Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post

Hear that Stevie?
Since Ken says Stevie didn't sequence Rumours, it would be interesting to hear sequencing stories about the other albums -- other than from Stevie herself.

Michele
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Since Ken says Stevie didn't sequence Rumours, it would be interesting to hear sequencing stories about the other albums -- other than from Stevie herself.

Michele
Whomever was responsible for that, I'd like to ask them why they didn't include any of Lindsey's songs on side two.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Whomever was responsible for that, I'd like to ask them why they didn't include any of Lindsey's songs on side two.
Well he did get credit as a cowriter on The Chain is featured prominently in that song as well as singing co -lead on IDWTK..what is stranger to me is that Tusk goes on for 9 songs..almost a full album back then. with no Christine.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If it was Judy Wong maybe she just could take Lindsey for only limited periods of time and didn't want to extend the agony.

Michele
Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
"Delusional LOON, party of one".

And I think she believes her own fabrications.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
Quote:
Maybe it really was Stevie! No Silver Springs, buster? Oh, yeah - I'll show you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
"Delusional LOON, party of one".

And I think she believes her own fabrications.
Of course, she does!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From my post in an old thread about Christine's Tusk songs.

Two of my friends responded to this query. I thought their responses were interesting, PARTICULARLY my Friend #2's distillation of Tusk.

Friend #1:
Quote:
Part of the difficulty is Christine's consistent songwriting excellence which immediately points to her deft grasp of the lite-pop idiom that shines in "Think About Me" and "Never Forget." I always thought "Over and Over" was the most exquisitely produced track on Tusk which leaves the profoundly simple (simply profound?) "Honey Hi" and the amazing sensuality of "Brown Eyes." Up against the wall, I'd have to pick "Over and Over."
Friend #2:
Quote:
I'm gonna say "Never Forget" - which I never thought I'd say - this is after listening to Tusk twice all the way through
Then, after hearing the result of the poll:

Quote:
I think "Brown Eyes" was my favorite after the FIRST listen. I mean, it's all perfect! Among so many other things, the album is a peerless epic of friendship. The purely spiritual harmonies that link Lindsey, Stevie, and Christine's voices and perspectives also validate each individual performer/songwriter's deepest humanity. On Rumours, each of the three certainly had a compelling story to tell; on Tusk, each one comes to represent a distinct state of lovers' consciousness.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 08-09-2012 at 03:29 PM..
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a very uneven album. Never understood the "cutting edge" reputation. This might apply for the title track and a few more of Buckingham's songs, but otherwise it's FM snoozeland.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
It's a very uneven album. Never understood the "cutting edge" reputation. This might apply for the title track and a few more of Buckingham's songs, but otherwise it's FM snoozeland.
Agreed.

I would even say that Lindsey's tracks aren't all that "cutting edge", and yes, even for 1979; maybe as far as songs coming from FM, but not in general.

I think Lindsey's songs on Mirage are far, far more bizarre and "against the then-grain" than any of his songs on Tusk. The Tusk songs I can listen to and hear rock songs. His Mirage songs, to me, sound cartoonish; to this day I can't listen to a single one of them. They should be playing in the background while Wile E. Coyote chases the Road Runner.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMagic View Post
I do often wonder what Stand Back would have sounded like if Lindsey produced it instead. I like the solo version dont get me wrong, but I'm curious of how far Lindsey would have taken it musically.

Leather and Lace I think would have been an awesome Lindsey and Stevie duet given their history together.

I do like In Your Dreams. But I've only heard it once in a sitting. So I can't give a definitive opinion. That album is a definately a grower.

Anyway in regard to NTF I listen to the musical arrangement moreso than the lyrics. I think it's awesome but to each their own. To me, the worst Lindsey song is Bwana. That's a piece of junk. That is hard for me to admit given how I love Lindsey's solo work. In fact aside from 2 or 3 songs I dont really care for Lindsey's first solo album. I do love Go Insane, Out of The Cradle, indifferent to UTS, love Gift of Screws and undecided on Seeds we sow.

