Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Miranda. I don't get it.

Miranda..wow, very depressing song. I keep reading people say they think this song is about prostitution??? I don't see it. Elaborate please.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 10-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I think it's about Ann Heche, at least in part. I don't really know, though. But I love it.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I think it's about Ann Heche, at least in part. I don't really know, though. But I love it.
Celestia, Celestia!

Old 10-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure what it's about (I rarely am) but I do love it, and it's my favorite Lindsey song on SYW.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal
I'm not sure what it's about (I rarely am) but I do love it, and it's my favorite Lindsey song on SYW.
It's one of his best crafted songs. Everything's in place, compact yet moody. And the lyrics are wonderful. I don't get it either, but that's what i love about it. I'm totally not interested in the meaning of the lyrics, so sorry, can't help you. I'm satisfied with the answer: It's about miranda, who's taking the stars down.

Old 10-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
It's one of his best crafted songs. Everything's in place, compact yet moody. And the lyrics are wonderful. I don't get it either, but that's what i love about it. I'm totally not interested in the meaning of the lyrics, so sorry, can't help you. I'm satisfied with the answer: It's about miranda, who's taking the stars down.
It is easily for me one of the best songs on SYW. It is the perfect combination of LB's masterful production and La Nicks' clever harmonies.

I say the same for Murrow.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 10-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
I'm satisfied with the answer: It's about miranda, who's taking the stars down.
i love you.

it's a fun song to sing, i don't read too much into it. i definitely get the anne heche vibe. but at the same time, isn't mrs. buckingham a photographer? who used cameras in her former life? maybe she stuck a few right into her arm? i don't know.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal

Yikes! As much as I love Lindsey, and he's the reason I got into the Mac...I really dislike the song, lyrically and the way he sings it. The only redeeming quality is those loopy guitar parts at the end.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon
Yikes! As much as I love Lindsey, and he's the reason I got into the Mac...I really dislike the song, lyrically and the way he sings it. The only redeeming quality is those loopy guitar parts at the end.
What is it you don't like about the lyrics?
Old 10-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP
Miranda..wow, very depressing song. I keep reading people say they think this song is about prostitution??? I don't see it. Elaborate please.
I don't know that it's about prostitution, per se. Miranda seems to be a bit of a star****er, though. She's a woman who was deeply scarred by the sexual abuse she experienced at the hands of her father, to the point that she is unable to bear being in a loving relationship. Instead, she represses her emotional and sexual issues by entering into high-profile sexual relationships with celebrities. Or she may be a celebrity herself, and she uses that celebrity to repress her pain and convince herself that she's part of something bigger, something meaningful. That actually may be more likely. In the end, though, of course, Miranda is always alone.

That's how I interpret it, anyway. It's a dark and achingly beautiful song, with some of Lindsey's most wonderfully evocative lyrics ever. "She sticks the camera right into her arm" - just perfect. That's like a line in a Sylvia Plath poem.

(By the way, why aren't the Say You Will lyrics in the Penguin lyric archive?)

(Didn't the Ledge have a Lyrics Interpretation forum back in the day?)
Old 10-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I don't know that it's about prostitution, per se. Miranda seems to be a bit of a star****er, though. She's a woman who was deeply scarred by the sexual abuse she experienced at the hands of her father, to the point that she is unable to bear being in a loving relationship. Instead, she represses her emotional and sexual issues by entering into high-profile sexual relationships with celebrities. Or she may be a celebrity herself, and she uses that celebrity to repress her pain and convince herself that she's part of something bigger, something meaningful. That actually may be more likely. In the end, though, of course, Miranda is always alone.

Which brings us back around to Anne Heche.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Which brings us back around to Anne Heche.
I figured! I can't say that I read her memoir or know anything about her personal life beyond the fact that she dated Lindsey. I do seem to remember reading somewhere that she has a history of abuse, is that right?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can't say that I read her memoir
i read it...all told two pages...her treatment of lindsey i abhor
Old 10-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That's how I interpret it, anyway. It's a dark and achingly beautiful song, with some of Lindsey's most wonderfully evocative lyrics ever. "She sticks the camera right into her arm" - just perfect. That's like a line in a Sylvia Plath poem.

(By the way, why aren't the Say You Will lyrics in the Penguin lyric archive?)

(Didn't the Ledge have a Lyrics Interpretation forum back in the day?)
I'll jump in on this one coz Miranda is one of my favorite songs of Lindsey's. I think it is about Anne Heche coz doesn't she seem kind of flighty to you? She had a nervous breakdown finally. I think the song is about a chick who was abused as a kid (she sees her father holding her down) and then as an adult, she *hates to be loved but she loves to be seen*. So I think Miranda (Anne) loved the spotlight and the publicity but she couldn't make a real commitment to anybody. I get the feeling she was plastic. I really do like this song and I could actually be more of a fan of Lindsey if he did more songs like this. I love *she sticks the camera right into her arm* and it's one of the best lines ever and I didn't know it was from a poem.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagringader&r
I love *she sticks the camera right into her arm* and it's one of the best lines ever and I didn't know it was from a poem.
Oh, it's not, I just meant it seems like a line that could be in a Plath poem, that kind of really jarring imagery that just smashes two different concepts together (in this case, drug use and celebrity) and manages to evoke so much more than the two concepts alone ever could.

Not that Lindsey doesn't have a penchant for stealing lines from American female poets...