm 41, he's 50, but being in Texas, no we aren't married (yet).
Did the bar scene in my 20's and 30's, but don't really like to now. Have a great number of gay friends here, which I count as a blessing.
Have I caught up?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Am I just completely awful?
Yes. Yes you are.

Quote:
I so want to be interested in people's charity fundraising. But, like... Ass, though.
Sounds like your dirty mind and my dirty mind should get together and go bowling.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfRhiannon View Post
(Fashionably) Late to the Party...but here I am, none the less.
Welcome, welcome!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfRhiannon View Post
Loved the first few seasons of QAF, but lost interest somewhere between Seasons 3 & 4
You should totally check out the original British series. It was just 1 series and 2 45 minute specials, but it was brilliant. A lot less far-fetched than the US series got. Except for the ending, which was a bit of a let down.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
You should totally check out the original British series. It was just 1 series and 2 45 minute specials, but it was brilliant. A lot less far-fetched than the US series got. Except for the ending, which was a bit of a let down.
Read my review where I explain the profound significance of the ending in my book Serpents and Doves (link below). GREAT show. (the british version. the american version was, as the brits would say, ****e)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.