I wish Lindsey get back more into adventurous music territory. I love his current stuff. But kind of feel he's treading some water musically. Would love to see him work with Brian Eno, as their production styles are very similar.
Well SB would have been a completely different creature. You know that Prince wrote the music(although uncredited), right? So obviously, it wouldn't be the same song...not even close!

I can't imagine L&L without Don Henley's signature rasp. I don't think Lindsey's whine would have worked.

I finally got In Your Dreams, a couple of weeks ago. So far, "meh". There are a couple of tracks that I like, but the rest just hasn't excited me, yet. I've listened to the whole thing, 3 times. I always give any album at least 5 full listens, before I make final judgement, though...

I like Bwana, and honestly, for me, Law and Order is a masterpiece. Hands down, my favorite LB album. Even weirder than Tusk!

I agree that he's treading water now. Can he or Stevie, either one, no longer make a song that ROCKS? Come on, enough with the sleepy MUZAK!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

GAG doesn't rock? The last half of that song sends me to the moon.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 08-09-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Old 08-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post

I agree...I love Ghosts are Gone...its a true rock n roll song...the guitar licks are second only to Edge of 17...I wanted her to open her tour with GAG
Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

GAG is just very like... run of the mill, to me. It's just like a generic rock song. I feel like you could cut Stevie's vocals out and replace it with a number of other peoples voices and you'd never know anything was wrong, if that makes sense. It's a good tune it just doesn't stand out to me.

Love IYD as a whole though. It's been in my car for over a year and I still listen to it nearly every drive.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stand Back

Quote:
Well SB would have been a completely different creature. You know that Prince wrote the music(although uncredited), right? So obviously, it wouldn't be the same song...not even close!
Prince wrote the Stand Back music? I had read he collaborated and I was going to say the he didn't he actually co-wrote it. However after a short research I found more details of his participation in this song (that's why I love The Ledge, it makes me learn new things every day). What I always knew was what Stevie said in the Timespace cd book:

I got married the day i wrote this song. We were driving to Santa barbara and a new song by Prince came on, so we pulled over somewhere and got the tape. It just gave me an incredible idea, so I spent many hours that night writing a song about some kind of a criz argument, and it was to becamo one of th most important of my songs.

Funny to find she said she got married in a cd book, while she said she "never got married, because there wasn't time" in the Making of Rumours 1997 VH1 DVD.

So then I found today this MTV interview, where she describes more the Prince participation (again she mentions the marriage, one of her typical contradictions):

"I'm driving to my honeymoon night in Santa Barbara from L.A., and 'Little Red Corvette' comes on," she recalled. "We're like oh my God, it's Prince! So I start singing all these words, and I'm like, 'Pull over, we have to get a cassette player! And we have to record this!' I'm writing in the car — here we are, newlyweds, and we get to our hotel and we're setting up the tape recorder and I've made up my whole new melody to [the song]. So I haven't really ripped off the song, because I'm admitting that I have done this. So we go into a studio in Los Angeles a couple weeks later and I track down Prince's phone number — and because I'm Stevie Nicks, I can get it.

"I call him, and I never thought he was going to answer, or that it would be him, or that I would ever find him — and he answers. I said, 'Prince, this is Stevie Nicks, and I wrote a song to your song 'Little Red Corvette,' and we're at Sunset Sound right now, and I was wondering — first of all, I wanted to tell you that I'm giving you 50 percent of [the royalties] it if it ever goes anywhere, but are you in town? If you are, how would you feel about coming down and playing on it?' Never in a million years did I think this man would be like, 'I'll be right there.' He was there in 20 minutes and he played [she mimes instrumental parts of the song] on 'Stand Back,' and he was there an hour and a half, and then he left."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/160...h-prince.jhtml

PS: Is he still receiving the royalties of all Stand Back versions??
Old 08-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
I agree that he's treading water now. Can he or Stevie, either one, no longer make a song that ROCKS? Come on, enough with the sleepy MUZAK!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
exactly TrueFaith. sometimes i read people's posts like Homer's above and go - huh? have you even listened once to the stuff that you are providing this sooo authoritative opinion about?

one can like or not GAG, or That's The Way Love Goes, Illumination, One Take, the list goes on and on... but saying there's nothing that rocks in the most recent output from SN or LB just makes such posts completely non-credible.

puzzling...

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"